Air canada vs westjet experiences

mom of 3 blondes

Mouseketeer
Hi there. For the previous 3 trips, we have flown west jet from Thunder Bay to Orlando, With a small layover in Toronto. Westjet is so much more expensive right now than air Canada. Was wondering if anyone had any advise for me? Is there really any difference, going through customs in Toronto, and difference with Mickey express? Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks.

I've flown Air Canada out of Toronto, US Customs was very efficient. when we hit the back of the line
it took about 15min to get through. It's a AC Rouge flight no frills, seats were fine, I'm 6 foot and the legroom
was ok.
Disney's Magical Express, we just walked from landing gate to DME area. On a bus in about 20 min, at our resort in about an hour or so,there no need to grab our bags, they where in our room when we got back from the park. :cool1:

Airport, customs, luggage, DME experience is independent of airline. If you're still flying through Pearson, the process will be exactly the same. It's only different if you're going through an airport in Canada that doesn't have customs there. We prefer Westjet for their customer service and generally friendlier demeanour but we have a lot of Aeroplan points so are stuck using AC for the near future (and have had discounts that they've given us recently due to screw-ups on other non-Orlando flights so we've had to use them). It's a short flight so the shorter leg room on Rouge is do-able although it seems a bit better than when we first flew on them a few years ago and DH couldn't put his legs forward due to so little legroom. I would pick whichever airline has the best price and times; nothing else will be different.

I really haven't had an issue with either airline. Rouge definitely has less pitch, so that kind of sucks, but aside from that the flights are fine. I hope that T3 is done their renovations as the US area has felt cramped for quite a while.

Coming back to Toronto, Terminal 1 (Air Canada) bags seem to take a long time to come out. Terminal 3 (WestJet) seems to be more efficient all around.

Westjet announced a sale today as a "phew, we avoided a strike" incentive. I just did a quick google flights search from YQT to MCO in July, and Westjet was more than $100 cheaper than AC. Of course YMMV, as specific dates will make all the difference. Still, might be worth a look.

In my experience, AC had the smaller planes a HUGE distance from the larger ones (I'm assuming Thunder Bay will be a smaller plane to TO--I may be wrong), so the last time I made a connection in Toronto it was miserable. But I really, really hate YYZ and will do anything I can to avoid it. Probably even harder for you than it is for me flying from Halifax. I had surprisingly good service on AC on a transatlantic flight lsat year, but otherwise have found Westjet to be a much nicer experience.

Either way, it'll be fine in the long run, because you're GOING ON VACATION! YAY! :)

I generally just pick the airline that is cheaper. That being said, if prices are similar I will always pick Air Canada because I much prefer to fly out of Terminal One over Terminal Three. I hate T3.

We normally fly WJ because they fly direct from Halifax year 'round, that and our WJ Mastercard makes choosing WJ easy BUT I'll take any airline that has a reasonable fare whether it is AC or WJ. I've never had a bad experience with either.

Hi there. For the previous 3 trips, we have flown west jet from Thunder Bay to Orlando, With a small layover in Toronto. Westjet is so much more expensive right now than air Canada. Was wondering if anyone had any advise for me? Is there really any difference, going through customs in Toronto, and difference with Mickey express? Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks.

Hey Neighbour!!!!

I am also from Thunder Bay!

We have flown several times from YQT through Toronto to Orlando!

I love flying WestJet! The connection time in Toronto is the perfect amount of time.

Have never flown AC to Disney but we are considering it for our trip this December because the price is so much better.

I don’t believe there would be any difference in using Magical express.

The only turn off I can see at the moment is that the best priced AC flight has a departure of 7am which means the DME pickup would be 3am!

I am currently stalking flights like I was playing the stock market.

It’s a gamble for sure!

I have found that prices are their lowest on Tuesday afternoons.

What are your dates?

Kim (aka Northern Disney Girl)

Last edited:
I choose WestJet as often as I can. They treat us so well every trip, and always take extra time to talk to the kids about their trip on the way home. They love it. I paid extra this time around for direct flights because I detest flying, but otherwise the price difference from where else I looked weren't enough to make me switch. Plus, I'm always hoping to get get one of the Disney magic planes, whatever they are called. lol

@Northern Disney Girl We are flying a red eye West Jet from Vancouver with layover in Toronto. I think we have an hour and a half between do you know if we need to pick up our luggage and re check it when we layover?

@Northern Disney Girl We are flying a red eye West Jet from Vancouver with layover in Toronto. I think we have an hour and a half between do you know if we need to pick up our luggage and re check it when we layover?

Going down to the States your checked baggage should be processed through the automated system. You will be shown a picture of your bags and asked to confirm they are yours. There is an entire process, but it is pretty easy to follow.

If you clear Canada Customs in Toronto on the way back you will collect your bags in the customs hall and then recheck them at a designated point -- you dont go through the entire checkin process again.

Pearson has good info for those connecting: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

SW

I am not up to speed on WestJet current baggage handling process.

I don’t usually travel with checked bags.

Sorry!

I would recommend checking the website for their current baggage handling process.

I always go by which is cheaper. My next trip I'm using Areoplan miles so AC Rouge on the way down and using American Airlines on the way home. The American Airline return ticket is cheaper than the taxes I paid for the "free" AC ticket. Using up the Areoplan miles since the program is changing this month and according to the Globe and Mail, the points will be devalued.

Usually fly with AC because of airmiles availability from Moncton. In addition, AC has much more flights available to choose from. WestJet has far fewer flights to choose from when using airmiles. However, if everything was equal I'd choose WJ for the good customer service we received on prior flights

We flew the same flight from Vancouver back in February. We didn't have to pick up our baggage, but it was tight going through security & customs! Definitely don't take your time. By the time we got to the gate they were boarding the plane. We left YVR at 10:30pm I believe and arrived in YYZ just before 6:00AM and it was busy!

We flew the same flight from Vancouver back in February. We didn't have to pick up our baggage, but it was tight going through security & customs! Definitely don't take your time. By the time we got to the gate they were boarding the plane. We left YVR at 10:30pm I believe and arrived in YYZ just before 6:00AM and it was busy!

At least I don't have to pick up the luggage, but I am worried about the connection... guess worst case is I could miss that flight and be late for disney!!! lol On the way home I don't mind but going there I will be the one sobbing in the corner..

At least I don't have to pick up the luggage, but I am worried about the connection... guess worst case is I could miss that flight and be late for disney!!! lol On the way home I don't mind but going there I will be the one sobbing in the corner..

We had two parties do the same flight segment on two different days heading to Orlando and neither of us were left behind! Just didn't leave much time for bathroom/snacks for our connection. If you can swing it next time, the direct flight back is awesome (apart from leaving Orlando at the crack of dawn). It's a shame that the only direct to Orlando is a red-eye as well. I was not a fan of connecting through Toronto.

I always go by which is cheaper. My next trip I'm using Areoplan miles so AC Rouge on the way down and using American Airlines on the way home. The American Airline return ticket is cheaper than the taxes I paid for the "free" AC ticket. Using up the Areoplan miles since the program is changing this month and according to the Globe and Mail, the points will be devalued.

Hi. Just an FYI but taxes returning from the U.S. are always less than the taxes to the U.S. And also, the Aeroplan program will be changing when Air Canada drops them in 2020. That is when the points will most likely be devalued.

Hi. Just an FYI but taxes returning from the U.S. are always less than the taxes to the U.S. And also, the Aeroplan program will be changing when Air Canada drops them in 2020. That is when the points will most likely be devalued.
This is why I usually fly with US airlines out of the States. My last points trip to Orlando with United was $11 US. Return. It's really crazy when you think about it. Thanks for the correction on when the points devalue. For some reason the article I read made it seem like to be on the watch for it this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter