Air Canada to Asia Experiences?

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
Not exactly Disney related, but I figured this would be the best board to ask about Air Canada and flying to Asia. I live near Detroit and am planning a trip to Japan later this year. The cheapest flights from DTW to Tokyo are usually through Air Canada with a connection in Toronto or Montreal. Delta offers a nonstop flight to Tokyo, but it can be $500 to $1000 more per person in economy. Normally I would love to save that money, but I've heard some pretty bad horror stories about Air Canada's customer service and leaving people stranded at the airport with no way home.

Are Air Canada's operations and customer service that bad?

Of these options, what would you do?
  1. Fly Air Canada from Detroit to Tokyo with a layover in Toronto
  2. Fly Delta from Detroit to Tokyo, nonstop, for $500 more than Air Canada
  3. Drive or train to Toronto, Fly Air Canada nonstop to Tokyo, for around the same price as flying from Detroit
Thank you!

Last edited:
I flew to Tokyo last April with no issues. (Via Vancouver)

I really can’t figure out how the flights from the US are more 🤣 I paid less than my friends that flew from SFO direct.

We flew Toronto to Tokyo non-stop last March on air Canada with no issues. i Don’t like connecting flights just in case something goes wrong where you miss the connection. I’d do non stop if you can. Are you flying into Narita or Haneda?
you could look into Robert Q as well from Detroit to Toronto.

AC is one of the best airlines in the world imo,and part of the Star Alliance.I've not heard of these horror stories of abandonment with AC.

We flew Toronto to Tokyo non-stop last March on air Canada with no issues. i Don’t like connecting flights just in case something goes wrong where you miss the connection. I’d do non stop if you can. Are you flying into Narita or Haneda?
Delta goes to Haneda, while I think Air Canada has both options. Haneda is more convenient, but I could make either work.

The worse thing about flying Air Canada to Asia was every announcement was in four languages, and they pause whatever movie you’re watching for all four.

We've only flown AC a couple of times because we aren't near a hub, so it's generally not the best or cheapest option, but the couple of flights we've had connecting through Toronto have been no issues.

Delta goes to Haneda, while I think Air Canada has both options. Haneda is more convenient, but I could make either work.
Air Canada does have both options. Haneda is closer to Tokyo so do that if you can.

The worse thing about flying Air Canada to Asia was every announcement was in four languages, and they pause whatever movie you’re watching for all four.
We never noticed that on our flights But may not have been paying much attention either.

What four languages? Usually, it is English, French, and (if applicable) the main language of the destination country (if not English or French), but I don't think I've been on a flight with four languages). Honestly, I find it surprising (not as in bad, just that I'm always waiting for more after the English version and then remember) when I'm on flights from US-based airlines and I don't have announcements in multiple languages (I'm mainly flying internationally on Europe- or Middle East-based airlines so always have at least two languages). Even Kenyan does English and Swahili.

We never noticed that on our flights But may not have been paying much attention either.
I noticed it because I was watching a movie, and it would pause for the announcement, then resume, then pause, then resume, then pause, then resume, then pause . . . Several times during the movie.

What four languages?
I’m not sure what the last two were. Since we were flying to Hing Kong, I guessed Cantonese and Mandarin but then when we flew back from Narita, I assume one was Japanese and the other was Chinese.

What four languages? Usually, it is English, French, and (if applicable) the main language of the destination country (if not English or French), but I don't think I've been on a flight with four languages). Honestly, I find it surprising (not as in bad, just that I'm always waiting for more after the English version and then remember) when I'm on flights from US-based airlines and I don't have announcements in multiple languages (I'm mainly flying internationally on Europe- or Middle East-based airlines so always have at least two languages). Even Kenyan does English and Swahili.

Never thought about the lack of Spanish on American carriers. Even when I flew to San Juan.

Not flying to Asia but I have flights booked to/from Quebec City with Air Canada for this summer and my flights have been changed 3 times now. They don't look remotely the same as they did when I originally booked them. The second time they were changed, the airport that I planned on departing/arriving from changed to an airport not even remotely close to me.

I've heard the horror stories too but I booked Air Canada since United was more than double the price.

Just an update, I ended up transferring Amex points to Delta and booking the direct flight, since it was the same amount of miles as any connections or if I had transferred them to Air Canada. But I'm still happy for the tips, since they are still consistently the cheapest option to other places in Asia.

Not flying to Asia but I have flights booked to/from Quebec City with Air Canada for this summer and my flights have been changed 3 times now. They don't look remotely the same as they did when I originally booked them. The second time they were changed, the airport that I planned on departing/arriving from changed to an airport not even remotely close to me.

I've heard the horror stories too but I booked Air Canada since United was more than double the price.

With Air Canada they are pretty generous with allowing changes after a schedule change unless you have acknowledged the change. Air schedules aren't usually firm until 3-5 months out. Especially with a destination that sees massive seasonal changes in demand.

Though I am curious about your flights. AC flies to Quebec City from Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal only.

With Air Canada they are pretty generous with allowing changes after a schedule change unless you have acknowledged the change. Air schedules aren't usually firm until 3-5 months out. Especially with a destination that sees massive seasonal changes in demand.

Though I am curious about your flights. AC flies to Quebec City from Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal only.
I am flying from my home airport to Toronto and then QC. On the way back it's QC to Toronto and then back to my home airport.

All 4 flights have been changed in some way.

I am flying from my home airport to Toronto and then QC. On the way back it's QC to Toronto and then back to my home airport.

All 4 flights have been changed in some way.

Just noticed you are Baltimore. One of the notorious black holes of airport issues and be careful how you book. I am guessing you booked from BWI but AC is pulling out and shifting that capacity Dulles and National.

Just noticed you are Baltimore. One of the notorious black holes of airport issues and be careful how you book. I am guessing you booked from BWI but AC is pulling out and shifting that capacity Dulles and National.
Yup that's what happened lol I was rescheduled to depart/arrive at an airport that is hours away from me but luckily I was able to change to IAD.

I know any airline can make changes but for 3 days in a row Air Canada has changed my flights. Just thought it was odd.

Yup that's what happened lol I was rescheduled to depart/arrive at an airport that is hours away from me but luckily I was able to change to IAD.

I know any airline can make changes but for 3 days in a row Air Canada has changed my flights. Just thought it was odd.

I know someone that booked a connecting 'through Washington' flying into BWI, out of Dulles. They didn't know they had to change airports until they got into BWI.

Like I said, Air Canada is one of the most flexible airlines I know of for allowing unconditional modifications if they change the schedule. Legally here it has to be like 3 hours or more. Airport change is no questions asked free modification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter