A Mini/One Post Trip Report, of Sorts: Check-In/Arrival Day at Magic Kingdom (w/EMH)

onemorejennifer

Earning My Ears
Hope this is allowed... but this is just a one post "trip report" of our arrival day. Thought it may help others decide whether it is worth it to visit a park the day of check-in.

Prior to our recent trip, I always thought people who headed out to a park on check-in day were kind of crazy. Turns out I was so very wrong! But let's back-track just a bit...

We're a family of 4 - DH, DD16, DD13, and me. We traveled to WDW July 11-18 with extended family - my parents, both my sisters and their families. Fourteen of us in all! (The night we all signed onto MDE and tried to coordinate our FP+ was high adventure!)

Our tickets - 6 day park hoppers - were a very generous gift from my parents. Early in the planning process, but after the tickets were purchased, I discovered that the ONLY day MK had evening EMH during our trip was July 11, our day of arrival. I was sad to miss the chance to experience late-night MK. But all of our initial planning - FP+, ADRs (we let our TA handle those), which park to visit on which day, etc. - was based on using those 6 day tickets July 12-17.

The more I thought about missing MK past midnight, the sadder I became. And my teen-age daughters were sad too. So we decided to add a 7th day for just our family of four, and head out to MK after dinner on Saturday evening. YAY!

Our drive to WDW was fairly uneventful - we left about 6 AM and arrived at our resort, the beautiful Port Orleans French Quarter, about 3:30 PM. Adding a 7th day to our ticket at the concierge desk was a breeze. The cast members there loved our hand-painted magic bands!

magicbands.jpg

As soon as we got to our room I hopped onto MDE to see if any FP+ were available and chose HM (7:20), Mickey (9:10), and Cinderella & Rapunzel (10:30). There were others available but Cinderella was actually requested by my girls and that's the combination that I initially thought would work best. We ended up skipping Mickey though, because we weren't sure it would be a good idea to try and get from Town Square to Fantasyland during the MSEP/Wishes madness.

We finished unpacking, met the 10 other members of our party for dinner at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory around 5:00 PM, and I think we were probably at the bus stop sometime between 6-6:15 PM.

So here's what we accomplished and enjoyed at MK between @6:45 PM - 2:15 AM. (I'm quite positive this is not the exact order of things, but a general approximation. If a time is listed it is because I have a photo of that event and could lift a timestamp from the EXIF data.)
  • Haunted Mansion - FP+ (7:20 PM)
  • Shopped in Fantasy Faire waiting on a storm to pass
  • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel (8:07 PM)
  • It's a Small World
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Admired a beautiful sunset from Fantasyland (8:25 PM)
  • Ariel (9:26 PM)
  • Mickey Bars (DDs) Iced Coffee at Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies (DH & I) (9:36 PM)
  • Under the Sea - Journey of The Little Mermaid
  • Watched Wishes from Fantasyland
  • Cinderella & Rapunzel - FP+ (11:06 PM)
  • The Barnstormer
  • Dumbo
  • Mad Tea Party
  • PeopleMover
  • "Midnight Snack" (Drinks & French Fries) at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
  • Space Mountain (1:03 AM)
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (1:39 AM)
  • Tomorowland Speedway
  • A Kiss Goodnight (2:02 AM)
kiss.jpg

I'm not going to lie - we were dragging a bit during our midnight snack at Cosmic Ray's - we were tired and hot and not sure we could finish out the night. But getting off our feet in the AC for a bit and then riding Space Mountain completely revived us for the rest of the night.

Watching "A Kiss Goodnight" and strolling down a not-empty-but-not-crowded Main Street was the perfect end to the first day of our WDW vacation.

clock.jpg

So, all you "must head to a park after checking in no rest for the weary" people. Sorry for doubting you! :)

Last edited:
I always go to a park after check in, usually arrive between 2 and 3, drive down from Georgia. Even if there aren't EMH I head to a park, just doesn't seem right not to.

We have always gone to a park the day we arrive but this September we are trying something new and just going to hang out at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter