? about Asperger's syndrome after evaluation

DVCisME

DIS Veteran
Hi! We had my son evaluated by the school for asperger's. We also brought him the neurologist, but this is just in regards to the school. The evealuation is complete and we will be meeting with the school in a little over a week to discuss the findings.
The paperwork was sent home to review. From the paperwork I got: he is of "superior" intellegence, does NOt qualify for OT, needs fine motor control and pencil grip improvement, has difficulty finiishing tasks in a defined time when writing, average ability to apply academic skills,limited passage comprehension skills, incosistently attentive.
So, what does this mean? I don't really understand what test/evaluation say yes he has it, no he doesn't.
Sorry if this is offensive to anyone, but I feel lost and confused.
The saddest was when the evaluator asked Jacob what he liked most about school he said "I don't really know", but when asked what he felt was the hardest about school he said "it's hard for me to play with some of my friends". Are there any evaluations that look at his interaction with his peers?
TIA

Just wondering how old your son is. Did you ask the school to test him or did they tell you he was going to be tested?

Hi! We had my son evaluated by the school for asperger's. We also brought him the neurologist, but this is just in regards to the school. The evealuation is complete and we will be meeting with the school in a little over a week to discuss the findings.
The paperwork was sent home to review. From the paperwork I got: he is of "superior" intellegence, does NOt qualify for OT, needs fine motor control and pencil grip improvement, has difficulty finiishing tasks in a defined time when writing, average ability to apply academic skills,limited passage comprehension skills, incosistently attentive.
So, what does this mean? I don't really understand what test/evaluation say yes he has it, no he doesn't.
Sorry if this is offensive to anyone, but I feel lost and confused.
The saddest was when the evaluator asked Jacob what he liked most about school he said "I don't really know", but when asked what he felt was the hardest about school he said "it's hard for me to play with some of my friends". Are there any evaluations that look at his interaction with his peers?
TIA

Hi,

Thought I would chime in here as my son Jacob was diagnosed with high functioning autism when he was three. I can completely understand where you are coming from having been there. Your son sounds a lot like my son Jacob. He has a very high IQ, needs extra time on writing assignments, appears to be inattentive, and has a lack of social skills and no friends (makes me cry when he tells me he has no friends and doesn't really know how to make them).

I am sorry to say but I think that they are contradicting themselves when they say that he needs help with pencil grip and fine motor control help but doesn't need OT. These are things that an ot would help him with. Please insist on OT for your son, it will be of great help. In my experience, the school system likes to tell you that there is no need for things because they don't want to provide services. You have to be an advocate for your child and educate yourself about everything, I know after going through this for years. The more knowledge you have the better prepared you will be to fight for the things your child needs.

There are things that you really need to do right from the start, like keep a notebook with copies of all paperwork, notes about any phone calls between you and the school, after the phone calls write a letter stating what you understand was discussed in the phone conversation and send it to the person you spoke to so you have a written record of everything in case you need it later.

There are tests that can be done relative to social skills. The school used the Walker-McConnell Scale of Social Competence and School Adjustment for Jacob. See if they will do this or if they have something comparable that they use. I have a bunch of info regarding social skills, and goals that can be added to your son's IEP (Individual Education Plan). (Sorry, I don't know how much you know or how far into this you are, so please don't be offended by me stating what the IEP is.) Here are a bunch to start with, read them through and see what applies to your child (sorry you didn't say how old he was so I am just using what we asked for in our son's IEP this year and he is in 7th grade). There are also some writing goals as well.

Content Strand: Dealing With Feelings/Self-awareness
Annual Goal #1 Jacob will identify and manage feelings (i.e., anger, anxiety, stress, frustration) on a daily basis with 90%frequency as measured by _____________.
a. Identify behaviors that cause others to become angry (i.e., calling others names, tattling, making unkind remarks and discussing others).
b. Express anger appropriately by using words to state feelings.
c. Ask adult for help or move away to a quiet place (voluntary time out).
d. Respond to teasing from peers appropriately.
e. Control temper in conflict situations with adults.
f. Receive feedback appropriately.
g. Listen to the opinion of a peer without interrupting or walking away.
h. Seek help appropriately.
i. State how his/her behavior affects others.
j. Identify way(s) to ease frustration in hypothetical situations.
k. Identify signs of frustration in self.
l. Name ways people show approval/disapproval.
m. Describe situation's) in which student experiences a given emotion.
n. Describe condition(s) which make the student feel angry.
o. Distinguish between fact, rational belief and irrational belief.
p. Manage unreasonable fears.
q. Identify appropriate behavior when presented with real or simulated situations involving peer pressure.
r. Engage in appropriate behavior when confronted with inappropriate behavior.
s. Recognize when peer pressure may be harmful.
t. Use assertive behavior in resisting harmful peer pressure.

Content Strand: Pragmatics-Conversation Rules Behaviors
Annual Goal #2 Jacob will/use the conversational rules of _____ at ____% of the opportunity as measured by ___________.

a. Initiate a conversation or join in a conversation.
b. Make introductions.
c. Use contingent queries and responses.
d. Make clarification requests.
e. Respond to clarification requests.
f. Give appropriate verbal feedback.
g. Give appropriate non-verbal feedback.
h. Allow appropriate pause time between interchanges.
i. Does not interrupt and/or overlap partner.
j. Give appropriate amount of information, not too much or too little.
k. Make comments, ask questions that are relevant.
l. Send clear, concise messages.
m. Use polite/friendly form as appropriate.
n. Accurately judge listener's background knowledge and available referents and provide appropriate information.
o. Use indirectives and hints when appropriate.
Content Strand: Pragmatics-Para-linguistic Behaviors
Annual Goal #3 Jacob will increase the number of appropriate para-linguistic behaviors to ____% of opportunity and/or as appropriate to the situation as measured by ________________.

a. Use appropriate eye contact.
b. Use appropriate posture.
c. Use appropriate facial expression.
d. Use appropriate distance between speaker and listener.
e. Use appropriate gestures.
f. Use appropriate volume/intonation.
Content Strand: Writing
Annual Goal #4 Jacob will increase writing skills to (grade/proficiency level) in the area(s) of ideas and Content, Organization, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency and Conventions) as measured by __________ (State Scoring Guide, analysis of writing samples, diagnostic survey, spelling inventory).

a. Use descriptive words for more colorful writing.
b. Use descriptive phrases to create a picture in writing.
c. Use descriptive language appropriate for text and reader interest.
d. Use more than one resource to increase written vocabulary (e.g., charts, Thesaurus, etc.).
e. Use many resources to improve clarity and effectiveness of writing for classmates and teachers.
f. Edit writing to include using new words, familiar words in a different way, and colorful expressions, to paint a picture in the reader's mind.
g. Edit writing to use powerful, active verbs.
h. Select appropriate language, approach, form and style for purpose and audience.
i. Demonstrate organization by developing a beginning, middle, and ending using some transition words (e.g., first, next, then).
j. Demonstrate organization by developing an introduction, body of text and conclusion with clear sequencing of ideas and use of transitional words and phrases.
k. Select appropriate organizational strategy (e.g., outlining, identifying, and supporting topic, following a model, maps, and charts).
l. Organize with paragraphs when writing from a prompt or on a topic.
m. Use paragraphs to organize structure within text for a specific purpose of content.
n. Write paragraphs in which sentences are related to the topic.
o. Write paragraphs containing a stated main idea and closing sentence.
p. Write multi-paragraph passages (e.g., stories, reports).
q. Revise writing by adding or deleting text.
r. Change some text to improve clarity.
s. Revise writing to improve clarity and effectiveness by adding relevant details and changing or rearranging text.
t. Edit writing to organize sentences into paragraphs.
Content Strand: Social Skills
Annual Goal #5 Jacob will develop social understanding skills as measured by the benchmarks listed below.
a. _____ will raise their hand and wait to be called on before talking aloud in group settings 4/5 opportunities to do so.
b. _____will work cooperatively with peers in small group settings (ie. Share materials, allow peers to share different thoughts) 4/5 opportunities to do so.
c. _____ will develop an understanding of the relationship between his/her verbalizations and actions/effect on others 4/5 opportunities to do so.
d. _____ will engage in appropriate cooperative social play interactions initiated by others 4/5 opportunities to do so.
e. _____ will engage in cooperative social play interactions by allowing others to make changes or alter the play routine 4/5 opportunities to do so.
f. _____ will engage in appropriate turn-taking skills by attending to peer’s turn and waiting for own turn 4/5 opportunities to do so.
g. _____will appropriately acknowledge an interaction initiated by others by giving an appropriate response, either verbal or non-verbal.
h. _____ will develop an understanding of the rationale for various social skills by stating the reason when asked (ie. Why do we say excuse me?)
i. _____ will increase social awareness of environment by stating what is taking place in environment or imitating actions of others 4/5 opportunities to do so.
j. _____ will increase safety awareness by stating the effect of various situations 4/5 opportunities to do so.
k. _____ will identify appropriate social rules and codes of conduct for various social situations 4/5 opportunities to do so.
l. _____ will refrain from interrupting others by exhibiting appropriate social interaction skills 4/5 opportunities.

I have a ton of links, info, etc. that I am willing to share so feel free to pm me and I can pass along this info to you.

I know that after Jacob was diagnosed we were at a loss as we were told the diagnosis over the phone and had no follow up with where to go from there. There is a ton of info out there and you really need to make yourself aware of the laws out there. Is there a support group in your area? This is a great way to get info about the disability, what has worked with other children and to get info about your school's willingness to work with the students to accommodate their needs.

Sending you lots of hugs:hug::hug::hug:!!! Again, feel free to pm me and ask questions and I will try my best to give you the info you need.

Ronda

Sorry about the length of my last post just wanted to make sure I was able to give you lots of info to think about. I know it can be overwhelming.

Ronda

My son is 5 and I went to them. Thanks for the information.
I too thought it was odd that they were saying he didn't need OT. Every report that was done, that I received from the school, mentioned how he held his pencil too. The OT in his/her report also mention ways to correct it and suggested he join a community group (ie t-ball) for hand-eye coordination.
I am going to re-read you post and copy ;). Thanks. I do know what an IEP is but wouldn't know what to ask for, etc.

in New Jersey the schools are allowed to diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome? Here in Massachusetts, the medical field has to diagnose, the schools do accommodations and testing for placement/guides, but do not diagnose.

in New Jersey the schools are allowed to diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome? Here in Massachusetts, the medical field has to diagnose, the schools do accommodations and testing for placement/guides, but do not diagnose.

You are right the school isn't allowed to make a diagnosis but if they suspect something they can send the child for testing with the approval/consent of the parents. Our son was evaluated by the MA school dept. and then sent to RI Childrens Hospital for a full evaluation and it was the hospital that gave us the diagnosis not the school. The school did however pay for the diagnosis eventho Jacob wasn't a student at the time.

If you don't agree with the diagnosis or the recommendations therein, please get an independent evaluation done by a neutral party.

If you have any questions about what should be in the IEP or what you should ask for I could give you some ideas if I know what specifically he struggles with.

I would also suggested going to wrightslaw.com and also ordering their book From Emotions to Advocacy as it is really helpful.

Again, if you have any other questions, please feel free to either post or pm me.

Ronda

No the school cannot diagnose, thus I told him to a neurologist. I was just curious if there was something, an evaluation or test, that was clear cut or made one think "okay he does have this". Also the neurologist, that I sought out, is waiting on the school reports so I felt they must be pretty solid/conclusive.
My son has a very difficult time socializing with his peers and transitioning. He also can become easily frustrated and use his hands or yell. He has a hard time being in groups or sitting at the tables in the kindergarten classroom. The teacher currently allows him to go off by himself to a different table. Should this be in the IEP? Is this not a good idea? She also allows him to walk around the classroom if he needs a break.

If the school evaluation was a good one (comprehensive and done by individuals highly trained in Aspergers) it should include specific areas where the characteristics are having an impact (both beneficially and challenging) on him in the educational environment and should already have recommendations to be applies in the IEP. You really should follow through with a clinical evaluation and potential diagnosis (in addition to the educational classification) including and auditory processing evaluating since that will be a good indicator of executive function (EF) differentials and they usually come along with some excellent concrete recommendations.

Here is a “starter list” of core needs, for which individualized supports, accommodations, modifications and programs need to be developed.

Teachers and staff that a current and well informed about Aspergers, who understand how to identify manifestations vs. typical behaviors and who will address any skills based deficits that are contributing to concerns, and have education and training in the items below.

An accepting and supportive environment free from bullying by students and teachers

A sensory environment, which is appropriate for sensory variations (both hyper and hypo) including OT

A social skills program which includes individual, group and generalization segments and which includes TOM

A program to support and accommodate for their EF differentials.

A modified curriculum and curricular supports appropriate for her EF, social and sensory differentials.

Gifted programs to engage and their gifts and to allow them to reach their potential.

Such 1 on 1 and small group support as may be needed to accomplish the above in the general education LRE environment.

If there are fine motor skill issues, which are affecting his ability to receive and appropriate education then the school, is required to provide OT for this.

One global concern which all of the above needs address is anxiety, which if not managed effectively by the above will at best prevent progress and at worst be damaging.

Others have listed goals an specific methodologies above, and there are many others that need to be considered for your child’s individual needs, but the important thing is to not loose sight of these needs since they are the core of what needs to be addressed for our children to flourish.

IF you have not already get a copy of Tony Attwood’s “The Complete Guide to Aspergers” (actually by 2 or 3 so you can loan copies to the other IEP members and teachers and staff who will be implementing the IEP). They are available on Amazon for $25 apiece and are the best investment you can make in your child’s future.

If you have any specific question please feel free to ask.

bookwormde

Here are some goals that you might want to consider for the IEP:

Content Strand: Fine Motor
Annual Goal #10 _______ will improve grasp-release pattern to adequately use classroom materials __________ % of time as
measured by _________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Use dominant hand.
Objective #2 Use non dominant hand.
Objective #3 Use both hands together.
Objective #4 Grasp, hold, and release larger classroom objects (such as books).
Objective #5 Grasp. hold, and release smaller classroom objects such as pencils or crayons.

Content Strand: Fine Motor
Annual Goal #11 __________ will increase ability to manipulate classroom objects, grasp pencil and hold scissors and pencil
________ % of time as measured by ________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Transfer an object from one hand to the other.
Objective #2 Manipulate objects and materials on a working surface (desk, table) to position for functional use.
Objective #3 Manipulate containers to access materials (open and close a jar, open glue bottle, open crayon box, use pencil
sharpener, etc.).
Objective #4 Turn pages independently.
Objective #5 Use an assistive device to turn pages.
Objective #6 Pick up, position, and use writing and art tools.Objective #7 Pick up, position, and use cutting materials.
Objective #8 Pick up, position, and carry educational materials from one site to another.
Objective #9 Hold pencil in a quadruped grasp (index and middle fingers opposed to thumb).
Objective #10 Hold pencil in a mature tripod grasp (index finger opposed to thumb).
Objective #11 Hold pencil in adapted tripod grasp (with pencil between index and middle fingers).
Objective #12 Use an adapter to maintain a functional pencil grasp.
Objective #13 Hold scissors in dominant hand with wrists extended and with hands in "thumbs up" position.
Objective #14 Hold paper in non-dominant hand with hand in "thumbs up" position.
Objective #15 Rotate paper with non-dominant hand.

Content Strand: Intermediate Gross Motor-object control-catching
Annual Goal #21 ______will catch using a mature form (or to a score ____) as measured by ___________ (evaluation tool, e.g.,
TGMD, etc.).
Objective #1 Catch a tossed ball.
Objective #2 Bounce and catch a rubber playground ball.
Objective #3 Catch, bending the elbows, to scoop the ball into the body.
Objective #4 Catch, using the hands to trap the ball (vice-squeeze).
Objective #5 Catch and control the bail using hands only, with elbows bending to absorb force.
Objective #6 Catch a ball tossed from_________feet using a mature form.
Objective #7 Move to catch a playground ball/tennis ball that is tossed___________ feet to the left or right.
Objective #8 Keep head down and eyes on the ball as it approaches.
Objective #9 Trap the ball on his/her lap with arms.
Objective #10 Catch using assistive devices.

Content Strand: Sensory Motor
Annual Goal #43 _________ will increase ability to transition from one activity to another ___________ % of time as measured by
____________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Use a visual to transition.
Objective #2 Use a concrete object to transition.
Objective #3 Use a sensory motor activity prior to transition.
Objective #4 Use a sensory motor activity/technique during the transition.
Objective #5 Complete the transition within the time specified by the teacher.

Annual Goal #46 __________ will increase awareness of his/her body within the school environment _________% of time as
measured by ___________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Sit safely in seat.
Objective #2 Navigate within the classroom safely.
Objective #3 Transition within the school building safely.
Objective #4 Transition from school building to playground safely.
Objective #5 Transition to and from bus safely.

Annual Goal #47 ___________ will increase participation in playground/recess/physical education programs _______ % of the time
as measured by ____________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Perform motor planning activities.
Objective #2 Play on playground/gym equipment.
Objective #3 Play interactive games with peers.
Objective #4 Participate in musical games.

Annual Goal #48 ________ will increase ability to calm self when anxious or frustrated _____ % of the time as measured by
________ (evaluation tool).
Objective #1 Take a rest break.
Objective #2 Use relaxation techniques.
Objective #3 Use sensory motor techniques/activities.
Objective #4 Demonstrate appropriate emotions during difficult tasks.
Objective #5 Demonstrate appropriate emotions during transitions.
Objective #6 Demonstrate appropriate emotions during group activities.
Objective #7 Demonstrate appropriate emotions during changes in routine (substitutes, altered bell schedule, etc.).

Annual Goal #49 ________ will increase ability to focus attention ________ % of the time as measured by ________ (evaluation
tool).
Objective #1 Attend to teacher while sitting at desk or in circle.
Objective #2 Attend to small group activity.
Objective #3 Focus on a task for the time requested by the teacher.
Objective #4 Focus on the overhead or other visuals.
Objective #5 Attend to a student presentation.

Here are some goals to think about that go along with your last post. I hope that you find this helpful. Print these out and go over them to see which apply most and then bring your list with you when you go to the meeting. Don't sign your IEP until you are happy with it and it includes what you wish. If I find more I will post them. Good luck and keep us updated. If you think of something else you need to know, let me know and I will see what I can find from my ever growing stack of info!

Ronda

No the school cannot diagnose, thus I told him to a neurologist. I was just curious if there was something, an evaluation or test, that was clear cut or made one think "okay he does have this". Also the neurologist, that I sought out, is waiting on the school reports so I felt they must be pretty solid/conclusive.
My son has a very difficult time socializing with his peers and transitioning. He also can become easily frustrated and use his hands or yell. He has a hard time being in groups or sitting at the tables in the kindergarten classroom. The teacher currently allows him to go off by himself to a different table. Should this be in the IEP? Is this not a good idea? She also allows him to walk around the classroom if he needs a break.

Walking around the classroom if he needs a break is ok. Maybe suggest some heavy work meaning carrying a stack of books, doing exercises, etc. This is where the OT should step in and suggest things that will work for him. I do not think that just letting him go to another table is an answer. This is just an easy way out for the teacher. If she can't attend to him because of dealing with the rest of the class, maybe suggest a 1 to 1 aide for him. Our son had one and it really did help a lot. Because of social deficits, it is imperative to try to get him to interact with the other kids and letting him wander around by himself isn't going to improve these social skills so make sure that this is addressed in a way that you feel comfortable with and in a way that will hopefully engage him in social situations.

You didn't mention anything about speech in any of your posts so I am just throwing this out there. Does he have any difficulty in the area? If so, make sure that he is also getting speech therapy from the school.

Ok, I have taken up to much of your time and I am sure that others have some great suggestions as well so I will stop "talking" now.

Hugs,

Ronda

Thank you! His speech...he has a big vocabulary and is a mature conversationalist, but can get distracted or caught up and begin to stutter-not bad though.
I was concerned about him being moved away from the group, too. It seems like it doees make things easier for him, but then he will never be able to adjust. My other concern is that sooner or later the kids are going to see that he is segregated and might make matters worse.

This part concerns me also:

Annual Goal #21 ______will catch using a mature form (or to a score ____) as measured by ___________ (evaluation tool, e.g.,
TGMD, etc.).
Objective #5 Catch and control the bail using hands only, with elbows bending to absorb force.
Objective #7 Move to catch a playground ball/tennis ball that is tossed___________ feet to the left or right.

My son doesn't do any of this and I thought that feel under OT. Does it? Is it something else?
This information is very helpful. I am just trying to navigate through everything that I'm dealing with. Sorry if it comes out sporatic.

Please don't apologize. We have all been there when our kids were diagnosed so we know how overwhelming it can all be and just how much info is out there. Different things work for different kids so you may have to try a bunch of things before you hit on something that works. There are also things out there that seem kind of silly but some people think that it is worth it to try. Use your best judgment with what you read and only try what you are comfortable with (not talking about school services here).

Yes this would fall under OT and/or PT. My son has done this with both his personal PT and through OT. I really think it depends on how accommodating the school is to his needs. Maybe changing the wording so it somehow relates to social skills (being able to play appropriately with his peers) you could work it in this way if they are unwilling. If he does stutter you might want to consider asking about speech therapy or for them to work on strategies to help him if he starts to do this.

If you ever just want to talk, feel free to pm me and I will forward along my phone number. I know that when Jacob was first diagnosed I had no one to talk to who understood or could give me guidance/support. It was a very lonely place because no one could truly understand what I was going through. Now that we have moved I have met and become good friends with another woman who also has a son on the spectrum who can relate to the things I am going through and problems Jacob is having and it has helped tremendously to have her to talk to!

As you think of things just post your questions and I will help where I can.

Ronda

Thank you! His speech...he has a big vocabulary and is a mature conversationalist, but can get distracted or caught up and begin to stutter-not bad though.
I was concerned about him being moved away from the group, too. It seems like it doees make things easier for him, but then he will never be able to adjust. My other concern is that sooner or later the kids are going to see that he is segregated and might make matters worse.

This part concerns me also:

TGMD, etc.).

My son doesn't do any of this and I thought that feel under OT. Does it? Is it something else?
This information is very helpful. I am just trying to navigate through everything that I'm dealing with. Sorry if it comes out sporatic.

My son is 5 and I went to them. Thanks for the information.
I too thought it was odd that they were saying he didn't need OT. Every report that was done, that I received from the school, mentioned how he held his pencil too. The OT in his/her report also mention ways to correct it and suggested he join a community group (ie t-ball) for hand-eye coordination.
I am going to re-read you post and copy ;). Thanks. I do know what an IEP is but wouldn't know what to ask for, etc.

I just had to jump in here. This is one thing that makes me laugh very hard. I have Asperger's, and as an adult still hold my pencil incorrectly. My first memories of school are of panicked teachers, for at least two years, trying to correct my pencil grip. My mom finally saw how much it frustrated me and said I could hold it however I darn well pleased.

My handwriting is neat. I graduated from a great university. The only problem it ever created was to create a weird callous. There are pencil protectors that even eliminate those!

My point being, schools focus on some things that just don't matter. All of your kids are lucky to have parents on their sides for the things that DO matter.

Also, my lack of tumbling prowess was treated as an urgent need on par with the inability to talk. I am proud to say that I have never tumbled, and do not feel that my life has been incomplete without it.

As a parent of two kids on the spectrum I found one of the best analogies to understanding Asperger's was provided to me by a family therapist who specialized in helping children with this diagnosis and their families. He likened the diagnosis to an analogy of clock speed in computers.

Back in the day before there were pentiums there were 286 and 386 computers. They did not process as quickly and could not do multitasking. For example if you wanted to word process you could not search the web at the same time. Faster pentium computers could run calculations so quickly that a multitude of tasks could be accomplished at once. In the Asperger's mind there is an issue of slower clock speed. This should not be construed to mean "less smart" rather it means in a world that presents multiple things to be decided upon or acted upon often times there is a breakdown of what can be processed due to the mind processing slower than unimparied individuals.

If we hold a conversation your unimpaired mind can listen to what I am saying, process my facial features for emotional rapport, analyze what I am saying and at the same time prepare to craft a response that is aligned emotionally with the expression upon my face. To an Asperger's mind this is rather over whelming, so it tends to rely on what it knows well which is often referred to as "old learning", Things that are predictable and easily understood are what compel an Asperver's persons interests often times. Thomas the Tank Engine with predictable plots and characters who respond in only limited ways for example are extremely popular with may Asperger's affected children.

You may likely find that your child's peers are not interested in the same things that your child is and as grade levels become more demanding an Asperger's affected child may find themselves to be quite isolated. Compounding this issue it is difficulut often for an Asperger's child to understand his/her emotions and deal with them, so depression can prove to be extremely dibilitating. Finding families and parents who are dealing with similar issues can be extremely helpful. The tendency to overlearn and becone experts in silos of knowledge can also be a help to an Asperger's child if you can help integrate them to be a resource ot other individuals. Finding past times or hobbies such as radio controlled cars or airplanes can help your child find common ground and fulfillment.

Lastly, bear in mind that Asperger's individuals are pervasive in our society and are extremely successful in their fields such as engineering and computer programming.

Please be careful not to adopt or advocate for a "laundry list" of goals and objectives to be part of your son's IEP. Work with the school to develop an IEP that best meets your son's individual needs. Beware of a cookie cutte4r program.

I just had to jump in here. This is one thing that makes me laugh very hard. I have Asperger's, and as an adult still hold my pencil incorrectly. My first memories of school are of panicked teachers, for at least two years, trying to correct my pencil grip. My mom finally saw how much it frustrated me and said I could hold it however I darn well pleased.

My handwriting is neat. I graduated from a great university. The only problem it ever created was to create a weird callous. There are pencil protectors that even eliminate those!

My point being, schools focus on some things that just don't matter. All of your kids are lucky to have parents on their sides for the things that DO matter.

Also, my lack of tumbling prowess was treated as an urgent need on par with the inability to talk. I am proud to say that I have never tumbled, and do not feel that my life has been incomplete without it.

My concern with his pencil grip is that it delays his processing his thoughts to paper and that it is just one frustration that can be dealt with.
And thank you!:thumbsup2

Please be careful not to adopt or advocate for a "laundry list" of goals and objectives to be part of your son's IEP. Work with the school to develop an IEP that best meets your son's individual needs. Beware of a cookie cutte4r program.

I hope that you were not referring to the goals and objectives I posted as I did say that she should read through them and see what applied to her child and what would work for him. I also said that she needs to educate herself as to what is out there and determine what would best work with her child. I only posted these goals as a starting point for her and wish that I had had someone to help me when my son was first diagnosed. There wasn't a lot out there at the time and thank goodness I had a great school at the time who was willing to do whatever it took to help my son become the successful person he is today. We moved a few years back and the new school is no where near as cooperative or willing to work on what is needed the most until it was suggested we go to due process for lack of services.

I am sorry if I offended you with some "cookie cutter" program and by no means meant that she should use every goal given, just the ones she felt fit with her child. I also did mention that every child is different and that different things work for different children. Please don't flame me for stating what worked for my child and only sharing with her as a starting point. I was only trying to share info that may be of help.

I do like the computer story that you mentioned and completely agree with it. I also agree that as the child gets older the differences in interests will become more apparent. My son is 12 and is still very innocent, has no interest in girls although all of his peers are, he has no interest in sports with the exception of Nascar, which we try to encourage so he may find someone with mutual interests, and he is still happy to play with his Thomas the Tank engine toys and matchbox cars. He is much happier when playing with children much younger than himself and has no friends to speak of because of these differences. Even when involved in boy scouts the kids noticed the differences with him and didn't make any efforts to get to know him. Depression is definitely an issue that may arise as the child gets older and becomes more aware of his surroundings. However as this is a new diagnosis and her child is very young I was only addressing current issues not things in the future as I know how overwhelming things are in the beginning. Just thought I would let her get her bearings before throwing all of the things to look for in the future out there.

Again, I apologize if I offended you in some way in offering up some possible goals and objectives for her to look at.

Ronda

My concern with his pencil grip is that it delays his processing his thoughts to paper and that it is just one frustration that can be dealt with.

As he gets older and the work becomes more demanding you can ask for a word processor for him, teachers notes, peer notes and other accommodations if the pencil grip is still a problem which can't be corrected and impairing his ability to keep up in class.

Ronda

Oh no! I can understand your concerns and did not want to invalidate them. I just wanted to point out that I had two years of intense focus on that grip, and it frustrated me more than the grip ever did. haha

Every kid is different. Hopefully that will help him! I suppose I would say to question everything, though, about everything. There will be a lot of times that what the educators will tell you is happening is not.

Not that there aren't good educators out there. Just on occasion it takes being inside the mind, and not observing it, to understand it.

As he gets older and the work becomes more demanding you can ask for a word processor for him, teachers notes, peer notes and other accommodations if the pencil grip is still a problem which can't be corrected and impairing his ability to keep up in class.

Ronda

Mini tape recorders are another good tool! Also, the truth is when left alone most kids outgrow being impaired by it at all before much time has passed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter