ABD Australia Christmas/New Year's 2023 - Don't Waste Your Money

It seems to me that if a tour company is scheduling you to be at a location for a special holiday, instead of avoiding the holiday, there is a logical expectation that part of the schedule would include the holiday. There are 365 days in the year, and only a small amount of those days are chosen by the tour company. If they choose to include a special holiday I would expect it to be part of the program. It would be more logical for this trip to schedule the trip to end a day before the holiday, and those that wanted to celebrate could book a post day and take care of their own arrangements. Win Win.

We have travelled ABD once on Christmas eve and day, and ABD made both special. In fact these were the ONLY days not plagued with problems on that trip.
These would be my thoughts as well. If everything is going to be closed on Christmas, ABD needs to have something planned that's open, even if it's just visiting some unique parks and doing a picnic lunch. And if your trip is there during New Years Eve, they need to put you in a good place to watch the fireworks. I'd rather they do that and bump the price up than leave guests disappointed and scrambling to find something to do.

Our family of four (2 adults, 23 and 20) recently returned from our first ABD tour and unfortunately it will be our only ABD. While our guides were great, the tour itself was memorable for the number of misses and perhaps even worse, ABD's total lack of interest in trying to address those misses. If you, like us, ask if ABD is worth the "Disney premium" it charges, the answer is an unmistakable "no." Below are a few of the "highlights" of our experience, but by no means a comprehensive list.

Great Barrier Reef and Cairns

Our tour consisted of 8 families, each with four members. We started in Cairns where the Great Barrier Reef is located. Our "adventure" started with the substitution of an aquarium and public dinner for the scheduled private crocodile adventure and dinner. While the food was decent, the restaurant was so loud no one could communicate such that we ended our first day without really having the opportunity to meet any of the other families. Next, on Christmas day, we took a commercially available boat tour to the Reef with 250 of our closest friends. It offered nothing beyond what we could have purchased on our own at a lower price point. Upon returning we learned that despite being scheduled for dinner on our own, every restaurant was closed for Christmas. Disney decided to "surprise" us by buying us a dinner of pizza and burgers at the hotel where we were staying. If not so sad, the wait time for the food, limited choices and confusion at the restaurant would be comical. The following day we traveled to the rain forest, but the village in which we were supposed to spend a significant amount of time was all but closed for Boxing Day. And to top off the day, the cable car over the rain forest was cancelled due to weather, so it was an early return to the hotel for us with no substitution offered.

Meals

We had significant food issues throughout the tour. One of our daughters is vegetarian and the options for her on Christmas night and during the entire ten days were limited at best and sometimes just not available. Oftentimes we had to order meals in advance and there was simply no vegetarian option. When we asked what would be available, the answer we generally received was "there will be a vegetarian option." No sense of what it would be and certainly no options from which to choose. The most disappointing was the lunch at Din Tai Fung in Melbourne. The food was terrible, the time allotted short and the wait times long. It made for a very chaotic and unenjoyable experience. While that was the worst, the other options were by no means "great." First class food it was not and most days I would rate it as barely second class.

New Year’s Eve

By far the biggest disappointment was New Year's Eve in Sydney. For months leading up to our trip, we were talking about being in Sydney for New Year’s Eve. Having heard that Disney is known for packing special surprises into the tours, we, and most of our tour, thought that Disney would surprise us with something special that night. As several of our tour’s earlier activities had been cancelled due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances, we thought for sure ABD would find a place for us to watch the fireworks. Not only was there nothing planned, but we were basically left to ourselves to try to make last-minute plans for a night that was “sold out” months in advance. Trying to make New Year’s Eve plans just days in advance while traveling during our trip added an incredible amount of stress to our vacation. Staying at the hotel was also not an option because our room did not face the harbor despite having made this specific request months in advance. While we can now say we were “in Sydney” for the fireworks, we were able to see only a small portion of the fireworks show and what little success we did enjoy from dinner that night was the result of a suggestion from another family on the tour who contacted a friend in Sydney. What we thought would be the highlight of our trip due to Disney’s connections and planning turned out to be nothing of the sort.

ABD Response

Upon returning home we sent a detailed letter to ABD about our trip and expressing our concerns. We know that at least three other families did the same (so 50% of the tour). An ABD representative spoke with us "to gather more information," but ultimately told us that while they appreciated our feedback and would use it to possibly make future tours better, there was nothing to be done for us. I found this the most disappointing aspect of our experience. Having now travelled to the Parks for over 40 years, purchased annual passes and bought into DVC, it is Disney's emphasis on customer service and quality that keeps us coming back and singing its praises multiple times a year from New England. The only way for me to describe ABD's response is to say that it must not really be part of Disney or is just paying to use the name. To take no ownership for this situation and be willing to dismiss concerns raised by at least 50% of the participants is simply not what I expect from Disney. Tellingly, we were the only family on our tour for which this was their first ABD. When we asked the other families how the Australia tour compared to their other ABD tours, every family said it was their worst. This was the most expensive family vacation we have ever taken. We never thought it would be the one we remember for all the wrong reasons.

As I said above, I have not tried to capture all of the problems and issues we had on our tour. If you have specific questions, I am happy to try to answer them. If you are reading this and considering ABD's Australia tour, I strongly urge you to consider alternative
Our family is booked on the upcoming 2024 New Zealand trip that takes place over both Christmas and New Year. I was very nervous about booking over this period but it was the only time we were all available. This will be our first ABD trip, so I am hoping all goes well. I fear New Zealand will be similar to Australia with closures and changes. If the schedule holds both Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve are listed as dinner/evening on our own. I tried checking the cities we will be on those evenings at that time this past holiday week to see if any restaurants looked like they might be open/avalable.
If all else fails were the hotel restaurants open/ available? Or room service an option?
The trip is slightly more expensive than the others listed so I don’t know if that’s more of just a “holiday” premium price because like a Disney park ticket / hotel room surge pricing or if it is to cover additional costs of the activities during the holidays to make sure they are available.

Our family is booked on the upcoming 2024 New Zealand trip that takes place over both Christmas and New Year. I was very nervous about booking over this period but it was the only time we were all available. This will be our first ABD trip, so I am hoping all goes well. I fear New Zealand will be similar to Australia with closures and changes. If the schedule holds both Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve are listed as dinner/evening on our own. I tried checking the cities we will be on those evenings at that time this past holiday week to see if any restaurants looked like they might be open/avalable.
If all else fails were the hotel restaurants open/ available? Or room service an option?
The trip is slightly more expensive than the others listed so I don’t know if that’s more of just a “holiday” premium price because like a Disney park ticket / hotel room surge pricing or if it is to cover additional costs of the activities during the holidays to make sure they are available.
I did this trip in March, so I can't answer the timing questions for you. I would think most hotel restaurants would be open (and the hotel restaurants on this trip were good!) But I know some folks who went Christmas of 2022 had a lot of issues. I don't think I've heard anything from Christmas 2023. You might want to email the hotels and confirm with them.

This particular departure is most likely more expensive because there are more people signed up for it than the other departures. ABD increases the prices for departures as they fill up.

Sayhello

Based on your comment, I just checked your itinerary (Dec. 22-Jan. 2) and you should be in Rotorua on Christmas Eve. It looks like the itinerary has changed since I did the NZ ABD in December 2022 (Dec. 19-30; we were in Christchurch on Christmas Eve). When I went, the group had dinner one night at a restaurant near the hotel. It appears that ABD is no longer doing that. I would definitely google the restaurants around the Pullman Rotorua to see which will be open and whether you can make reservations. The walk to the restaurant area is about a block. The Pullman does have a restaurant on site, but I don’t know if they offer room service.

It looks like you’ll be in Queenstown for NYE. Queenstown does have fireworks, so Google how they celebrate and decide what you want to do. This is definitely somewhere where you want to make dinner reservations before your trip. People who didn’t have them on our trip, had difficulty finding somewhere to eat. There is a famous burger place—I don’t remember the name—where one family ate, but the line was long. The hotel does have a restaurant if you can‘t find anywhere to eat. You’d have to check whether it would be open.

Hopefully, someone who was on the NZ ABD over your travel dates in 2022 or 2023 will chime in.

Based on your comment, I just checked your itinerary (Dec. 22-Jan. 2) and you should be in Rotorua on Christmas Eve. It looks like the itinerary has changed since I did the NZ ABD in December 2022 (Dec. 19-30; we were in Christchurch on Christmas Eve). When I went, the group had dinner one night at a restaurant near the hotel. It appears that ABD is no longer doing that. I would definitely google the restaurants around the Pullman Rotorua to see which will be open and whether you can make reservations. The walk to the restaurant area is about a block. The Pullman does have a restaurant on site, but I don’t know if they offer room service.

It looks like you’ll be in Queenstown for NYE. Queenstown does have fireworks, so Google how they celebrate and decide what you want to do. This is definitely somewhere where you want to make dinner reservations before your trip. People who didn’t have them on our trip, had difficulty finding somewhere to eat. There is a famous burger place—I don’t remember the name—where one family ate, but the line was long. The hotel does have a restaurant if you can‘t find anywhere to eat. You’d have to check whether it would be open.

Hopefully, someone who was on the NZ ABD over your travel dates in 2022 or 2023 will chime in.
The hamburger place is called Fergburger. The line was way too long for me, so I never did eat there. I was able to get into White & Wong's with a last-minute reservation (I had a reservation for a really fancy restaurant for that night, but cancelled it as I just did not feel up to a fancy dinner). White & Wong's is very good. I also ate at Margo's (an Adventure Guide favorite), but piggy-backed on someone else's reservation. Queenstown is difficult to get reservations in the off-season, so I would say you are very right that they should make reservations before they leave home for there.

Sayhello

I am sorry to say I would reconsider this trip with ABD. This is similar to our situation and as I tried to convey, it did not work well for us.

Our family of four (2 adults, 23 and 20) recently returned from our first ABD tour and unfortunately it will be our only ABD. While our guides were great, the tour itself was memorable for the number of misses and perhaps even worse, ABD's total lack of interest in trying to address those misses. If you, like us, ask if ABD is worth the "Disney premium" it charges, the answer is an unmistakable "no." Below are a few of the "highlights" of our experience, but by no means a comprehensive list.

Great Barrier Reef and Cairns

Our tour consisted of 8 families, each with four members. We started in Cairns where the Great Barrier Reef is located. Our "adventure" started with the substitution of an aquarium and public dinner for the scheduled private crocodile adventure and dinner. While the food was decent, the restaurant was so loud no one could communicate such that we ended our first day without really having the opportunity to meet any of the other families. Next, on Christmas day, we took a commercially available boat tour to the Reef with 250 of our closest friends. It offered nothing beyond what we could have purchased on our own at a lower price point. Upon returning we learned that despite being scheduled for dinner on our own, every restaurant was closed for Christmas. Disney decided to "surprise" us by buying us a dinner of pizza and burgers at the hotel where we were staying. If not so sad, the wait time for the food, limited choices and confusion at the restaurant would be comical. The following day we traveled to the rain forest, but the village in which we were supposed to spend a significant amount of time was all but closed for Boxing Day. And to top off the day, the cable car over the rain forest was cancelled due to weather, so it was an early return to the hotel for us with no substitution offered.

Meals

We had significant food issues throughout the tour. One of our daughters is vegetarian and the options for her on Christmas night and during the entire ten days were limited at best and sometimes just not available. Oftentimes we had to order meals in advance and there was simply no vegetarian option. When we asked what would be available, the answer we generally received was "there will be a vegetarian option." No sense of what it would be and certainly no options from which to choose. The most disappointing was the lunch at Din Tai Fung in Melbourne. The food was terrible, the time allotted short and the wait times long. It made for a very chaotic and unenjoyable experience. While that was the worst, the other options were by no means "great." First class food it was not and most days I would rate it as barely second class.

New Year’s Eve

By far the biggest disappointment was New Year's Eve in Sydney. For months leading up to our trip, we were talking about being in Sydney for New Year’s Eve. Having heard that Disney is known for packing special surprises into the tours, we, and most of our tour, thought that Disney would surprise us with something special that night. As several of our tour’s earlier activities had been cancelled due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances, we thought for sure ABD would find a place for us to watch the fireworks. Not only was there nothing planned, but we were basically left to ourselves to try to make last-minute plans for a night that was “sold out” months in advance. Trying to make New Year’s Eve plans just days in advance while traveling during our trip added an incredible amount of stress to our vacation. Staying at the hotel was also not an option because our room did not face the harbor despite having made this specific request months in advance. While we can now say we were “in Sydney” for the fireworks, we were able to see only a small portion of the fireworks show and what little success we did enjoy from dinner that night was the result of a suggestion from another family on the tour who contacted a friend in Sydney. What we thought would be the highlight of our trip due to Disney’s connections and planning turned out to be nothing of the sort.

ABD Response

Upon returning home we sent a detailed letter to ABD about our trip and expressing our concerns. We know that at least three other families did the same (so 50% of the tour). An ABD representative spoke with us "to gather more information," but ultimately told us that while they appreciated our feedback and would use it to possibly make future tours better, there was nothing to be done for us. I found this the most disappointing aspect of our experience. Having now travelled to the Parks for over 40 years, purchased annual passes and bought into DVC, it is Disney's emphasis on customer service and quality that keeps us coming back and singing its praises multiple times a year from New England. The only way for me to describe ABD's response is to say that it must not really be part of Disney or is just paying to use the name. To take no ownership for this situation and be willing to dismiss concerns raised by at least 50% of the participants is simply not what I expect from Disney. Tellingly, we were the only family on our tour for which this was their first ABD. When we asked the other families how the Australia tour compared to their other ABD tours, every family said it was their worst. This was the most expensive family vacation we have ever taken. We never thought it would be the one we remember for all the wrong reasons.

As I said above, I have not tried to capture all of the problems and issues we had on our tour. If you have specific questions, I am happy to try to answer them. If you are reading this and considering ABD's Australia tour, I strongly urge you to consider alternatives.
Wow I am so sorry that you had that experience. Been on 3 ABDs and absolutely loved everything about it. That being said I hope I can post a happier update to this as j am booked on the Australia trip this year (December 22-31). So based on the itinerary Christmas Day is our travel day to Melbourne and will be there Boxing Day. Tour ends NYE morning in Sydney. I had started my research last summer on NYE Plans and the bridge climb and booked on January 2nd a NYE fireworks cruise - cost $1000pp USD and the bridge climb for one of the last times before they close it (closed 12/30 and 12/31 for setup and the fireworks). Hoping they learn from their mistakes post pandemic. Based on the last guest count and price hike they likely have space for one more small family. Keep you all posted

Wow I am so sorry that you had that experience. Been on 3 ABDs and absolutely loved everything about it. That being said I hope I can post a happier update to this as j am booked on the Australia trip this year (December 22-31). So based on the itinerary Christmas Day is our travel day to Melbourne and will be there Boxing Day. Tour ends NYE morning in Sydney. I had started my research last summer on NYE Plans and the bridge climb and booked on January 2nd a NYE fireworks cruise - cost $1000pp USD and the bridge climb for one of the last times before they close it (closed 12/30 and 12/31 for setup and the fireworks). Hoping they learn from their mistakes post pandemic. Based on the last guest count and price hike they likely have space for one more small family. Keep you all posted
You will love the bridge climb. I did it when I did ABD Australia. The fireworks from the bridge are awesome and you will have the perfect view from the water. I chose to view them from land with a ticketed event and it is still the best NYE fireworks display I’ve seen during my travels.

@grubens, if I were you, I would e-mail the President who oversees ABD. I find that's generally the best way to get a better response than when you try lower-level guest relations.

Our family is booked on the upcoming 2024 New Zealand trip that takes place over both Christmas and New Year. I was very nervous about booking over this period but it was the only time we were all available.

For my 2022 New Zealand trip, we arrived on Christmas. Breakfast was on the aircraft (red-eye flight). The hotel had special holiday brunches but I didn't want to reserve that due to the cost. Instead, we were able to check into the room early and use room service for lunch. ABD provided Christmas dinner. The only activity open on Christmas was the Auckland Sky Tower so we went there. The only restaurant I saw open was a kebab stand.

For our on-our-own dinner in Christchurch (Dec 30) I reserved the hotel restaurant since I couldn't find another restaurant I liked. While walking around that evening, several restaurants were open so it would have been possible to walk in somewhere.

For New Years Eve, we reached Franz Josef and ABD provided dinner at the hotel restaurant. There was no New Years Eve event or fireworks. Franz Josef is a tiny town and I was happy just to get to bed early.

New Years Day was spent in Franz Josef, which is a small touristy town so fortunately most restaurants were open and all activities were open. I had contacted the Alice May restaurant in advance to confirm they would be open and that reservations weren't needed. Our ABD guides also offered to make reservations at a different restaurant for those who wanted it.

The only activity that was cancelled was the horseback ride, and ABD substituted the Skyline Queenstown activity for that.

So the holidays didn't cause big problems on our trip, and it was an amazing trip overall. The biggest issue was making the connection at Auckland airport at the end of the trip. The delays might have been due to staff shortages or the number of passengers flying during the holidays.

We also had complications on a Christmas/NYE holiday trip on ABD Australia. Not sure if it’s the fault of the local vendor who operates that tour, but they don’t do a good job of replacing activities/meals that are cancelled/closed/changed, etc.

We also had complications on a Christmas/NYE holiday trip on ABD Australia. Not sure if it’s the fault of the local vendor who operates that tour, but they don’t do a good job of replacing activities/meals that are cancelled/closed/changed, etc.
I am curious to know what you meant by this.

Does Disney really subcontract the tours to local vendors who operates the tours?? I always had understood ABD/Disney operated the tours, that the ABD guides were employed by Disney, etc. ABD operates the tours and makes all of the arrangements on behalf of the people taking the tour. Is this now how it works?

Does Disney really subcontract the tours to local vendors who operates the tours?? I always had understood ABD/Disney operated the tours, that the ABD guides were employed by Disney, etc. ABD operates the tours and makes all of the arrangements on behalf of the people taking the tour. Is this now how it works?
They do, but they don’t have their own people in every city running the activities. They just arrange everything with local operators.

They do, but they don’t have their own people in every city running the activities. They just arrange everything with local operators.
Right. Like if the ABD has you ziplining, the Adventure Guides don't run the ziplining - ABD does not have their own ziplining company. ABD has contracted with a Local ziplining company to provide and run the activity. The Adventure Guides will get you there, and be with you to help make sure everything goes as it should, but, ultimately, if the zipline company is closed for the Holiday, then ABD can't do the activity. I don't really think it's the provider's fault if ABD has scheduled something on a day when they are closed (assuming they've informed ABD of this) and it's ABD's responsibility to find an alternative activity. But we're never going to know how much advance notice ABD was given for cancelled activities.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter