ABD China

Which is such a bummer. My expectation is that it would look REALLY BAD for a tour company to have one of their tourists get detained, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'm just feeling the itch to go and "check off" the last two Disney parks, ha. Even though I wouldn't have plans for at least two years (if not more).
There was a situation several years ago when H1N1 was running rampant where a mother (who posted here) and her kid(s) were quarantined for most of their China ABD because someone on the plane within 3 rows of them was sick (not them, and I don't even know if it was confirmed the sick person had H1N1). ABD could do nothing to get them out of quarantine. They kept in constant contact with them, and worked everything out for them after their quarantine was done, but they could not help them while they were in quarantine (and it was NOT a pleasant experience!) It might not look good for ABD, but again, there's nothing they can do about it if the Chinese government target you, falsely or not.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but some risks are worse than others.

But a lot could change in 2 years...

Sayhello

Last edited:
I will say if your only goal in China is to visit Shanghai and HKDL that's pretty easy to do on your own. I've done it several times and helped others as well. If you want to do Beijing, Great Wall, out to Chengdu for the pandas, etc. then by all means I would suggest an organized group tour, but just Shanghai and Hong Kong are easy on your own. (Assuming you've at least traveled outside of the US a few times)
That’s fair! The parks are the entire reason I want to go, but it’s also one of those thing where if I’m there, I might as well go for more! We’ve been outside the US several times (Ireland, UK, France, Japan, etc), but I’ve read the visa process for China can be complicated, and I’m not as comfortable navigating the country on my own. This American is, unfortunately, not well versed in other languages! Ha.

There was a situation several years ago when H1N1 was running rampant where a single mother (who posted here) and her kid(s) were quarantined for most of their China ABD because someone on the plane within 3 rows of them was sick (not them, and I don't even know if it was confirmed the sick person had H1N1). ABD could do nothing to get them out of quarantine. They kept in constant contact with them, and worked everything out for them after their quarantine was done, but they could not help them while they were in quarantine (and it was NOT a pleasant experience!) It might not look good for ABD, but again, there's nothing they can do about it if the Chinese government target you, falsely or not.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but some risks are worse than others.

But a lot could change in 2 years...

Sayhello
Oh my lanta. That sounds horrible. I just found some of her posts- she is a lot braver than I, I don’t think I would ever want to go back if that happened to me.

I am curious- for anyone from the US, given that mainland China has a travel advisory on it, would it still be a location you would feel safe traveling to? I would being a on a group trip (vs solo) influence that decision?
I would have no problem going. The only thing I would do is minimize the electronics I brought. No laptops or tablets, disable any wireless connections on my camera, and maybe even use a pay as you go phone.

I would have no problem going. The only thing I would do is minimize the electronics I brought. No laptops or tablets, disable any wireless connections on my camera, and maybe even use a pay as you go phone.
We did this also… I didn’t want to risk it. I also set my email to forward to an account made just for the trip so I could check it without using my actual email password anywhere. Plus used a VPN back to the states as much as possible.

Wait, why is this?
The risk of tracking software being installed on your device is not zero. https://www.securityweek.com/us-olympians-told-use-burner-phones-china/

It is common practice to do so, though of course not everyone does. They also may demand to see the data you currently have on your phone when you go through security checks at the airport. Its rare, so folk argue about whether its really necessary. This article for instance says athletes and business travelers... but I would argue that they aren't going to treat a target differently just because its vacation and not business travel. You do you.

"Upon entry into China, business travelers and athletes should understand that Chinese authorities have the authority to inspect or seize any device for security reasons during customs processing. Although these incidents are rare, olympians should assume that every text, email, online visit, and application access can be monitored or compromised."

Wait, why is this?
In addition to @AquaDame comments, I’d add that there were some comments after the first Around the World AbD noting some in the group had their portable power banks confiscated at airport security, and the Laughing Place guys turned everything off while there/made no posts. Also, I have a friend whose daughter was stationed at the US Embassy there for two years and she shared similar cautions about not using personal electronic devices while in the country.

In addition to @AquaDame comments, I’d add that there were some comments after the first Around the World AbD noting some in the group had their portable power banks confiscated at airport security
With just a small bit of research, we knew several years ago when we did ABD China that the portable power units of certain size were banned in carry-on luggage in China. That shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, but we had a couple taken by security during our trip. There are a number of countries that don't allow them through security.

As you can see from my name, I lived in China for many years. My colleagues who are still there do not advise coming to CHina unless you are with a guide. It has become less easy to navigate without a Chinese phone, we chat, wechat pay, and access to apps like Didi (Uber). Due to tensions between the US and China, there is a risk of tracking and arbitrary detention. I turned down a two week business trip to China coming up in October and I am a five year former resident of China.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter