A Canadian on Oahu - trip report Feb 4-20 2022!

Inga

DIS Veteran
Hi All

We are here in Oahu so thought I would drop a few updates to ya’ll as I have gotten so much back from these boards over the years!

Scene: DH and I, from Halifax NS. Spending one week Waikiki Beach, 1 week Aulani. First trip out of province since pre-Covid. Have been to Hawaii a handful of times in the past. Are DVC members

Trip dates/flight path: planned to overnight in Toronto on Fri the 5th but ice storm forced us out a day earlier- so we flew out on the last plane on Thursday, Feb 4th, night in Toronto, then Toronto - Vancouver, then Vancouver- Honolulu. We were able to change our flight with Air Canada for free only when there was a travel advisory due to weather, so it was a mad rush that day to get everything packed up and ready to go.

Covid stuff: had a rapid test in Halifax through a private company on the day of departure. I do a rapid Covid test every 72 hours for work (I work in a hospital) so this was easy peasy as I normally ram that thing up so far my nose, and their application was a gentle dusting of the nostrils! I knew it was going to be negative because I did a rapid earlier that morning and it was negative. We had to bring our passport to the test appointment so it could be added to our documentation related to the test result. Within 15 minutes I got an email and we printed off the doc and brought it with us to the airport. Because we were travelling directly from Canada, we did not have to complete any online safe travels Hawaii stuff.

Airport experience: Checking in online was a much longer process than previously as we had to upload new documents, etc. it was extensive. In Halifax, the airport is like a ghost town. Many of the restaurants are closed. The Air Canada agent went through all of our Covid docs and was able to print off boarding passes with notation on the boarding pass itself that we met all of our flight to Hawaii requirements, and checked our bags all the way to Hawaii which was great. Security was a breeze in Halifax as volumes are low, although the security staff were cranky. At the Toronto airport it felt like it was business as usual…lots of people. Very cold and very snowy. We stayed overnight on Marriott points at the Element…was great. Hot breakfast included. Flights to Vancouver and Honolulu uneventful….wearing a mask all the time is a drag tho. Makes my nose itch so I am forever touching my face which is not good infection control measures! On the flight, it felt safe. The airports tho, physical distancing is almost non-existent. Everyone is wearing a mask.

Arrival in Honolulu Airport: got off the plane, no special lines, to baggage claim, got bags, and left. Super easy. No special additional Covid checks at arrival or anything. No waits. We had pre-arranged a car to pick us up through Super Limosine Service. We have booked them to pick us up from airport to Waikiki, Waikiki to Aulani, then at the end of our trip from Aulani to airport. We were a bit put off that they charged us immediately after booking, but frankly they have been nothing but accommodating and attentive so far. We had to change our arrival and departure times several times due to the airline changes, with no problem. They were waiting for us when we arrived - we went out to meet them (no person with a sign at the airport, we went to a designated place). We bought the Lei package so they gave us a lei before getting into…get this…a white stretch limo. We weren’t expecting that. It had chasing lights on the inside, could have fit 8 people. We thought it was pretty funny!

Stay at Queen Kapiolani, Waikiki Beach: First time staying at Queen Kapiolani, love this place. We have a diamond head/ocean view…amazing. We had to book an extra night for our early arrival and they were able to link it to our other 7 day stay so no moving around. We can hear the zoo animals at dusk and dawn getting riled up. There is still plenty of action at this end of Waikiki beach but not as intense. We see the sunrise and sunset every morning from our room or our deck. Think 180 panorama of diamond head and the beach, from our bed as it’s all windows. Lovely. First day we headed out for coffee and macadamia croissants and didn’t have to go far - went to the cafe within the hotel (note: no coffee machine in room!). Was great but of course expensive ($38 CDN for 2 coffees two croissants). Then once daylight, went for a walk further down on the beach walk toward Diamondhead and had a pineapple smoothie (in a pineapple of course) at Barefoot beach cafe. Great place to people watch, we’ll be back for supper and we understand they have live music too. We made a last minute reservation for 10:30am at Hulu Grill (we watch a lot of Amanda and Felix youtube videos so some of our food choices reflect that) where we had the loco moco and the mac pancakes. All good. They checked our vaccine status at the door and had no issue with our Canadian docs. There was a Chinese New Year celebration happening throughout the area so we got some great interaction with dancing dragons! We had an afternoon nap and then went to the Deck for happy hour. Friendly staff, the sliders were good, great views of diamond head. Their Mai Tai isn’t our favourite by a long shot, actually none of the 2 happy hour cocktails we liked. We also spent $93 CDN for 4 drinks and 2 appetizers during happy hour! This will be an expensive food trip. We went for a walk, then came back and they serve dole whips at our hotel - pretty good.

Next day (Sunday) we rented a car and went to the Aloha swap meet at the Stadium. Hertz rental at the Hyatt was super easy, especially if you are gold members. we got some great stuff at the swap meet, lots of inexpensive Hawaiian stuff…it’s so big….we were there for a few hours and our feet were aching by the end of it. But got a nice haul of stuff, and even 4 wine glasses for $1.50 - as our room is very short on these things, it was a cheap way to get glasses. We ended up that night getting a bottle(s) of wine to enjoy on our deck. We then went to Honolulu to the Original Pancake House (another Amanda and Felix recommendation) and we really loved it. As they say, super OG and local vibe. If you go there, get the apple pancake, it’s incredible. They not only check your vaccine documentation, but take your temperature. We then went for a drive to Kailua beach. This is one frickin beautiful beach. Tough to get parking on the weekend tho, probably spent more time finding parking than actual time on the beach. We walked the beach…gorgeous.

Returned the car to Hertz and picked up some munchies from the ABC store, and that was pretty well the end to the evening! In reflection I guess we did quite a bit, while also watching Scotties and Olympic curling!

More adventure awaits today!

Attachments

• 30E49C04-9A03-43EF-9BD4-9DE0D61DAD5F.jpeg
    30E49C04-9A03-43EF-9BD4-9DE0D61DAD5F.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 942DCDF8-9F40-49EA-A0A7-DA04247F6B20.jpeg
    942DCDF8-9F40-49EA-A0A7-DA04247F6B20.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Following and loving..thanks...as a fellow Canuck,,going 1st time in July. Good to hear they accept our vac certificates..was it the qr code,,or print out?..expecting high pricrs,,is this in can$ or us$. ?.
We are staying whole 10 days at aulani, but will visit waikiki from there.
Thanks for the update.
Might see you at Halifax dock in August as droping daughters at family home in Windsor for 2 weeks so they can enjoy down home living.

Last edited:
Good to hear they accept our vac certificates..was it the qr code,,or print out?..expecting high pricrs,,is this in can$ or us$. ?.

Might see you at Halifax dock in Nov as droping daughters at family home in Windsor for 2 weeks so they can enjoy down home living.

We just had the paper printout certificates - we can print out small wallet- sized cards that I laminated at work. They aren’t able to do anything like scan QR codes…they thought we were pretty advanced…little do they know :). They were very accepting of what we had even tho they weren’t familiar with it.

All of the prices I quote were in CDN except the $1.50 for the wine glasses ;).

See you in HFX In the fall!

Nice TR so far - thanks for posting!

I did notice though… no mention of malasada’s so far….:sad1:

(Always first thing I do when I go home…. Even before I see mom!)
If you do make a trip up the street to Leonard’s, right next door is “Kono’s” - good place for some local food. Also on Kapahulu is Da Ono Hawaiian food - good place if you want to try real local foods. I hear their prices have gone up though. “Helena’s” is probably still the best option, but Da One’s is very convenient.

Last edited:
Nice TR so far - thanks for posting!

I did notice though… no mention of malasada’s so far….:sad1:

(Always first thing I do when I go home…. Even before I see mom!)
If you do make a trip up the street to Leonard’s, right next door is “Kono’s” - good place for some local food. Also on Kapahulu is Da Ono Hawaiian food - good place if you want to try real local foods. I hear their prices have gone up though. “Helena’s” is probably still the best option, but Da One’s is very convenient.

Yes, we drove by Leonard’s yesterday - we’ll get there! Thanks for the other recommendations!

I wasn’t planning on doing a frequent post but DH is inside snoring (after I mentioned I would like to hike diamond head this morning - I guess it waits for another day :( )…so, Monday Waikiki learnings:

- we walked the beach this morning. There is a considerable sand slope as you round in front of the Surfrider, we weren’t sure if it was due to costal erosion or efforts to dump additional sand to combat the erosion. Either way, you can see how climate is having an impact on this area. There are discussions underway as to how to combat it, as the first floors of some of these hotels will eventually flood. I guess some of the suggestions include getting rid of the 1st floors of each hotel and doing the ’Venice strategy’, whereby there will be walkways and an assumption that 1st floors are no longer usable or predictably dry.
- people experiencing homelessness and other issues. It is really in your face some of the societal issues the world is facing, here in Waikiki. Every walk will result in you seeing someone sleeping on the sidewalk or acting strangely. We avoid going out after the sun goes down, and my DH is not usually this cautious. A combo of drunken tourists and other strange behaviours. We ran into a gentleman in a wheelchair, still with his hospital armband on and in a Johnny shirt. He indicated he was just discharged from hospital and was cold - could we buy him a few shots of vodka to warm him up? Oh dear, well we won’t buy you alcohol, but will $5 help? What can you do? Anyhow, just to know it’s out there, be prepared to see it if it’s something that isn’t happening in your community currently, if you aren’t used to it.
- Mai Tais - complete change of topic and probably inappropriately so, but in our search for the best Mai Tai, we knew we needed to go to the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar. It is simply the best Mai Tais we have had - ever. We can’t recreate this at home - we’ve tried. Sitting on their outside patio drinking Mai Tais continues to be one of our favourite experiences in Waikiki. Keep in mind the Mai Tais are $20 US each, but they are generous and very good. Rather spend $20 on a great drink than $12 on a lousy one. Perfection. Service and atmosphere was great! 3/3. We will do this again before the week is over.
- Açai breakfast bowls - these are simply fabulous. We used google maps to find the best rated place and it took us to Tucker and Bevvy which seems to be a chain here. I had the organic açai bowl and it was generous (DH and I shared it for breakfast) and very delicious. Need to do this on a more regular basis as loco mocos aren’t great for the waistline. Very refreshing breakfast.
-The Deck restaurant part 2- we were sitting by the pool at our hotel and the Deck is just right there, so we ordered a few drinks. Man, they just can’t seem to get their mixed drinks right. Tasteless. I think we’ve given up on the Deck, unfortunately, despite it being so dang convenient!
-Dukes - we had 4:45pm ressies at Dukes. To be completely honest we were planning a happy hour meal here, but Dukes does not have a Happy Hour, as it turns out (the Internet lied! Marvel that). The place was packed and despite our efforts to come a little earlier and get a table earlier, we waited right up until our reservation time (mental note, when they say 4:45 here at Duke’s, they mean 4:45). We had an absolutely fabulous table, was perfect. Meal was ok. Service was great. So 2/3 was exceptional (ambiance, service) and 1/3 was pretty good but not fabulous (food). The Mai Tais are pretty good here too, and they serve it in a fun Tiki glass mug (that I might want to purchase in the gift shop to take home). Approximately $200 US for 2 beer and 2 mixed drinks, two appetizers and two mains.

And on to Tuesday we go…

Last edited:
Part 3 -Tuesday!

We are now on part 3, or day 4, of our trip...

A few thoughts on the day
- Spent time on the beach today, in different parts. Our hotel had a few boogie boards and floaty items we could borrow as past guests have left it there so they will give it out. We know we can rent down the beach but it becomes a somewhat complicated carrying-money situation so we thought this would be a great option to just borrow from the hotel. The folks at our hotel are just the nicest and most helpful folks you’ll find anywhere. We went in a non-sea wall area to see if we could ride a few waves. We had water shoes and I tell ya, with the coral in some of those areas, it really saved our feet. We quickly learned that we did not have the skills to navigate waves and coral (we are masters swimmers, not surfers) so we moved to a calmer area with a seawall to do some flotation and swimming. Well, we are sold on this particular area just down from our hotel that has a seawall and very calm water. I was able to swim a few lengths too, although the water isn’t deep. DH floated to his hearts content. It was totally chill and peaceful. We’ll be back with floaties to do it again. We priced the floatie that we borrowed (it is full length, with cup holder and neck support) at the ABC store and it’s only $13.00 USD! Where have you been all my life! We are seriously considering buying two for our time out on the lagoon at Aulani. Fabulous.

Lunch today was at Rainbow drive in - classic spot. We walked to it, probably 15 minutes easy walk. Some shade along the walk so it wasn't taxing at all. The food was inexpensive - and underwhelming. We got the Mix plate and the BBQ pork plate. I’m not a big mac salad fan (mayo - ick) and the meats were just ok. They have picnic tables out to eat so that worked for us. All-in-all can’t really recommend. $29 CDN for that lunch.

Had coffee at Kai Coffee which is the 2nd time for us, the coffee is excellent, great service, but quite expensive! I had a latte, DH had an iced tea, and we bought a bottle of water, all for the low, low price of $23.57 CDN (without tip).

Tonight we were at the Barefoot Beach Cafe to have a light super, listen to some music (he took my request to play ‘Tiny Bubbles’ by the iconic Don Ho) and watch the sun go down. It is cafeteria style, you go up and order/pay at the window, they call your name and you pick it up. Food is good and reasonably priced (I had an excellent BBQ chicken sandwich). We went at 5, music started at 5:30, it filled up quickly after we arrived. I guess I’m not on Aloha time yet, as i became irritated by a family next door that didn’t have their vaccination docs but assured the waitress ‘don’t worry, we’ve all been vaccinated’. Who goes to a restaurant these days without vaccination docs…unless you aren’t vaccinated? I call BS on that, but really shouldn’t let that bother me. Gotta move on.

I have to say, I have not seen even a whiff of discontent from locals about tourists. We have been treated so nicely by everyone since we’ve been here, everywhere we go!

Tomorrow is another car rental and to the Ranch for an ATV tour! Nighty night all!

this was easy peasy as I normally ram that thing up so far my nose, and their application was a gentle dusting of the nostrils!
Well….other than nearly snorting orange juice out my nostrils when I read this, really enjoying your TR!! Love all the details. Sounds like you’re just relaxing and soaking up the warm Hawaii days…..nice.

PS our experience of weather here in February has been phenomenal. I had heard that it is the coldest, wettest month. Everyday has been hot and sunshine, with a few clouds to give us relief. 28 degrees Celsius feels like it’s in the 30s - probably due to sun position and our acclimitization to that (although it’s cold at home it is still 4 degrees Celsius (40 F) so it’s not like we came from a deep freeze) . it’s been gorgeous and any weather concerns, abated.

@Inga if you have not tried Honolulu Cookie Company macadamia nut shortbread yet, you have to do it!
I think the closest one to Queen Kapiolani is in the Waikiki Marriott.
There are soooo goood

PS our experience of weather here in February has been phenomenal. I had heard that it is the coldest, wettest month. Everyday has been hot and sunshine, with a few clouds to give us relief. 28 degrees Celsius feels like it’s in the 30s - probably due to sun position and our acclimitization to that (although it’s cold at home it is still 4 degrees Celsius (40 F) so it’s not like we came from a deep freeze) . it’s been gorgeous and any weather concerns, abated.
You have great timing. The weather is rarely bad, but in February you’ll usually have a mix of clear and cloudy (mornings if not days) but it’s been mostly clear for several weeks straight now.

My brother’s last 3 trips have been either cloudy, or bad weather advisory, so he has the bad luck!

@Inga if you have not tried Honolulu Cookie Company macadamia nut shortbread yet, you have to do it!
I think the closest one to Queen Kapiolani is in the Waikiki Marriott.
There are soooo goood
Honolulu Cookie Co’s are good, but a lot of people prefer Big Island Candies shortbread cookies. They have a location in Ala Moana mall (downstairs, by the hula stage in the center of the mall).

Both are good, but we only buy Big Island’s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter