Advanced sign-ups/Registrations - First time on Disney Cruise

Cleocatra

Earning My Ears
We just booked a cruise on the Wish for November 2024. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about what things I need to be aware of to sign-up for or register in advance and the disney cruise website doesn't seem very helpful. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on signing up for something or registering before it's too late. I'm also curious what my expectations should be as a first time cruiser on Disney since we will have the last opportunity to sign up for things. I am aware that we can't sign up for the excursions until 75 days prior. What is the online check-in for? Does that allow you to sign up for things I need to be aware of? I've been searching to boards and seeing things about signing up for cabanas at Castaway Cay. Do I need to sign my kids (12 years old) up in case they want to go to the kids clubs? Do many 12 year olds like the kids clubs? What time frame are first time cruisers usually given to board the ship? Is it worth it to get magic bands? Should I wait to get the "special ones" that are only offered for cruises? Please drop all your tips and tricks on me or point me to helpful websites/blogs. Thanks so much!

Yes, you will miss some opportunities as a first time cruiser, but there will likely be activities you want available.

On line registration is the sometimes frustrating process of uploading your travel documents like passports, providing DCL payment info, uploading a photo for each traveller that will be used to identify you when boarding, and most importantly…getting your Port Arrival Time. This will be the time you will be allowed at the port and will control, to a certain extent, how soon you board and start your vacation.

I recommend having scans of all passports and photos with a neutral background ready on multiple devices, phone, tablet, and PC. Disney IT can be glitchy and having the documents ready several places can save you time and sanity.

Insider tip, when asked for payment options saying you plan to use cash will often speed the process. You can go back later, after you get that all important Port Arrival Time, and add a credit card.

Good luck!

I'm also curious what my expectations should be as a first time cruiser on Disney since we will have the last opportunity to sign up for things. I am aware that we can't sign up for the excursions until 75 days prior.
Since you're on a 3 or 4-day cruise, I assume, given that it's the Wish, there are a lot of activities that you can do that do not require signing up for anything or any additional cost. The only two ports are Nassau and Castaway Cay. If you've never been to Nassau, you might want to look into excursions, but I don't imagine they'd be sold out since a lot of people stay on board at this port; you might also just want to get off and either do your own thing or wander around the new port area or into the town or find a way to a beach if that's your thing.

Castaway Cay, there are a lot of things you can book, but a lot don't really require signing up in advance - you can do a lot of them on the day you get there (bicycles, snorkelling, etc.) or just go to the beach or swim or walk around the island through the pathways or shop. And eat. You can book excursions like parasailing (did that once; had it cancelled three times due to wind), kayaking and walking tour (did that twice and really enjoyed it) or other excursions but you can enjoy Castaway Cay without spending a penny.

I always recommend that people not do Palo for their first cruise. Yes, it's nice (although I'm not that thrilled with the changes they made to Palo on the Wish), but then you potentially miss one of your dining rotations, and you really need to experience them all. We went to Palo on our first cruise (Wonder) and missed Triton's. We've never sailed the Wonder since, and I do regret missing that restaurant a little, just to experience it.
Make sure to download the Navigator app as it will tell you all about what's going on during the day. There's trivia, live musicians in some places, different crafts, character meetings, activities in the Hero Zone, movies, and the live theatre show every evening, etc. Not as much going on as on the longer cruises, but we still never seem to have time to do it all if we also want to experience the adults-only area, swim, Aqua Mouse, beignets in the Bayou, shopping on board, pirate night/fireworks, time in other lounges, enjoy just relaxing time sitting on deck or our verandah.

I've been searching to boards and seeing things about signing up for cabanas at Castaway Cay.
You'll not likely get any chance at these. Concierge guests get first crack at them and there are so many concierge guests that not even all that want them get them.

Is it worth it to get magic bands?
I don't think so - you can only use them to open your room and charge to your room. You still need a key to the world card to get on and off the ship so I don't see how it makes it any easier. If you already have Magic Band + you might as well bring it and connect it but I don't yet see the utility of buying one specifically for the cruise.

What time frame are first time cruisers usually given to board the ship?
As a PP mentioned, you'll pick a PAT (port arrival time) once you've done the check-in at 30 days. They can restrict you from entering the terminal until your PAT and certainly did do that through the worst part of covid and can if there are too many people (there are fire codes that they have to maintain that restrict the total number of people in the terminal at any one time) but it seems to be more relaxed now. Your PAT will be tied to a boarding group number and when that number is called, you can board the ship. So the later your PAT, the higher your boarding group number. In general, open boarding (when any boarding group can board) is before 1 pm, depending on how busy the ship is and how early they start. So even if you have a PAT of after 1 pm, you'll likely get into the terminal before 12:30 pm and on the ship shortly after. Be aware, though, that rooms are not ready until about 2 pm so you have to carry your carry on bags around until then which I find to be a pain. If you get to the terminal earlier than your PAT and are let in, you'll have to sit around the terminal until your boarding group is called or open boarding is called.

The main dining room that is open for a sit-down lunch is usually open until at least 1:30 I think, the buffet until a bit later and there are the pool deck places for food as well. So you don't need to rush to get on board to eat.

I think Castaway Cay is wonderful without the expense of a cabana. Plus as other posters have said those are most always taken but Concierge but there is so much to do on the island you will have a great time.

PAT- If you stay at a Disney Resort before the cruise they set your PAT. We were on the Wish in May and originally had private transfers and moved to Disney Transfers and Disney had us at the ship almost 2 hours before our original PAT.

For the kids clubs by teen has always loved them. My teen moved to edge at 10 when they let them try it out and never went back to the club. They have made friends on each ship and we even met up with one of the kids when were in FL this summer.

It can seem very overwhelming but the boards here have so much great information and no matter what happens you will have a great time. Just being on the ship is an incredible experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter