A word of warning about Pal Mickey

How awful you all must feel. I almost lost ours when his belt clip came undone and he fell to the ground. It can happen too easily to an adult or child. I strung him up the lanyard after that and with a luggage tag on him renaming him Cousin Mickey (since he was a gift from a DC).
Word of caution also for the airport. We carried him through and became seriously delayed because he's not your average plush. Security thought there was more inside than just PM :<

YIKES! Sorry to hear that your son learned this lesson the painful way :(

Excellent advice and I will keep my Pal Mickey near me at all times.

We learned pur lesson the hard way too when PM first came out. We got him the first available day and my DS left him on Buzz Lightyear. We went back in 5 minutes and it was gone. Tough lesson to learn at DW. Lost and found never found either. $50 is too much to spend to repurchase. Wish we had thought of the waterstrap when there. At least everyone reading this will be aware.:eek:

I did want to mention for the person that asked about PM fitting into a backpack, there is a sensor in PM's nose that "reads" other sensors around the parks. This is how PM knows where he is. If he is in a backpack, it will not "read" the sensors.

Also, PM has a zippered area where the battery goes. I would suggest putting a note in the zippered area saying something like ..... if found, please return to....... Of course this would not work for those who had their PM stolen, but it would work for those who were accidently left somewhere and a nice person found them.

Originally posted by Terry S
Also, PM has a zippered area where the battery goes. I would suggest putting a note in the zippered area saying something like ..... if found, please return to....... Of course this would not work for those who had their PM stolen, but it would work for those who were accidently left somewhere and a nice person found them.

Good idea Terry!

Originally posted by ohanafamily
OK, now my off-topic...does anybody know if the Pal Mickey works at DL in California?

No, they do not presently work at the Disneyland Resort, but there are plans for it to work in the future.
There are also plans for a Spanish speaking Pal Mickey (Amigo Mickey?) in the near future.

Bummer that he doesn't work in DL, DW and I are going there over halloween and thought it might be nice.

Excellent Idea about the note and the water bottle holder!!!!!

:bounce:

When I flew home, I carried on Pal Mickey, but didn't put him in a bag. He spent a little more time in x-ray, but they didn't question him at all. I figured that by leaving him out of the bag, it would be a little more clear what the little bundle of wire was.

Strangely enough, I forgot to turn him off before sending him through security. When I picked him up, he told me a joke without any prompting. I think the machine must have triggered him, somehow.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's loss. Do you know what kind of batteries the PM takes? I don't want to chance running the batteries out and then having to buy new ones at the parks. I want to bring some from home.

That is so sad and a tough lesson to learn

For those who posted who do not have sympathy, I feel sorrow for their attitudes

thanks
jaysue

Originally posted by The Maughan's
I'm sorry to hear about your son's loss. Do you know what kind of batteries the PM takes? I don't want to chance running the batteries out and then having to buy new ones at the parks. I want to bring some from home.

I'm pretty sure PM takes two AA batteries. That is the kicker... the original batteries died the second day we had PM (apparently it is not a good idea to leave him on overnight). We replaced the batteries the night before the abduction. So the thief got fresh batteries to boot :teeth:

I hope my response did not seem like I have no sympathy, I am truly sorry for all of the poeple posting who have suffered a loss. I have no patience for people who would steal from a child.

My comments about mouse-keeping are from non-disney experiences. I have had things returned to me (like glasses) but generally an item that is expensive and that can be used/sold doesn't usually come back. I especially feel bad for the child that actually put his MPM away.

I know the fear of getting your Pal Mickey stolen. We left our's one time and I made my husband go back for him. I had heard before we left that people were missing theirs, and I didn't want the same thing to hapen to mine. We kept a tight reign on Mickey.

I love the idea of a PM for my three year old niece :earsgirl: (and all of us!)

Are there controls on it?

How do you get it to repeat what it just said?

Are they sold in the resort gift shops - specifically the CR?

Is there a loop or buckle on it so you can attach it to a lanyard?

Hi. They are sold in almost all the gift shops at the resorts. I saw them at the CR when I stayed there last summer. No controls on him turn him on and off, plus buttons on him. I can't remember if it's his hand or his tummy to press. Mine is sitting in my daughter's room and I'm to lazy to go get him. It is a wonderful tool, and I plan on taking him back next summer.

Originally posted by PaintedStuff
I love the idea of a PM for my three year old niece :earsgirl: (and all of us!)

Are there controls on it?

How do you get it to repeat what it just said?

Are they sold in the resort gift shops - specifically the CR?

Is there a loop or buckle on it so you can attach it to a lanyard?

Yes, depending on what you press it will say/do various things.

I think you have 11 seconds to repeat the message (it says how in the manual)

Yes, they are sold in all parks and at most of the resorts.

There is a belthook, but as people have noted on this thread, a water-bottle lanyard works better.

Also, His nose must be able to "see" the sensors around the park for him to function properly; I especially liked it at Splash Mountain when he told us not to let him get wet...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter