Air Passenger Regulations - Claiming compensation - Any experiences?

ElCray

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just checking in to see if anyone has any experience with getting compensated under the Air Passenger Regulations for long flight delay, delayed baggage, etc., and share our own story.

On the baggage front, our bags did not follow us from Toronto to Orlando after our flight was delayed. The Air Canada baggage office was closed even though it was the middle of the day, with a note to go to ticketing upstairs. We did that and someone eventually came down and took our info. But I had a bad feeling about it since I never got an email or a reference number. So that evening I spent 3 hours on hold with Air Canada Baggage. When I finally got through the guy confirmed there was no report in the system and took my info. He told me to buy what I needed and submit receipts for the claim. We got the bag back 48 hours later. I did the claim and very quickly got $406 CAD deposited into my account, along with an apology from the airline for my experience at the airport and a 20% off coupon code.

On the long delay front, our flight to Toronto was late arriving. The pilot said it was taking a long time to load baggage and that's why we departed late. I never got an email explaining the reason for the delay. We missed our 8:30 pm flight to Orlando and were automatically rebooked for the next morning. We were waiting in line for hotel and meal vouchers and the Air Canada representative said to leave because there were none. She told us to book a hotel under $300 and submit a claim for that and meals with our receipts.

We got to the airport for our flight to MCO and this time there was another long delay because the "first officer was stuck in traffic" according to the pilot. We ended up arriving at MCO 11 hours after we were scheduled to.

I recognize this is nothing compared to what many travellers have experienced over the past few weeks. But I did some research with the Air Passenger Rights group and it looks like we might be able to claim our expenses plus $1,000 per person as compensation if the long delay was found to be in the airline's control. So I made a claim for that along with my receipts.

I thought some folks might be interested in our experience, and I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone else has successfully been compensated (or not!).

Have only filed for flight delays. Have never been compensated - I always get the response that the flight was delayed fo ‘safety‘ reasons. I haven’t fought hard against it though .

I had a flight delay of about 3-4 hours about a year ago some of that in the airport and some in the plane on the tarmac. We were given $150 credit per person.

Our flight on Swoop from London to Orlando was cancelled yesterday. Rescheduled for Monday. I put in a claim through their website but I doubt much will become of it

When I flew home from Denver recently, they lost my luggage. After I got it back I went into Air Canada's customer support and e-mailed them about the annoyance of the delayed bag (and having to pay for it with the United portion of the journey) but also said I really appreciated the baggage desk employees help and professionalism. They phoned me and said the appreciated the honest feedback and put about 350$ worth of aeroplan points on my account and upgraded my upcoming flight to Fort Lauderdale to premium economy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter