? About Cash Discount on Rooms...

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
Our wailist did not come through for VB. My DH said we could leave to go to FL a few days earlier than our scheduled arrival at OKW. Since MS is now closed I was wondering if I called and asked to get a room on a cash basis at VB would I get the 25% discount or is that just for a certain number of rooms?

I did a search at some website and found that there was availablity for the weekend I was inquiring about at VB.

Thanks...

It wouldn't hurt to ask about the DVC cash discount, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I called 7 months in advance and asked if there were any cash discounts available for any week in the entire Summer and was told 'No.' Net, they are very limited. There is a discount coupon (which I think is also in the 20-25% range) in the Official Guide....you might also ask about that, but I think those rooms are also limited....I called a few months ago asking about the 3rd weekend in August, and although they said there was availability at the list price, they indicated there were no discounted rooms available. You never know until you ask though! Good luck!

The member's discount is available only on the member inventory of rooms- if not reserved on points.

They will rarely make cash ressies (especially with the discount) very far in advance, since they are expecting the reservations on points.

At slow times, the cash discount may still be available.

Good Luck!

I'd love to know if you get a room, discount or not. We had 7/2 - 7/6 reserved since Dec, but had to cancel two weeks ago due to our sons medical condition. We just found out last week that his chemo/radiation won't start until 7/9 and I was calling MS 3 times a day all week, no availability.

I even called the resort directly (got the number from the member guidebook). When I called the resort, I got a recording that said for sleeping accommodations, call 1-800 blah blah blah. I called it and it was CRO (at least that's what they told me - they didn't answer the phone like they usually do when I call CRO). Anyway, the people at the 1-800 number said there was no availability paying cash either.

We've decided to go back to the World. Staying at POR the 3rd - 7th. But, I'm very anxious to hear if you find availability.

Doc,

What is the member inventory of rooms?? IF not reserved onpoints?? I'm not sure what this means!!!

We are scheduled to arrive at OKW on July 22 and now want to go down on Friday July 20. I don't want to use points for the weekend and wanted to try for a cash ressie. The website I found that stated VB had availablity quoted the studio at 179.00/night. My question is...do DVC members always get the 25% off or is it like the DC club with just a limited amount of rooms with the discount?

Thanks

We have a stay at BWV at the end of August. The last night (8/26) is on cash. I made the reservation at the beginning of May. I was told they would not release any rooms to the Members Discount until at least 60 days prior. I landed the discount of 25% on Monday (6/25). It is kind of like trying to get an AP rate on a regular resort room.

Thanks Disnydad for the quick reply. I am unfamiliar with the AP rate and have gotten DC rates in the past with making ressies very far in advance. Sounds like I may be able to get the 25% off rate if there is availablity! Am I correct in assuming this????

Thanks

Yep, you got it. Very limited availability. They only offer the discount if bookings are down.

That is not true. It may or may not be available with a member's cash discount if it is available at all.

You are missing something.

There are two inventories for rooms. One is cash inventory, the other is points(or member) inventory. As they sell the resort, they declare mor and more of the resort into points inventory. They always keep the amount declared into point inventory a little higher than the actual amount that has been sold. They need to do this because they only declare inventory into points inventory a few times a year.

If the resort is 75% sold out, they may have 80% of the available rooms declared as points inventory.

The resort on the nights you are looking for may actually have plenty of availability. They may have 80% of the resort filled with point paying customers and 10% of the resort filled with cash paying customers. This would mean that all of the points inventory is gone and all that is left is cash inventory.

The only inventory available with a member's cash discount is the points inventory.

Now that cash inventory room is vasy available, but is doesn't have any discount available.

Got it?

Ok Rich. What does it mean if they tell me I can not have that last night on points, yet they will let me have it for cash? I have enough points in my account, but they tell me there are no rooms avail on points. Inquiring minds (mind) want to know.

That is very simple. It is also the reason that there would be no member's discount rooms available for cash.

All the points inventory is reserved and all that is left is cash inventory.

This may also help in determining when a Member Discount is available....

Only MS can book a room for cash with a member discount. They only work with the rooms that are available as "owned" by DVC members.

CRO books all remaining rooms and cannot offer a member discount nor book rooms for points. They have all the non-DVC rooms plus any rooms MS has released to the general public. You might be able to get a Disney Club, AP or other discount when you book through CRO.

Rooms are also held for the promotional tours of Vero and HHI (the ones advertised on the DVC web site.) I'm not sure how these become available to DVC members (if at all). I found this frustrating a few years back when I couldn't book on points or through CRO but did get a room based on a promotional coupon I received due to a previous full price cash stay.

I'd keep calling CRO and if you have an AP you could try calling the AP line as well. Something might open up.

I'm not sure what web site is showing availability. I know that sometimes Expedia shows Disney resorts available but when you actually try to confirm the reservation new messages come up showing it is no longer available.

Good luck.

At sold out resorts, like OKW and BWV, the member's inventory (96- 98% of the rooms) should theoretically be reserved using points. This is the inventory cash discount rooms will come from, but DVC's first responsibility is to offer those nights using points only.

As members use points at other locations- Cruise, other WDW resorts, etc.- member point inventory is turned over to CRO for cash inventory.

At 60 days before any given date, any unreserved point reservations are also turned over to CRO- this is when the member cash discount will also be available.

Some dates, which historically have not sold out, may be offered with the member discount earlier than 60 days. It all depends on the date and the reservation expectations.

At times, CRO may offer some reservations at even a greater discount than 25%, using the AP discount program. You should always check that also.

Good Luck!

Points here, points there, member inventory, CRO, MS, AP, DC, DVC............UUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I guess I will just call MS in the morning and check availablity and inquire about the 25 % discount. Then maybe I will call CRO and inquire about the DC discount. I don't have an AP card (I really don't know anything about it either) so that is out.

I just want to get away!!!!!!

Thanks Doc, Pam, Rich and DisnyDad for all your help! (I think) LOL!!

The bottom line is that any member cash discounts are on an as available basis, once it is unlikely those rooms will be reserved on points.

The discussion about which inventory the rooms may come from doesn't really matter- as the only response which would affect you is the one from MS when you call.

Good Luck!

I'll give the member inventory explanation another shot...maybe I'll just confuse you further.

(Just using numbers for example.)

Let's say there are 100 rooms at Vero. 75 of them have been purchased by DVC members (member inventory). 25 still belong DVD and are not yet sold to members.

73 of the 75 member rooms for your dates have been booked by members using points. 2 rooms have not been booked. 60 days out, MS may decide to let a member pay cash for either of these two rooms.

25 of the rooms are not available for member use with points or with a member discount. 5 of these rooms have been reserved by people coming to take the DVC tour. 5 are available for Disney Club discount. The other 15 rooms had been held for a wedding taking place at Vero. 30 days out, 5 wedding guests cancel. These 5 rooms are now being offered with some type of discount, manager special, Disney Club, AP, etc.

When you call MS they tell you only 2 room are available for either points or a 25% discount.

When you call CRO they tell you they have 10 rooms available with some type of discount.

Doc, I like your bottom line explanation and Pam, a big fat thank you for putting it in simple terms for me to understand. I would have just taken MS or CRO for what they said and that would have been that but I like it now that I understand the difference of discounts.

Aw heck, now I'm just as confused. Anyone, Doc, Rich, Pam. How come when I called and asked to put that last night of my stay on points MS said no, but said they could give me a Members Discount?:confused: I've got the points in my account (both by my records and MS I've 23 points and the room is 13.). Right now I've got two nights on points and one night on a Members Discount.

Rosemary I know how frustrating it is when there is the possibility that there is a room out there but we just can't figure out how to get it! I guess all you can do is keep trying. Good luck. I hope something opens up for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter