ABD Peru

TravelParent

Earning My Ears
Anyone with insight into this summer’s ABD Peru trips? State Dept Level 4 travel advisory to Cusco region, but ABD still pushing for full payment… I’m worried the trip will proceed but Machu Picchu will get removed from the itinerary last minute due to safety. Anyone else traveling to Peru this summer? TIA!

We're leaving next week for the Galapagos and Peru. The company we're traveling with is fairly conservative, Road Scholar, and they are ok with going to Machu Picchu. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thank you! Safe travels to you and please report back!

I would suggest doing some further research to see if you are comfortable traveling. The level 4 travel advisory is for "Valley of the Apurímac, Ene, and Mantaro Rivers (VRAEM) includes areas within the Departments of Ayacucho, Cusco, Huancavelica, and Junin" because of terrorist activity. The affected area is a cocaine producing region that appears to be hundreds of miles from the city of Cusco. I would personally feel fine about doing the Peru ABD this summer. We have traveled independently in multiple countries in South America and many seem to have some area that the State Department considers a level 4, so the warnings in Peru seem like par for the course to me. I worry more about things like mugging and pickpocketing (but travel anyway with proper precautions).

Just got back last week. Everything was fine. We were in Lima, Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu. I didn't seen anything that looked remotely like protests, and actually did see several small religious processions and celebrations. Our guide said that there is always simmering resentment about the government but that it was back down the the "normal" levels and that it is back to business as usual. No travel disruptions, everyone happy to see tourists.

We had a great trip.

Just got back last week. Everything was fine. We were in Lima, Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu. I didn't seen anything that looked remotely like protests, and actually did see several small religious processions and celebrations. Our guide said that there is always simmering resentment about the government but that it was back down the the "normal" levels and that it is back to business as usual. No travel disruptions, everyone happy to see tourists.

We had a great trip.
Thanks for the update!

Not yet, but it is on my list. We are planning to go there with the whole family in September-October this year. Hopefully the weather will be fine as we want to do a lot of different activities. I was checking best inca trail operators and curious if someone used them already? How was your experience and what tours would you recommend the most?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter