Adventures by Disney or another tour outfit (Trafalgar/ Collette)

Has anyone been on a Rick Steves family tour? He has a 14 day European family tour that seems pretty diverse. You start in Rome and end in Paris. I started out all gung ho for ABD but now I'm starting to question myself.

I have not been on one of his tours, but being from the area where he resides, I know a little about his programs. I am also a fan of his guidebooks. His philosophy is to see Europe through the "Back Door". He wants his guests/readers to see the large sights and the small sights. He also wants his guests/readers to get down and dirty with the locals.

I have not been on my ABD tour yet, but by what I have read, they are all about the Disney experience. You are pampered. You have a lot of fun and go on a lot of adventures.

I guess you should only question yourself if you want to experience your vacation in a more down to earth way. I am sure you will enjoy either one.

Hope that helps a little.

whayes.... You make some really good points about 'down and dirty' versus the ABD tour approach. I, too, am a big fan of Rick Steves' books, etc.

I think both kinds of vacation approaches are valid, but there a few factors one must weigh. Just one example - if you have young(er) kids traveling with you, the ABD approach can make sense insofar as everything is taken care of for you and the tour is geared to family fun. In that scenario, the 'down and dirty' approach *can* be stressful and exhausting.

When my family (with kids 14 and 11) did Knights&Lights last Summer, we elected to do a sort of hybrid. We spent 5 days roaming Southern England in a rented car prior to hooking up with ABD. While those 5 days were a heck of a lot of fun, the planning and execution to keep things interesting and 'easy' with the kids in tow took a lot of effort sometimes. My kids are great travelers, but we tend not to leave much to chance when traveling to someplace we've never been. Examples: we made sure we had B&B's booked so we never had to worry about where we were staying and we had a pretty good itinerary mapped out. Had we been without the kids, we certainly would have spent more time winging it, perhaps been more aggressive with how far afield we'd venture, etc.

When we dropped off the car and the ABD folks took over, there was a certain sense of relief (likely not the right word) that we were going to enter a different phase of our vacation where we didn't have to worry so much about logistics, etc.

Just one perspective :)

I "down and dirtied" it with a friend on my first trip abroad. We spent two weeks in the UK staying at Youth Hostels, dragging our backpacks through train stations and tube stations; up hills and back down them again. I was 23, my friend was 24 and we were in very good shape. I had been planning the trip for over three years, so I knew exactly how to get us where we wanted to go. We saw a lot of sights and met a lot of people. We had a blast.

We also swore then and there that we would never, EVER do that again. There can be a lot of stress going through those backdoors. I've been to europe four more times since then, all on tours. You still have plenty of chances to see the small stuff and hobnob with the locals. You also have a nice place to sleep and someone to fall back on when your limited Italian runs out! "Due cappucchino, per favore" only gets you so far! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter