A sad day in Houston...

My daughter was born at 27 weeks weighing 2.17 lbs. She was in the hospital for 2 1/2 months and is doing great now. She had her 1st RSV synagis when she was released in March of '06 and got them monthly through the spring. She then got them again starting in October of '06 and got her last one in April or May of this year. She won't have to get any more now that she is 1 1/2, but she will get a flu shot. I'm glad our insurance covered them because they were $1,250 each!!! :scared1: Congrats on your baby and I hope all is well. :goodvibes

My twins (35 weeks ) had RSV as well. I kept them in from November on as instrucyed no shopping malls yada, yada.. well the siblings brought home a cold which turned into RSV for both boys within a day of each other in Mid january when they were 6mts.

it was very scary..... so they could breathe without choking!they slept sitting up in thier baby carseats in the middle of my king sized bed. and I slept on the bottom of the bed watching them for 3 days. it was not at all fun for anyone. if you can keep the baby in all the better! For him or her!!!

good luck and congrats!!!:wizard:

My son was not a preemie, but he did develop RSV 2 years in a row. Once as an infant and then when he was 1. The second time he was hospitalized. It is a very scary thing to watch your child struggle to breathe! He now gets asthma symptoms when he gets a cold. If your child is at risk, you definitely are making the right decision, in my opinion. When he is a little older and his immune system has matured a little more, you will have a great trip, and it will have been worth the wait, just as another poster wrote. Best wishes!

It is so sad to hear all your stories. I can't believe how common it is. You would think they could come up with something stronger to help prevent it.

I am really looking forward to those shots. Why can't they give them sooner then October. He goes in for his 4mth checkup and shots the first week in September. Maybe the doc can ease my nerves.

Thanks for sharing your stories. It just reminds me how serious this is.

hello all. found the board in march when we bought into DVC but enjoy reading more than posting but i can answer some of the questions. RSV is a virus like the common cold. it causes an upper respiratory infection called bronchiolitis.

the reason it is dangerous for NICU grads is that their lungs are immature and have often gone through prolonged ventilator/oxygen treatment. if an older kid or adult gets it, they rarely get more than a cough or runny nose. But, babies with damaged lungs can have such bad lung inflammation they often require oxygen and sometimes intubation and being put back on a ventilator.

there is no vaccine because the virus changes enough that vaccines do not give adequate immune protection (similar to why there is no vaccine for the common cold or hiv). there is a shot called synagis that is pooled antibodies against the virus however it is very costly (somewhere close to $1000 per vial). it is given to "high risk" babies monthly during peak season (nov.-feb). just like the flu, rsv is only prevalent during rsv season and it would not be cost effective to give it year round. also, like any shot there is a chance of a bad reaction to the immunization. more shots = more chances at a bad reaction, so giving it when there is a very low chance of getting sick is also not "safety effective".

all in all very few babies die from it; however, as the OP's doctor advised if there is no need to put the baby at extra risk of being exposed, then waiting on WDW is the more prudent option. sorry about the trip.

hello all. found the board in march when we bought into DVC but enjoy reading more than posting but i can answer some of the questions. RSV is a virus like the common cold. it causes an upper respiratory infection called bronchiolitis.

the reason it is dangerous for NICU grads is that their lungs are immature and have often gone through prolonged ventilator/oxygen treatment. if an older kid or adult gets it, they rarely get more than a cough or runny nose. But, babies with damaged lungs can have such bad lung inflammation they often require oxygen and sometimes intubation and being put back on a ventilator.

there is no vaccine because the virus changes enough that vaccines do not give adequate immune protection (similar to why there is no vaccine for the common cold or hiv). there is a shot called synagis that is pooled antibodies against the virus however it is very costly (somewhere close to $1000 per vial). it is given to "high risk" babies monthly during peak season (nov.-feb). just like the flu, rsv is only prevalent during rsv season and it would not be cost effective to give it year round. also, like any shot there is a chance of a bad reaction to the immunization. more shots = more chances at a bad reaction, so giving it when there is a very low chance of getting sick is also not "safety effective".

all in all very few babies die from it; however, as the OP's doctor advised if there is no need to put the baby at extra risk of being exposed, then waiting on WDW is the more prudent option. sorry about the trip.

Thanks for all the answers! It still worries me, but what mom wouldn't worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter