A Sisters‘ Summer Sailing to Scandinavia - update: After Cruise Day 2: Tivoli

I love your photos. Geiranger was amazing. We were on the same cruise,we went on the Rib boat and went to Herdalsettra mountain farm.

The photos of that hike are incredible! Norway has always been on my "must do" list, due to a lifelong obsession with Maelstrom and the underrated Norway movie. Your pictures make me wish I was going tomorrow :) So beautiful. Thanks (as always) for sharing, Magdalene!

Wow, that really is daylight robbery.

Sometimes the cruise ship excursion pricing is so unpredictable. I never understand why some are so pricey and others can be good deals.

That is the part of hiking that I hate. I have issues with my balance at the best of times and mud just messes things up for me. I loved all the photos you shared. The scenery is absolutely stunning. What a shame that it was raining.

Mud is really annoying to walk on. Not fun! It was surprising that the rain really was not that bad too us. I think the beautiful scenery made us forget about the weather.

can't quite remember the timescale of this trip. We jumped ship to Royal Caribbean in December 2015. I had however given up on European sailings on DCL ever since I saw the pricing for the first Baltic cruises in 2010.

June 2015. I had orginally thought we might be able to do a 7-night Med cruise as those appeared to be in the still ok range price wise. I remember those 2010 prices and had the same reaction, but then discovered that in the next few seasons prices improved a bit, at least for the first and last cruises. This one was "just" around 3000 US$ for the both of us. Still a pricey cruise. But I have been looking at other cruise lines for Norway and it seems that prices are similar for these itineraries.

Those aerial photos of the Magic are stunning!

Yes, and I only posted a few of the many that I took! I loved that view!!

I have been lurking for a while I normally read on my phone and it is so hard to comment from there. I just wanted to say I love your pictures what a beautiful country. Looking forward to more pictures

:welcome: I tend to read on my phone a lot as well, so I totally understand!! Thanks for the comment on my pictures. There are more to come!

I love your photos. Geiranger was amazing. We were on the same cruise,we went on the Rib boat and went to Herdalsettra mountain farm.

Thanks! We were thinking about Herdalsettra for a while as well, but then just really wanted to hike. As I mentioned before, Norway is a very popular destination here in Germany and I totally understand now why. Geiranger was truly beautiful and there are many other amazing places that you cannot get to by cruise ship. I think a proper vacation in Norway is definitely on my bucket list! But I am starting to be a bit envious of those who will board the Magic very soon to do this cruise this year!

The photos of that hike are incredible! Norway has always been on my "must do" list, due to a lifelong obsession with Maelstrom and the underrated Norway movie. Your pictures make me wish I was going tomorrow :) So beautiful. Thanks (as always) for sharing, Magdalene!

Thanks! I hae to admit that I was one of those who did not get the Norway movie. Now that I have been there I am so sorry that it is gone. I guess I can still find it on youtube. I should go and search for it because I think I would understand it much better. And I think now that it really was a great portrait of the country!

Sometimes the cruise ship excursion pricing is so unpredictable. I never understand why some are so pricey and others can be good deals.

You can say that again. We were looking at two excursions through Royal Caribbean for our cruise next month. The one in Kona has a mark up of $15, which is fair considering that it gives us priority tendering and if we clear immigration there, priority immigration. On the flip side, in Fiji they are offering an excursion at a 100% mark up, which is just ridiculous especially as we are docking there and are staying over night.

remember those 2010 prices and had the same reaction, but then discovered that in the next few seasons prices improved a bit, at least for the first and last cruises.

We ended up getting a fantastic last minute deal on a Med cruise that year. It was the first cruise of the season and I don't think it had been selling well.

Corinna

For whatever reason Germans love travelling to places that are as empty as possible and they have a lot of appreciation for the great outdoors. Not every single German of course, but it definitely is a trend here. If anyone read my California trip report, you might remember how I commented on that it seemed that in Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP and in Yosemite NP it seemed that we met more French and German people than Americans. The same reason why you can find Germans in the US National Parks is why they come to Norway in such large numbers.

I believe Julie and I both have German blood in our family history, which must be why we enjoy these beautiful outdoor places too!

Our plan was to combine the A, B and D hike.

Looks like it could be very steep.

So, a 15 minute coach ride, a hiking guide and waffles with jam. Sounded good, even though we were thinking that we prefered hiking at our own speed. What do you think the price should be for this? Even for an overpriced cruise line shore excursion? It is 104 $!

:scared1: To take a walk? Does Indiana Jones lead the expedition?

So, our hike was recommended!!

Always a good sign!

IMG_0252.jpg

The Disney Magic looks so good framed against the fjord and mountains.

While it was steep, it was definitely manageable. If you have ever done some hiking in mountainous areas, it was as one would expect when one is climbing up a mountain.

Always easier going downhill. But it can be done if you take your time.:thumbsup2

Looks like a wonderful spot!

We decided that this was a perfect spot for a lunch break and sat down (we had brought our inflatable seat cushions that are part of our hiking equipment) and enjoyed our lunch while thinking of @Captain_Oblivious:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:love::love::love::love::love:

Yes, these are PBJ sandwiches – the patented Captain Oblivious Family Travel Lunch. It was very tasty (but we were happy that on the other days the cruise ship provided more varied lunch options so that we did not have to eat them every day).

Well, sure. Only an idiot would eat those things day after day after day.

But we also did not want to give up on the waterfall.

After going that far, I wouldn't have wanted to give up, either.

Very pretty!

The walkway goes down a little and you can actually walk behind the waterfall. Even the Norwegians know about how spectacular the backside of water is!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

All in all I have to say that this was definitely a very pretty waterfall and well worth the hike!

I'm glad you didn't give up! Looks like it was definitely worth the effort.

To be continued in Part 5 (where there will be even more pictures of amazing scenery...)

Can't wait!:hyper:

Great scenery ,brought back memories of my youth visiting my sister in Malvern, Worcestershire. We always climbed the Mlvern Hills and saw the sheep and those little black balls they leave all over :crazy2::rotfl2::rotfl2:. It was soo peaceful though !! unless I win the lottery cruises like that are out for me !!

Well I'm glad you have been busy because it has taken me all week to get caught up on this update. It didn't help that @Steppesister and another DISer have been in town monopolizing my time! :goodvibes

That was some hike you took there! Beautiful vistas and rough terrain! It's a shame that they Disney guide did not teach proper hiking etiquette. I would never have known, but appreciate you educating me on it! Funny that you had the patented @Captain_Oblivious family lunch!

In response to your comment about the verandah, the nice thing about the disabled rooms is that they are at the back of the ship, so you do get a nice view of both sides of the canyon, but you are right, the view from Deck 10 is far superior, not sure how much so though at 5:30AM!

Keeping my comments brief since I have like five more TRs to catch up on!

Just wants to let you know that I thought of this weekend. The city where we live (Omaha, Nebraska) was holding the FEI World Cup in Dressage and Jumping. The lady who won the World Cup was Isabell Werth from Germany. She was spectacular and so fun to watch. The instrumental version they played of the German National anthem was really pretty.

Ok, I really am all caught up to the point you got back to the ship. Truly, you saw some stunning scenery on your hike, wayyyy up into the hills. So, could you get your bread onto the ship? Is taking food on an issue? I had no idea. Anyway, just lovely.

I'd comment more, but am just so darned behind everywhere I'm kinda just reading and picking it up where I am at this point. :)

You can say that again. We were looking at two excursions through Royal Caribbean for our cruise next month. The one in Kona has a mark up of $15, which is fair considering that it gives us priority tendering and if we clear immigration there, priority immigration. On the flip side, in Fiji they are offering an excursion at a 100% mark up, which is just ridiculous especially as we are docking there and are staying over night.

That is odd. I really don't understand why they are so inconsistent with their pricing.

We ended up getting a fantastic last minute deal on a Med cruise that year. It was the first cruise of the season and I don't think it had been selling well.

At that time I really did not have any travel partner and going on a cruise on my own did not really appeal to me. How great that you were able to make use of a good deal though! I am afraid that the times of good deals for DCL are past now.

I believe Julie and I both have German blood in our family history, which must be why we enjoy these beautiful outdoor places too!

Maybe!!

Looks like it could be very steep.

Yep, it was!

:scared1: To take a walk? Does Indiana Jones lead the expedition?

No, neither did Mickey nor Elsa. It was strange how they came up with that price.

The Disney Magic looks so good framed against the fjord and mountains.

Yes, beautiful scenery. They do use those shots in quite a bit of promotional material for DCL.

Always easier going downhill. But it can be done if you take your time.:thumbsup2

I actually find downhill often worse. I am afraid of slipping, my knees tend to hurt and so on. I have a friend with knee issues and we went for hiking trips together quite a few time and usually hike up a mountain and then take the cable car down. Very popular concept here in the Alps!

Looks like a wonderful spot!

It was!

I thought you would love that!!

Well, sure. Only an idiot would eat those things day after day after day.

Or people who prioritize adventure over comfort. :goodvibes:thumbsup2 I am actually full of admiration how much effort you put in your travels!

Very pretty!

I wish I had more and better pictures of the waterfall, but the time issue and the rain made me take far fewer pictures than I intended.

'm glad you didn't give up! Looks like it was definitely worth the effort.

It was an amazing hike and totally doable without any guide!

Great scenery ,brought back memories of my youth visiting my sister in Malvern, Worcestershire. We always climbed the Mlvern Hills and saw the sheep and those little black balls they leave all over :crazy2::rotfl2::rotfl2:. It was soo peaceful though !!

Katharina and I have actually been hiking in the Malvern Hills. However, this was pre-digital, so I cannot easily pull out a picture of us! I think it was in 1999.

unless I win the lottery cruises like that are out for me !!

Good luck with the lottery!!! :goodvibes

Well I'm glad you have been busy because it has taken me all week to get caught up on this update. It didn't help that @Steppesister and another DISer have been in town monopolizing my time! :goodvibes

Sounds like you all had a great time!! And don't worry about catching up. I am so behind everywhere. Not at least this one...

That was some hike you took there! Beautiful vistas and rough terrain! It's a shame that they Disney guide did not teach proper hiking etiquette. I would never have known, but appreciate you educating me on it! Funny that you had the patented @Captain_Oblivious family lunch!

Maybe they told them the hiking etiquette, but people did not follow it?

In response to your comment about the verandah, the nice thing about the disabled rooms is that they are at the back of the ship, so you do get a nice view of both sides of the canyon, but you are right, the view from Deck 10 is far superior, not sure how much so though at 5:30AM!

I can see how an aft verandah would be great for that. And I can tell you that Katharina's and my efforts to get presentable were absolutely minimal (i.e. just throwing on clothes and washing our face).

Keeping my comments brief since I have like five more TRs to catch up on!

That's fine! Makes it easier for me to catch up with my comments!! :thumbsup2

Just wants to let you know that I thought of this weekend. The city where we live (Omaha, Nebraska) was holding the FEI World Cup in Dressage and Jumping. The lady who won the World Cup was Isabell Werth from Germany. She was spectacular and so fun to watch. The instrumental version they played of the German National anthem was really pretty.

She is very well known here in Germany as an excellent equestrian. The German National anthem has an interesting history. It was written in the mid 19th century when there was no unified Germany, but all kind of principalities and it called for the founding of a unified Germany on democratic principals. However, the text was later converted into meaning something else as it could also be read to mean that Germany is superior to all other countries and it made territorial claims on areas that later ended up not being part of Germany when it was finally unified. Therefore, since it became the national anthem of West Germany in 1949, only the third verse is sung which speaks about unity, justice and freedom. The first and second verse are not sung. This can lead to confusion... So, it being played just in the instrumental version is helpful! :goodvibes

Ok, I really am all caught up to the point you got back to the ship. Truly, you saw some stunning scenery on your hike, wayyyy up into the hills. So, could you get your bread onto the ship? Is taking food on an issue? I had no idea. Anyway, just lovely.

You are not allowed to take unpacked food on the ship. The reason is that a ship is a petri dish for any GI illness. So, they want to limit the ways people can get infected as much as possible.

Norway is truly a beautiful country!! I really want to get back there soon!

I'd comment more, but am just so darned behind everywhere I'm kinda just reading and picking it up where I am at this point. :)

Ask me... :sad2: I know what you are talking about.

Cruise Day 5: Hiking in Geiranger and Dinner with a View - Part 5

When we went through security nobody said anything about our school bread. But Katharina got in trouble for her Swiss Army knife. Maybe that was the perfect distraction that we needed to smuggle the school bread onboard… After she had shown them the knife, they let her keep it and we were off. We got rid of the wet clothes and went to get some more food. The hiking had made us hungry! Katharina and I also think that we ate the school bread as soon as we had gotten out of our wet clothes (by the end of the hike the rain gear was getting a little overwhelmed with the water and we were definitely not that dry anymore. We felt really bad walking back to our room with our muddy boots. We did make sure to take them off outside our room and organized some plastic bags to put them on to let them dry.

The school bread was delicious, but not nearly enough food, so we went out to get some more. We had some shawarma (me), a burger (Katharina) and some salad:

DSC07784.jpg

DSC07785.jpg

DSC07786.jpg

And then we went back to the cabin for a nice hot shower and to sort out our wet hiking gear. Once that was done, it was time for sailaway and we returned to the top deck. There they were filming a video with our Cruise Director Brent:

DSC07788.jpg

The result was
posted on the Disney Parks Blog and you can watch it here if you are interested:

@dizneeat you better stay away from the video. It features a lot of Brent!!

There were some buoys where the ship was tied to and a little boat transported someone to them to get us untied.

DSC07793.jpg

Commodore Tom made an announcement about our imminent departure and he told us that it is a tradition in Geiranger to honor departing ships (maybe only on their first visit) with a special salute. There would be three dynamite explosions! This sounded a bit strange, but interesting!

But indeed, there was an explosion next to the street leading out of Geiranger just when we passed. See the white cloud here:

DSC07795.jpg

The rain had stopped by now, but it was still cool and windy. However, we were determined to watch the ship leaving Geiranger for as long as possible.

So, you get to see the same landscape again.

DSC07797.jpg

This time it was far less crowded up on deck than in the morning. People were getting ready for dinner and for the show. However, lots of CMs came up on deck for a peek.

DSC07807.jpg

DSC07811.jpg

DSC07815.jpg

The weather was better than it had been in the morning and the different direction gave you a different perspective.

DSC07817.jpg

Also, because it had rained all day the snow up on the hills had definitely started to melt much more than it had done during the cold night. So, all the waterfalls were much fuller now than they had been in the morning.

DSC07826.jpg

DSC07828.jpg

DSC07833.jpg

DSC07838.jpg

DSC07840.jpg

DSC07841.jpg

DSC07842.jpg

DSC07846.jpg

DSC07848.jpg

DSC07852.jpg

And suddenly there was a very special visitor!

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07855.jpg

Goofy decided that he had to admire the view as well!

We were hanging out there, sitting on a box behind the wind screen and drinking several cups of hot tea when we noticed that someone had attached a gopro to the ship to film the fjord:

DSC07856.jpg

At one point we noticed something that looked like a massive waterfall.

DSC07857.jpg

But upon closer inspection (i.e. my camera’s zoom lense), we saw that it was snow. I guess it must have been some sort of mini avalanche.

DSC07858.jpg

By then we had left the Geiranger Fjord and were travelling through an outer fjord that was still nice, but not as spectacular and we were still hungry, so we headed to dinner.

I had known from the start that we would skip tonight’s dinner in the Main Dining Room. Tonight was our second meal in Animator’s Palette. That means that it would be the “Drawn by Magic” show where everyone gets to draw a character and then there is a show where these characters dance. I really do not like this dinner. First, you get less choices because the appetizers are set. Then, I don’t think the show is anything special. If I want to be entertained, I want to be entertained by professionals, not by other amateurs like myself. It is a fun technological gimmick that they can make those little figures dance around. But ultimately it is nothing special. I have experienced it once on the Fantasy and have no intention of ever doing this dinner again. I explained it to Katharina and she was not overly interested either. So, the plan had been all along that our second dinner at AP would be skipped.

In the end this worked out very well. With all the hiking we had done, we wanted an earlier dinner anyway. The options for dinner if you want to skip the main dining rooms are: Palo, which is an upcharge restaurant, Cabanas, which is a buffet for breakfast and lunch and the quick serve locations on the pool deck. We were planning to go to Cabanas. For dinner it is not a buffet, but is turned into a table service restaurant. It is usually open from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

Continued in Part 6

Last edited:
Cruise Day 5: Hiking in Geiranger and Dinner with a View - Part 6

We arrived around 6:45 pm and asked for a table at the window. It was quite empty in there and we were lead to a very nice table directly next to a window. This is not a good picture of us at all, but it does show how nice the table was:

DSC07862.jpg

The tables are set with place mats and themed napkins:

DSC07860.jpg

This is definitely an upgrade compared to how the tables are during the day.

This is a view of the restaurant:

DSC07866.jpg

And some of our view during dinner:

DSC07873.jpg

We got the menu:

DSC07861.jpg

I tried to crop the menu a little so that you can read it better:

DSC07861%201.jpg

Just after we had sat down and before we had started to talk with each other we suddenly could hear the people at the table next to us talking in German! What a surprise. It seemed to be a son and mother, the son in his 50s, the mother in her late 70s it seemed. They seemed to be a little out of place and not the typical Disney cruiser at all. Katharina and felt a bit odd as the restaurant was rather empty and we did not really feel comfortable making loud conversation in German with each other now. They would have been able to hear us just as well as we could hear them. Somehow it felt that if they found out that we were speaking German that it would appear as if we were eavesdropping on their conversation. Not that they were talking about anything emberassing, but sometimes you can tell that people are not expecting anyone being able to hear them and that was the feeling I got from them. Since they were already being served their main course just after we sat down, we thought they would leave soon. But it seemed that they took a long time. We were quite relieved when they finally left and we were able to talk with each other in a normal voice now.

We were served a bread basket:

DSC07865.jpg

I had the Aged Prosciutto served with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Parmesan Cheese and Roasted Garlic:

DSC07867.jpg

Katharina had the Marinated Tiger Shrimp with Celery Hearts and remoulade:

DSC07868.jpg

For our main course we both went with a steak. I had the Marinated Rib-Eye Steak with French Fries:

DSC07870.jpg

Katharina had the New York Strip Steak with mashed potatoes:

DSC07871.jpg

I remember that she really loved that potato and watercress salad. All in all we both really liked our steaks a lot! The steaks in the dining room are good, too, but they never have that really fresh off the grill feeling. These steaks you could tell were made exactly to order and brought directly to the table!

We skipped dessert and instead headed back to the room to pick up some laundry.

DSC07874.jpg

Not eating at the usualy eating times was great to be able to do laundry. When the second dinner service started, the laundry room was finally empty and we could throw in a load!

While the laundry was doing its thing, we headed to the Promenade Lounge for the drink of the day. You would not think that we would miss a single one of those?

DSC07877.jpg

While this was a tasty one (it was called Bay Breeze), we both agreed on this occasion that the drinks of the day at the adult pool are always the best (and most potent) ones. At some point we also went to search more clues for Anna’s Chocolate Chase.

Then finally the laundry was done and we headed to bed feeling quite a bit exhausted.

I also think that at some point during the day we managed to speak with the Port Adventures desk and left a lot of comments regarding our issues with the excursion with them. We felt that they needed to know what worked and what did not work in order to provide a better experience on future cruises.

It had been a long but wonderful day. The weather of course hadn’t been perfect, but it could have been much worse. I remember us commenting on it while dinner or some other time during the evening, when it was aktually quite nice again. At least we had some wuite good visability down into the fjord and at least it didn’t rain from the start of our hike. It was a wonderulf trip into Norway’s nature and I completely understand all those Germans going there again and again on vacation. Although I wouldn’t want to stay at one of the many campsites I saw with a weather like this. And I think I would get quite fed up with all these cruiseships in an otherwise quiet and peacdul fjord….

Up next: Old houses, leprosy and Freezing the Night Away

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter