Accessable Bathrooms

Sue- I hope you didn't think I was being "unfriendly" but the message I sent. I had read a prior post with words I found to be offensive and aggressive which is what I was referring to. I didn't use this person's name or even refer to the specific post so as not to offend anyone in particular, but it bothers me to see a post such as this on these boards. If we are to ever understand other's points of view then I feel it must be done with kindness and compassion. Disagreements are inevitable. ---Kathy

I notice that the person who made the agressive post did not come back and appologise either.

It is too bad when one disabled person is attacking another on this of all boards.

Oh, honestly, what's the big deal? If an able-bodied person uses the handicapped stall in a restroom, so what? Its not like they're in there forever. They're not denying a handicapped person the use of the stall, just perhaps a longer wait. Unless your disability is something which causes an inability to wait 5 minutes (in which case may I suggest an Attends?), I don't see the harm done. Have you ever tried changing a baby in a regular stall? Its all but impossible. Many disabled access stalls have diaper changing tables in them because they have the room for it. And I took my toddlers in the disabled stall with me rather than allow them to wander around and maybe leave the restroom while unattended. If a disabled person is already in the stall, I wait for them to come out. If a disabled person comes in after I'm already in the stall, well, I guess they just have to wait their turn (as I probably waited my turn). Being disabled doesn't mean never having to wait your turn. Oh, BTW, I happen to be disabled myself. I don't consider the disabled access stall to be my own private stall. That's why its called a public restroom. Perhaps the OP has never tried to grapple with an infant or active toddler while in a public restroom? :crazy: I'll do whatever's necessary to keep my children safe.:sunny: :sunny:

Oh, and for those who's disabilities make them unable to wait to go, well, what if the handicapped stall was occupied by another handicapped person? Perhaps if a person knows they "can't hold it", disabled or not, they should plan to get to the restroom before they're in a crisis. Its like I said, its a public restroom, not anyone's private, reserved "seat'. Learn to take some responsibility for oneself, such as getting to the restroom in time, is a "life skill", for disabled and non-disabled alike. You can't just assume you have the right to "yank" the occupant out of the stall because your planning wasn't what it should be. Oh, try to "yank" me out of the stall and you'll get womped with my cane!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Using a accessable does allow me to allow to take responsibility for myself. If a sccesable stall wasn't there I'd have to have someone help me do things I could accomplish myself. I can remember when accessable bathooms weren't required in public buildings, it's now 2004 how long should disabled people wait before being fully included in society?

Disabled people are included in society--that means waiting one's turn. That's the way it is in "society". I'm disabled, too, and I wait my turn.

Using that logic why can't the nondisabled person wait for us to finish as well before using the stall? I use crutches so it generally doesn't take too long but when I was recovering from surgery it took me a while to transfer from a wheelchair to the toilet.

To KathyK2

Huh?:confused: Last I looked, non-disabled people wait, too. Unless they just push past someone ahead of them in line (disabled or not), and that's certainly not acceptable. Sorry, I guess I just don't understand your last post.:confused:

Originally posted by vhoffman
Perhaps if a person knows they "can't hold it", disabled or not, they should plan to get to the restroom before they're in a crisis.

Very often, the condition that puts someone into a wheelchair affects bladder control as well. Even with the drug I take to improve my bladder control, I still have very little time betwee that first urge to use a bathroom and having to go RIGHT NOW. Often, by the time I have ridden over to the nearest bathroom I no longer have much time left. For many disabled people it is not always possible plan in advance to go to the bathroom.

I know what the general rule is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Andrew

To Andrew Bichard,

I certainly do understand your situation and feel sympathatic towards you and others in your situation. I don't mean to sound callous. However, there just isn't a guarantee for anyone, disabled or not, that a stall will be free when needed. The handicapped stalls could be occupied by another handicapped person. I guess in that case all you can do is politely ask to go to the head of whatever line, just explain that you're having an emergency, or are sick, in most cases people will let you through. Of course, some won't, and that does present a problem. However, it seems some of the posters here feel no one should be in that stall when they need it, and reality just doesn't work that way. Good luck to you. Have you considered discussing your bladder control with your dr or therapist? Perhaps they have some suggestions to help during long trips, or days out at parks, etc. Glad to see you don't let the disability stop you from enjoying life!
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Originally posted by vhoffman
Have you considered discussing your bladder control with your dr or therapist?

That's why my doctor prescribes pills for me. They ease the problem somewhat, but don't cure it. (The nine hour flight from London is fun by the way).

According to my doctor, my problem is very common indeed for wheelchair users. It is true that a handicap stall might be used by another wheelchair user, but if handicap stalls were exclusive to the disabled, I could find an empty stall nine times out of ten, instead of one time in ten. I have no objection to handicap stalls being used if all other stalls are being used, but I often find a row of nine empty regular stalls, with the single handicap stall occupied by someone who sits there for 20 minutes reading a newspaper!

This is one area where our British system is better than yours in the USA. Over here, many (but not all) disabled bathrooms are kept locked with a special key that is issued to all disabled persons. Visitors can ask the janitor/cleaning staff to let them in.

Andrew

Andrew,

Interesting system you have in England. If I were to visit briefly, say as a tourist, is there some way I could get a special key? It might be inconvenient to track down a janitor. Its good to know things like this in advance. Thanks!:wave2:

Just reading this thread and the last post I find interesting. What happens if you have a problem with your control and you can't find the janitor?

Who goes looking for him? I can't see how this is better for a person that just can't wait.

The law in this country does not state a non-handicaped person can't use the accessable stall, just the stall's have to be available for use by the disabled.

Not being disabled, have a lot of sympathy for disabled people and I help as much as I can. But if that stall is empty and there are no disabled people around and I have to go, I will go.

My 2 cents worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter