ABD Website re-design

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Well, as the subject notes, ABD has re-worked their website. I can't really recall the last time I visited the website, but it doesn't seem like it could have been *that* long ago. Does anyone know for sure when it changed?

So far, I like it. It's not quite as "pretty" as the old site in some places, but it's much easier to navigate. It still has the banner of scrollable photos at the top, but it seems you need to hit the arrows to scroll through them rather than them scrolling automatically the first time through. I think it's a bit cleaner and easier to read.

Instead of the tabs the site used to use, it's all one long page that you can either scroll through all the sections or easily access each section via a menu on the left side. There's a little bit more info at the top (minimum age/recommended age, how many of what meals are included.

There's still the same sections (Trip Highlights, Trip Overview, Itinerary, Rates & Dates) plus some sections for info that used to be buried in the FAQ.

You can expand each day's itinerary separately like before, or there's a toggle to expand or collapse all days at the same time. I like that.

In the Rates & Dates Section, it now says "Now Accepting an Interest List" instead of "Now Accepting Waitlist". I wonder what the exact distinction between those two things is.

They don't appear to have downloadable .pdf's anymore (at least I haven't found them yet) but they do have a "Print Itinerary" button that you can use to print to a .pdf if you want to.

It still has the menu across the top of all the pages where you can filter/search for trips by Destination or Trip Type, etc. The filter/search results pages look a bit different, also (boxes that are 3 across rather than a big list that's 1 across). A little cleaner looking.

That's all I've seen so far; I'm still exploring. So far, it seems like an improvement.

Sayhello

Well, as the subject notes, ABD has re-worked their website. I can't really recall the last time I visited the website, but it doesn't seem like it could have been *that* long ago. Does anyone know for sure when it changed?

I first noticed the changes early last week, so maybe at least a week ago?

So far, I like it. It's not quite as "pretty" as the old site in some places, but it's much easier to navigate.

I am finding it harder to find things,…the link to jump to rates & dates seems hidden. It also takes a lot more clicks to get somewhere if I don’t want to scroll through it all. I am also missing the concise summary of all departure dates for a trip that we used to be able to view with the list of all trips by a region.

In the Rates & Dates Section, it now says "Now Accepting an Interest List" instead of "Now Accepting Waitlist". I wonder what the exact distinction between those two things is.
My guess would be, the interest list might be for those trips they are waiting to see if enough people are interested in a departure date before they commit to it, where a wait list is a currently offered date which has filled up.

I first noticed the changes early last week, so maybe at least a week ago?
Interesting!

I am finding it harder to find things,…the link to jump to rates & dates seems hidden. It also takes a lot more clicks to get somewhere if I don’t want to scroll through it all. I am also missing the concise summary of all departure dates for a trip that we used to be able to view with the list of all trips by a region.
I didn't have any issues finding Rates & Dates, but maybe not all the pages are working correctly? I just looked at a couple of trips. And you're right, the view of all departure dates *is* gone from the filter/search page.

My guess would be, the interest list might be for those trips they are waiting to see if enough people are interested in a departure date before they commit to it, where a wait list is a currently offered date which has filled up.
That makes sense. And I assume they would be handled differently.

ETA: I checked Morocco, and they have a sold out date, and it says "This departure is sold out. Please call 800-543-0865 to join the waitlist." So you definitely seem to be right!

Sayhello

I'm bummed they got rid of the PDF's. I wonder if that's so people can't go back as easily to compare.
Since the itinerary can be printed, similar to printing a PDF (and it does print quite nicely), I am guessing it is to have one less thing for them to have to keep updated. Update the website, one change to make and it’s immediately available both visual and print. With a Website and a PDF, both were having to be updated, and then one additional step of loading out the new PDF to the file location linked to the website.

This change seems better from a maintenance and consistency perspective as there no longer any chance of inconsistency between the two. A few times we’d find where the website itinerary said one thing and the PDF another after an update, or if one itinerary PDF was copied to use as the framework to start a new one and not all aspects of the old wording were updated to the new itinerary information. Fewer questions in to the CM to ask for clarification between the two as well.

Since the itinerary can be printed, similar to printing a PDF (and it does print quite nicely), I am guessing it is to have one less thing for them to have to keep updated. Update the website, one change to make and it’s immediately available both visual and print. With a Website and a PDF, both were having to be updated, and then one additional step of loading out the new PDF to the file location linked to the website.

This change seems better from a maintenance and consistency perspective as there no longer any chance of inconsistency between the two. A few times we’d find where the website itinerary said one thing and the PDF another after an update, or if one itinerary PDF was copied to use as the framework to start a new one and not all aspects of the old wording were updated to the new itinerary information. Fewer questions in to the CM to ask for clarification between the two as well.

I didn't realize it printed nicely. I think the last time I tried to print from the website it was all off center, etc. That was probably a long time ago though :) Good point on maintenance and consistency, although I like my conspiracy theory aspect better, LOL!!! :rotfl2:

That actually makes a *lot* of sense! Thanks for that perspective. It hadn't occurred to me.

I didn't realize it printed nicely. I think the last time I tried to print from the website it was all off center, etc. That was probably a long time ago though :) Good point on maintenance and consistency, although I like my conspiracy theory aspect better, LOL!!! :rotfl2:
They have a new "Print Itinerary" button, and I tested it, and it *does* produce a nice, neat printout/pdf. Honesly, the only thing it seems to be missing is any photographs. Which are pretty, but not totally necessary!

Ah, conspiracy theories! What would we do without them? :)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter