a.m. flight out of San Diego - drive or airport hotel prior?

bbixler1

Earning My Ears
We have an 11 a.m. flight out of San Diego airport Tues 9/23 and have no clue about traffic patterns. Can anyone advise if we should chance driving our rental car from Anaheim/Disney that morning or play it safe by driving up the night before and staying at an airport hotel? If the latter, any advice on a cheap, clean hotel? No ambience required, since we're just looking for a place to sleep. Thanks so much.

Figuring that you should get to the airport @ 9am, I'd leave @ 6am (so you can take your rental car back) your not gonna have to much traffic on the 5 FWY once you leave Disney. you might have a small pocket of traffic near irvine where the (405 and 5 Merge) it's called the orange crush.

But depending on how your family sleeps. I'd just drive.
the actual drive should take you about an hr and a half.

Have you guys looked into taking the Train down to SD?

Rudy

Figuring that you should get to the airport @ 9am, I'd leave @ 6am (so you can take your rental car back) your not gonna have to much traffic on the 5 FWY once you leave Disney. you might have a small pocket of traffic near irvine where the (405 and 5 Merge) it's called the orange crush.

But depending on how your family sleeps. I'd just drive.
the actual drive should take you about an hr and a half.

Have you guys looked into taking the Train down to SD?

Rudy

I have to respectfully disagree about traffic going south. It is AWFUL around Carlsbad down through Del Mar in the morning, as in stopped traffic.

When I drive from SD to Anaheim to get to DL at opening, I always make note of the traffic going south, and it's bad until after 10am.

You wouldn't be able to make it in an hour and half unless you were driving very fast in the middle of the night. Once you get off the freeway, there are several lights and it will probably take you at least another 10 minutes to get to the airport from the freeway.

Personally I would probably drive down the night before. There aren't many hotels around the airport, but if you still have your rental car, you don't have to be right next to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter