90% Probability Dec. trip will have to be postponed.. Need advice, please..

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
As some of you may know, I had a trip planned to Disney for Dec. - a C'mas gift to my grown DD and my 5 yr. old granddaughter..

Well - over the weekend my DD was rushed to the hospital (severe bleeding and pain) and she's going to require surgery.. We had hoped the surgeon would see her today, but I just left the hospital and she hadn't arrived yet..

Anyhow - even if she makes a speedy recovery from the surgery, between the loss of time from work and the financial impact on her family, it doesn't seem feasible we'll still be able to make the trip in early Dec.. (Wouldn't you know our MVMCP tickets just came in the mail last week! :( Drats!) However, we could probably still make the trip in Jan., Feb., or very early March because she automatically receives 5 weeks paid vacation as soon as the new year rolls in..

We're very disappointed over having to miss MVMCP but we're thinking maybe we could do a very short trip in Dec. of 2004 instead.. I'll just have to try to sell the tickets we have now and leave it at that..

Our airfare has already been purchased but because we went with Southwest we should be able to use the credit to make the new trip after C'mas..

To get to the point though (yes- I do have one - just kind of rambling today) - which time period would you choose - and WHY? School is not an issue and we would like to avoid any crowded holiday periods, etc..

When would the weather be best? When are the parks the least crowded? And are there any special events during those 3 time periods we should avoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!

I hope your DD feels better soon. One thing I would do immediately, is call Disney about your MVMCP tickets. They can be very accommodating about these situations, and under the circumstances might let you return them.

Meanwhile, if you're looking for early 2004 advice, for the best weather and crowds, try early to mid-February, just before, but not including President's Day weekend.

Hope you have a great time.

Ciao,
Mort.

Sorry to hear about your daughter :( What a bummer! Maybe the extra time will be good for the healing process and she will have a better time and more stamina for the trip. (Trying to find a silver lining here)

January - I have personally never been but have two sets of friends who have. They said it was cooold... (but we're from the south, so that's a relative term) but VERY LIGHT CROWDS!!

February - Beware of President's Day Week and Weekend and be aware of mardi gras on February 24. Still I think this is a great time of year and have done it twice - very mild weather, and light crowds.

March - still light crowds if you watch the calendar for spring break, etc... wouldn't go toward the end of the month - would stick to the beginning AND we had to buy more shorts at the outlet malls the weather got so warm.

Don't know if this helps but I like this time frame. The crowds are certainly worth considering and if you stick with January/early February it is value season!
:D

I am very sorry to hear about your predicament and I hope she is feeling better very soon!

Our upcoming trip is in January, but only because we have to use up our DVC points. Now everyone I know has said that January is by far the best month to go if low crowds and getting right on rides is really important to you. So I look forward to that.
But, the weather if very iffy. It can be cold or it can be beautiful. Its a risk.
I don't know about February.
My vote for you is MARCH. If I had my choice, I would go to DW in a second during any part of this month. The weather is absolutely gorgeous. High 70's and dry! Swimming is perfect. The crowds were spring breakers, but that didn't bother us at all.
So it comes down to what is really important to you. Low crowds or beautiful weather with moderate crowds. Happy decision making!!

So sorry to hear about your DD. She will be in our prayers. I can only suggest going while school is in and not around any holidays. I hope your DD makes a speedy recovery and you'll have a wonderful trip when you get to go. :)

Cindy

Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies - and the good wishes for my DD! So nice of all of you..

Maybe if I told you a bit more about what we're "into" and "not into" you could continue to advise...

First off, we don't do any of the rides that usually seem to have the really long lines - you know, Space Mountain and that sort of thing.. It's mostly the little kids rides and shows we're interested in.. So - that might make a difference in terms of "crowds"???

We were there in Sept. of 2001 and the heat, humidity, and RAIN was horrendous!! That is something we DEFINTELY would want to avoid..

I doubt we'd be interested in any of the water parks, so that's a consideration in terms of weather..

We'll be traveling from upstate NY and I do have some concerns about the weather HERE causing a problem getting THERE.. Of course leaving here in the winter, if it were 60 degrees down there it would probably feel GREAT to us - LOL!!

Keep the suggestions - and "avoidance" issues coming.. I want to get this alternate trip planned just in case and then when it's closer to Dec. I'll cancel things if need be and reserve for the new dates..

Thanks again! I just LOOOOOOVE these boards and the helpful folks here.. Makes planning so much easier! :)

My vote would definitely be for early February. Either the 1st or 2nd week is perfect - just be out of there before President's Day Weekend starts. We go every year during this time, and I love it. You can basically just walk on the rides - alot of the Fast Pass booths are not even set up because there is no need for them. We live in Florida, and January is really our coldest month, especially at night. If you go with March, I would definitely try the first week because Spring Break starts early here. Ours is the 2nd week of March.

We went in January 02 and had a fabulous time. While the weather is iffy, we found it to be refreshing. We still wore shorts/t-shirts during the day and night. We were there in December 02 and wore jeans and sweaters some days and every evening, so I know the weather can be unpredictable. However, even though you don't ride the rides with long lines, it is nice to not be shoulder to shoulder with other people. It made the day seem a lot better! Plus, January is closer than March! :tongue:

I hope your DD has a speedy recovery. By the way, I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and am sorry that you will probably have to postpone your trip. You're a great mom and grandma to plan this trip for your DD and GD! :D

MVMCP tickets - DH had to have back surgery in 12/2000 and we had to cancel our early december trip. We had mvmcp tickets and I called Disney ticket office and advised I could return the tickets for a full refund...which I did, and promptly received. Disney is usually quite good about helping their guests when trips are canceled due to medical reasons.

Hope your daughter is on the road to recovery soon..and you all have a magical 2004 vacation!

Peggy Sue

Hope your daughter does well soon, C.Ann. My very best wishes for her. Yes, call Disney on the MVMCP tickets, I am confident they will accomodate you.

I have been in Feb, itwas delightful.

No advice... just wanted to pass along my thoughts to you and your daughter... sorry you had to postpone your trip :(

I would say late February, after Mardi Gras. I wouldn't go in January... weather too unpredictable or early February for the same reason. If you wait until March, you have kids starting to get out for Spring Break, and yes, they do ride the attractions in Fantasyland, as well.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you have no problems with your MVMCP tickets, and that your daughter makes a speedy recovery.:)

Originally posted by eeyore0062
I would say late February, after Mardi Gras. I wouldn't go in January... weather too unpredictable or early February for the same reason. If you wait until March, you have kids starting to get out for Spring Break, and yes, they do ride the attractions in Fantasyland, as well.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you have no problems with your MVMCP tickets, and that your daughter makes a speedy recovery.:)
-------------------------------------

Could someone please advise me what the dates of Mardi Gras are??

Thanks so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter