A couple of simple questions about GKTW

Beast fan

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We will be guests of GKTW in just over 2 weeks (from 8/15-8/21) and I have just a few questions for those who have stayed there....

Do they provide any laundry detergent supplied? If so, do you know what brand? DW is allergic to most detergents, and there is only one brand to which she has discovered no allergies.

I've heard from a couple of people who have stayed @ GKTW that the refrigerator is, at least partially, stocked with refreshments. Since Coca-Cola is a major contributor to GKTW, is that who supplies the refreshments? What is stocked, if you don't mind me asking? Hey, I'll be absolutely thrilled if all they stock is bottled water.

I apologize for asking all of these questions. I just want to know what we have to get at the nearest grocery store.

Thank you to all who read and/or answer this thread. DS(almost)5, who is battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is really looking forward to this trip.

Dave

I don't have the answers for you since we'll be going to GKTW in June. But I did want to wish you the best on your son's battle with ALL. When was your son dx'd? Do you have a caring bridge page or other page for your son? My daughter, Mickey, was dx'd with ALL in Dec. 2004. She starts Delayed Intense 2 tomorrow! Once that phase is over we go into long-term maintenance till Feb 2007. Our website is www.deputyfamily.net. We do daily updates there if you want to check us out.

Jenny

Hi Beast Fan,

I love your signature picture of little David! How cute. I haven't stayed at GKTW for about ten years now so my information isn't current on detergent(although it was provided). I'm sure the offerings have changed but when we were there our fridge was stocked everyday with milk, orange juice, water, some other type of juice other than apple(DS is allergic to apples),Oscar Meyer lunchables, and I think bread and butter. They also have an onsite restaurant that is free to the families and the food was very good and plentiful. The place looks like something you would dream up. It has a real fantastical quality to it. My son enjoyed it more than I could ever express. He still talks about it to this day and there are not many things he is able to remember b/c of daily seizures.

They have a very good website but I can't remember the TOS for the DIS and if they prevent linking of other sites. If you google Give Kids The World, I think it is the first site that comes up. There are some contact numbers and email addresses on the very bottom right hand side of the page where it says "contact us". They took care of EVERYTHING for us, though. I can't think of a need we had that wasn't taken care of. DS got sick while we were there and they conferenced with our own doctors back home and got him well and touring again in 24 hours. I'm sorry my information isn't more current. Hopefully someone who has gone recently can comment on your needs and what was specifically available. Good luck with everything and have a wonderful trip!! :grouphug: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :banana:

Their website is www.gktw.org
It is a very good website and (as mentioned) does have a "Contact Us" link at the bottom. A few years ago, the DIS site actually did a fund raising activity for GKTW.
I'm pretty sure that if you were to tell them that you only wanted bottled water stocked in your refrigerator, that is all they would stock. After all, there are kids visiting there who are on special diets and/or have dietary restrictions and they would not want to put food in the villa that is going to cause a problem for your family.
I know that Proctor and Gamble is one of their corporate sponsors (they have a coupon section in the newspapaer at leasst once a yr to benefit GKTW), so I would guess the detergent they use might be donated by P & G. If you need a special kind though, I think your WISH coordinator should be able to hunt down what you need, unless it is a really hard to find brand - in which case, you might want to bring it with you.

Hope you have a great trip. :wizard: :wave:

Thank you, everyone, for reading and/or responding to this.

As for the detergent issue, DW can only tolerate "Cheer" detergent. It's no big deal, really. If they don't have it, we'll just spend a few dollars and purchase the smallest amount available.

As for refrigerator stocking, I personally have no cares, except that I like telling my DS's all of things to expect at GKTW. Like I stated, if all they stocked was water, and nothing else, I'd be absolutely thrilled speechless. Anything more, and it would be perfect.

Yes, I've visited the GKTW website numerous times, some of them with the DS's to show them the pictures.

Densgirl..... I'll be sure to tell my wife about your experience (with the conference call). DW is concerned about what would happen if David became ill during our trip, and I think she'll feel a bit more comfortable.

jennydep .... David was diagnosed on 11/05/04, a day that DW and I remember much like "9/11". "Normal" prior to 11/05/04 no longer exists. We have a "new normal". I'm sure you know about what I'm talking. Now, when he is outside in the sun, he MUST have a cap/hat on his head. Now, when he's coming down with a cold, we immediately contact the Children's hospital.
As far as what "phase" he's in, I leave that info up to DW. She just tells me how many pills to give David, and on which day. And yes, we do have a Caringbridge page, though not very up to date. His site is http://www.caringbridge.org/mi/davidandrew . I'll check out your DD's site right away.

Dave

I've been wondering the same things.We're leaving for GKTW on Thursday morning,I will let you know when we come back. :flower: We can't wait!! :maleficen :banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I hope your family has a wonderful trip!! :cool1:

Beast Fan- we where there in May, and the detergant they supplied was tide and I don't remember what the fabric softner sheets where. Our fridge was only stocked with: a couple of cans of coke, sprite, and I think water-Don't remember, but their wasn't very much in our fridge at all, no big deal Wal-mart is just down the street you will pass it many times coming and going to the parks. There was a gift basket on the table, when we arrived, with snacks and candy. Also, in the village, their our water coolers all around and in the movie theater you can get snacks and drinks, also there is a coke machine with bottled water, by the swimming pools. I can't remember how much the machine cost, it was really cheap, but I do remember the snack machine right beside it was everything for 25 cents! Hope that helps any more questions just ask and have a wonderful time!!! :wizard:

We were there last Sept. the dryer sheets were bounce.
There was milk in the fridge, couple cans of pop, I think some water and ther gift basket with all sorts of goodies.

We went to walmart and picked up a case of water for under $4. and the kind of pop we drink (pepsi products)
It was so hot for us, I took a few bottles of water and put them in the freezer. took them out and took them to the park. they started to melt and you still had cold water.

Have you seen or heard about the video cameras they will lend out?
we had one for 2 days, they will transfer your video to either VHS or DVD for you.
There seemed to be characters up by the welcome house every morning around breakfast time that were there to see anyone who walked by.

Anne MN,
No, I had NOT heard about the lending out of video cameras. Once again, more interesting (and helpful) info to give to DW. She is always trying to pack the house into a few suitcases.

As a side note, I think I'm going to bring a journal, note anything that might be useful, and share it with everyone who feels the need.

Thanks again!

Dave

beast fan-Remember to pack very light, you will need the extra room for all the things you bring back from the village!! :flower: The first night will be your orientation, that is when you will find out about the video camera's, parents night out, and receive all of your tickets. ::MickeyMo

2morrow ..... We do plan on packing light. For each of us, we are probably packing 4 shirts, 3 pairs of shorts and 1 pair of jeans (plus the miscellaneous). We'll get Cheer laundry soap at the nearest "major" store. Also, we are planning to pack an extra suitcase, along with an extra "carry-on" (read old college book-bag/backpack), within one of our suitcases.

Thanks for the reminder!

Dave

Beast fan said:
Anne MN,
No, I had NOT heard about the lending out of video cameras. Once again, more interesting (and helpful) info to give to DW. She is always trying to pack the house into a few suitcases.

As a side note, I think I'm going to bring a journal, note anything that might be useful, and share it with everyone who feels the need.

Thanks again!

Dave

We are scheduled to go the end of October( fingers crossed!) and I will look forward to reading your trip report. Have a magical trip! :flower:

They gave us Tide and bounce when we were there in Dec '04. If you run out you can get more from the office. Our refrigerator had about 6 cans of pop, different kinds, and the freezer had uncle ben's rice bowls. Also when we got there, there was a huge gift basket of total junk food,lol. Do not worry about not having enough food. Even if you stay in the village for lunch the ice cream store has subs you could eat. Oh and one of our other favs was that you can order pizza from the kitchen there at night and they deliver it to your door. That ice cream store is soooooooooo bad, this mom ate way too much during the stay. What totally rocked is that the Walmart from that area is right on the corner you have to turn down to get to GKTW. We made multiple trips and also did most of our souveneer shopping there.

I would also like to say we loved universal and they imho were even more welcoming than WDW when they found out we were with make a wish they took us to the very front of the line every time. I loved them. Oh side note it is a million mile walk just to get in that park, but we thought well worth it.

Oh yes final note pack light because you will be bringing tons of stuff home!!! Or take an extra suit case that is almost empty. When we were coming back we were overweight on our luggage and luckily the check on guy was nice and saw we were with make a wish and waived the 50 dollar charge, wooooooooo.

have lots of fun!!!

Virginia

Thanks for the tips Jini,

Like I said before, other than the miscellaneous items, we plan on packing, for each of us, 3 pairs of shorts and 4 shirts. We are each wearing (on the plane to Orlando) the 1 pair of jeans we are taking with us. As a family, we are horrid for typically over-packing. We are taking great care to limit the packing, and maximizing available space.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter