A what would you do ?

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
So we bought in 18 months ago with a 5 year plan of when to go, how long to stay, etc. well didn't take long to blow up that plan. With two I scheduled trips this year (2 nights before Easter and a total of 6 nights of points coming in December) we are out of points to use for this year. My in laws asked the other day when we are going back because they want to with us. We traveled with them in 2009 when my daughter was 3 at CSR with my father in laws military discount. Again in 2011 renting DVC and using his discount on park tickets. We then bought into DVC and have traveled several times over the past two years (as you can see in my signature) one trip we took my mother with us, and this December we are taking my father (child of divorced parents).

Looking back my on my in laws they went two years apart with us, so no wonder they have the urge. They want to see the new fantasy land, the grand kids etc. we have the PAP vouchers for us that we were going to activate in December and use next summer as well. So a trip this summer with them would only cost us airfare and hotel. Now the choices/dilemma.

Since my father in law is retired military he gets a discount on rooms. Haven't done a whole lot of price comparing but the difference in price is not really going to be more than few hundred bucks. Not discounting it, but not making a huge factor. We could

A) rent points and stay at SSR I either two studios or a 2 bedroom. We know the resort, it's the only one with availability anyway, and its either 112 Pts or 148 depending on studios or 2 bedroom.

B) Staying at the Art of Animations resort. Not sure if they offer a discount (military) yet as I haven't called. My son loves Cars and we think both kids would love the theming. Even without a discount t the 4 nights are comparable to renting points for 2 studios. Any discount would be gravy. Just not sure if we will be let down by a value resort (as it is classified as value) after being DVC owners.

C) getting two side by side rooms at any other resort with the military discount. We done this before, opening the doors between rooms gives the space we need and also enough privacy (don't get me wrong who doesn't love a 2br DVC instead) and there are many other resorts we've never stayed at. Who doesn't like variety right?

Just curious as to what other DVCers would do when out of points. Especially those of you who stay at non DVC resorts from time to time.

So we bought in 18 months ago with a 5 year plan of when to go, how long to stay, etc. well didn't take long to blow up that plan. With two I scheduled trips this year (2 nights before Easter and a total of 6 nights of points coming in December) we are out of points to use for this year. My in laws asked the other day when we are going back because they want to with us. We traveled with them in 2009 when my daughter was 3 at CSR with my father in laws military discount. Again in 2011 renting DVC and using his discount on park tickets. We then bought into DVC and have traveled several times over the past two years (as you can see in my signature) one trip we took my mother with us, and this December we are taking my father (child of divorced parents).

Looking back my on my in laws they went two years apart with us, so no wonder they have the urge. They want to see the new fantasy land, the grand kids etc. we have the PAP vouchers for us that we were going to activate in December and use next summer as well. So a trip this summer with them would only cost us airfare and hotel. Now the choices/dilemma.

Since my father in law is retired military he gets a discount on rooms. Haven't done a whole lot of price comparing but the difference in price is not really going to be more than few hundred bucks. Not discounting it, but not making a huge factor. We could

A) rent points and stay at SSR I either two studios or a 2 bedroom. We know the resort, it's the only one with availability anyway, and its either 112 Pts or 148 depending on studios or 2 bedroom.

B) Staying at the Art of Animations resort. Not sure if they offer a discount (military) yet as I haven't called. My son loves Cars and we think both kids would love the theming. Even without a discount t the 4 nights are comparable to renting points for 2 studios. Any discount would be gravy. Just not sure if we will be let down by a value resort (as it is classified as value) after being DVC owners.

C) getting two side by side rooms at any other resort with the military discount. We done this before, opening the doors between rooms gives the space we need and also enough privacy (don't get me wrong who doesn't love a 2br DVC instead) and there are many other resorts we've never stayed at. Who doesn't like variety right?

Just curious as to what other DVCers would do when out of points. Especially those of you who stay at non DVC resorts from time to time.
Is this added to one of your 2 trips listed or would it be a new additional trip (sounds like the more likely). There's no one answer. I'd always look to borrowing points first. I'd look at the discounts, esp staying at Shades of Green with the military discount and also see if there's any specials for that time like free dining. You could rent or pay for transferred points. You could stay off property in a timeshare or Condo including Wyndham's Bonnet Creek. Often some of the Village hotels have major discounts for military, firefighters, Law Enforcement and similar. Then it's just choosing the option that fits best for you.

We are in a similar situation dh and I are hosting a total of 10 of us in a grand villa over the wk of thanksgiving but when free dining was announced planned a spur of the moment trip in sept and going to the Halloween party at cbr (paying cash) which we have stayed at before but not since we bought Dvc I know last nov we drove down a day early and booked a rm only at asmu and wasn't happy. Beds were hard rm was small even the kids wanted more space. But since its just us 2 this trip we hope we ll be ok

When we are out of points (including borrowed points from the next year) we just don't go :(

We were going through severe withdrawal this year (ok I am going through severe withdrawal) we contemplated on going down and staying in Art of Animation so we could fulfill our Disney needs this year on a budget. Prior to DVC we have only stayed in Deluxe Resorts, so the more we talked about it the more we were afraid of disappointment by going value. We then discussed moderate which was only about $200 more total for the whole trip and we were very close to doing it, but based on many different factors we decided to nix the trip this year... One being we will be there in January, and we were going to do the "spontaneous" trip in September, which means we would be doing a long drive almost back to back which is very tiresome. Second, was finances, just decided not to spend the money since we will be going in January anyway for 8 nights.

I think a lot of people will agree that if you are using your room for sleep only then it doesn't really matter. For us we do spend about half the day in the room (we have a toddler). So the room is a big deal for us, we need space and comfort, we usually get a one bedroom so our daughter can nap while we are in the living room watching tv. So it really all depends. But at the end of the day if I'm paying instead of points I would have to go with deluxe.

I thought I heard the Swan and Dolphin give military discounts - might want to check that out for the great location.

The Shades of Green is another possibility for getting connecting rooms on the cheap.

Or how about just adding on more points, since it seems like you didn't buy enough to begin with! ;)

The year we went four, maybe five times, in one year, we stopped drinking the Kool-aid and sold off two of our five contracts. We just got tired of giving so much of our money to Disney. Now we go maybe twice a year to get the use out of an AP.

Using perks offered through our other timeshare, we either trade in via RCI or use RCI/II Cheap Rental weeks off-property.

I would do whatever turns out to be cheapest (booking studios and not a 2BR). I assume your parents will kick in for their room/studio.

I would do whatever turns out to be cheapest (booking studios and not a 2BR). I assume your parents will kick in for their room/studio.

They will. They may even pay for the whole thing. It's just about deciding which option will be most enjoyable for us. Borrowing points is not an option as we are already in borrow mode and will need to borrow more from 2015 for our 2014 trip....there are some to play with, but since 2014 we are not planning to stay at BLT our home resort, we don't want to borrow ahead of time and find out what's available at the 7 month mark requires less than what we borrowed.

We are now considering nixing AOA. There is a chance my brother in law would come as well and that makes 7 so we would be over capacity. 2 separate rooms is looking like the best choice right now as we can open the doors to connect the rooms, but haven't narrowed to a resort yet. We still are kicking the tires on renting points for two SSR studios because we do like SSR, but no guarantee how close to each other we can get those studios.

This was on Mousesavers for the Swan and Dolphin:

Military Rates

Active or retired US military personnel, including active and retired members of the United States Coast Guard and activated members of the National Guard or Reservists can take advantage of seasonal special offers. These rates are not always offered and are frequently “blacked out” (unavailable) during peak periods, holidays, etc. Proper ID must be shown at check-in.

You must book these rates directly through the hotel at (888) 828-8850. Ask for rate code TROOPS.

Remember if you stay at the Swan and Dolphin they use Disney transportation but you can't get the ME to and from the airport. I never stayed there but I have thought about it when paying cash because I love the location.

BTW, the discount (if any) is probably the same but this was also noted for AP:

Annual Passholder Rates

The Swan and Dolphin usually offer substantial discounts to Walt Disney World Annual Passholders. These rates are not always offered and are frequently “blacked out” (unavailable) during peak periods, holidays, etc. You must show your Annual Pass at check-in.

You must book these rates directly through the hotel at (888) 828-8850. Ask for rate code AP.

BTW, the discount (if any) is probably the same but this was also noted for AP:

Annual Passholder Rates

The Swan and Dolphin usually offer substantial discounts to Walt Disney World Annual Passholders. These rates are not always offered and are frequently “blacked out” (unavailable) during peak periods, holidays, etc. You must show your Annual Pass at check-in.

You must book these rates directly through the hotel at (888) 828-8850. Ask for rate code AP.

Can't get those dates. We are trying to decide between carribean beach or SSR with points. carribean beach is the cheapest option of the moderates and while the other options are not far off in price, but nothing to say hey take this one over that. We like SSR and a 2 br would be 148 points. We can borrow the 48 from next year and rent the other 100. Just trying to see IF I can find the other 100, or decide if its worth it over CBR.

Can't get those dates. We are trying to decide between carribean beach or SSR with points. carribean beach is the cheapest option of the moderates and while the other options are not far off in price, but nothing to say hey take this one over that. We like SSR and a 2 br would be 148 points. We can borrow the 48 from next year and rent the other 100. Just trying to see IF I can find the other 100, or decide if its worth it over CBR.
The Hilton often has great rates for military and other public service professions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter