Advice on 1st Trip to DL from a WDW veteran.

MattIL

Mouseketeer
My family has been to WDW numerous times. However we have never been to DL. We will be in Southern California at the start of August and are looking at spending 3 full days at the DL Resort. My will be four by the time of the trip and is about 42 inches in height. I'm looking for advice on the following questions.

1) How much time should we plan on spending at California Adventure? Which attractions in DCA are the best and should not be missed?

2) Which attractioins should not be missed in Disneyland? My son loves rollercoasters and will be riding Big Thunder Mountain for the 1st time at WDW. Can I expect him to be able to handle Space Mountain (I think their height restriction is 40 inches in DL) or is it to scarry and why?

3) Of the three Disney Resorts, which one is best for a young child and why?

Thanks for the advice. We are really excited to be visting both parks in the same year.

You will have SO much fun!

I usually plan on a day at DCA...but I split it up and dont do an entire solid day there. We usually pop over to DCA when DL gets too crowded or there is a parade or show we want to see.

1) It would be fun to see Soarin' and TOT in both parks in the same year! They are both cool enough to not be missed even if they similar or the same as the ones in WDW. The new Monsters Ride is unique to DCA and with a 4 year old you will want to hit that. The Aladin Show is wonderful and you should try to see that if at all possible. The Animation Building is fun too...but I am not sure how similar to the one in WDW. Bugs Life area might be fun for your 4 year old, then again if he is coaster fan...maybe not. :teeth: Paradise Pier is cool, the Sun Wheel is really great and the rest are fun to hit if you are in the mood and they appeal. California Screaming is one of my favorites, but I think it is a taller height requirment. Grizzly River Run is fun if its a hot day and you plan to get soaked. And the Redwood Challenge is JUST the thing for a little boy to run off some steam! The shows you can skip...Muppets is exactly the same and so is Tough to Be a Bug.

2) I think all the rides are not to be missed at DL! For sure the unique ones, Matterhorn, Autopia (which your 4 year old will adore!), Alice, Mr. Toad, Storybook Canal Boats, etc, etc. In 3 days you should be able to see most everything though.

3) I have said on other posts that I am partial to the DLH. The GCH is closer which is good with a 4 year old. But the DLH has more nostalgia and more of "Disney" feel of it to me. The walk to and from the parks is through DTD and so it is fun and gets you excited as you walk along. If you dont want to walk all the way, then you can take the monorail, which will drop you off INSIDE the park in Tomorrowland! How cool is that?

We love the DLH because of the disney magic . . . My kids love the pools. . and the fact they can do the mini jungle boats . .

we generally don't spend a lot of time at DCA, we do the aladdin show, soarin overcali, the river raft, california screamin and then we are done and hop back over the dl side.

A 4 year olds paradise - Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at DCA. Our kids still love it over there - it's a great place to let the kids run off steam and it's more relaxing for adults. They also have a great Brother Bear show there now. The whole area is unique to CA - don't miss it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter