Airline Class Letters

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
Does anyone know what the letters U, L, and K mean in reference to class type when making a resevation?

They are just the type of fares. For example a Y is a full fare unrestircted ticket. Generally L an U are the most restrictive cheaper fares.

If you have a Y you can just change to any flight on the airline without too much trouble. For the other's there must first be fares available in your class so since L is the cheapest (I think), you might not have any L fares left. In that case you would have to pay the fare difference between your L fare and whatever the cheapest fare was in addition to the change fee if you want to change your flight arrangements.

hope that helps!

We are a "Q" on NWA and they moved our flight an hour later. When I called to see if we could move earlier instead, she said no because the earlier flights weren't our class. But we could get on an earlier flight by calling them the night before to see if the flights had openings, and then just show up for an earlier flight (is that considered standby?). ~:D~

Does anyone know of a website that explains all these letter classifications in depth? I'm just so curious, and maybe this knowledge will help me with my ticket purchasing.
I've done web searches using the words airline class letters, etc, but nothing came up. Any ideas?

SuzyQue,

Yes, in my estimation that would be flying "standby'.

I just did it a couple of weeks ago on NWA out of Detroit to MCO. I was originally booked on the last flight out (9:05 p.m.) and as it was, I got out of work early and could make the 5:30 flight. I called early in the afternoon the NWA 800 number and asked what my chances were to get on that early flight on standby. She told me the flight was NOT booked and my chances were good, but she, of course, couldn't guarantee. We got to the airport early, got our luggage checked at the counter and got a pass that would get us through security. The gate agent told us that it looked good for us to get on the flight and sure enough, we did.

I know people tend to think NWA is a pain, but I actually find them very easy to deal with.

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

Pinnie... thanks so much for the info. Do you think there is any chance we will be able to sit together on standby, or will we pretty much be spread throughout the plane. ~:D~

Suzyque,

As to sitting together, again it depends on how booked the flight is. In Dec, DH and I both got to sit together. When we flew standby in November. *I* got a seat in first class, and DH flew coach <EG>. All I can say is don't count on it happening, but be pleasantly surprised if it does!

My advice is to call the 800 number a few hours before the standby flight you would like to fly and ask what your chances are to get on it If they say the flight is booked.....just stay home, no sense sitting at the airport. (Although the new terminal at DTW is MUCH MUCH nicer than the old one!)

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter