Airmiles Armchair Chatter

With the number of partner exits of late, I am beginning to wonder about the viability of the Airmiles program going forward, longer term.

I've got 38,000 dream miles put aside for flights when 8 of us go to Disney in 2022-24 (1 trip just not sure which year right now). I dont want to collect more Dream miles and have to worry about being able to use them.

Right now all my miles are going to Cash. I use them to pay for groceries and then put that money aside in an account for future travel. This way the travel funds are under my control.

Anyone else concerned about the longer term prospects of the Airmiles program?

This is making it harder to complete the Mega Miles and Shop the Block bonus offer events! If I fly with AC mostly, maybe I should start working harder on my Aeroplan points instead.

If a partner is not listed on the airmilesshops website, I will check the aeroplan shopping website. They also do multipliers. Actually, I totally forgot about my aeroplan points. Under their new program, you can consolidate points. Meaning, if under DDs account she has 30,000 points, I can use her points towards my flight.

Yes, I must say I wondered about this very issue after my phone call with MC a few weeks ago. The agent kept pushing me towards a cash back card but when questioned couldn't explain why she would suggest that since it would not benefit me any better. Made me wonder if MC might be thinking of leaving AM's as well. I know, over the past 15 years BMO has decreased the number of AM's you could collect. Used to get AM's for your line of credit, for several of the bank accounts, mortgages, we used to hand them out like candy when ever a client had an issue.
Going to be paying attention to this rather closely and will continue to collect cash miles so I can do a quick get away if need be. They seem to be losing more sponsors than they are gaining.

With the number of partner exits of late, I am beginning to wonder about the viability of the Airmiles program going forward, longer term.

I've got 38,000 dream miles put aside for flights when 8 of us go to Disney in 2022-24 (1 trip just not sure which year right now). I dont want to collect more Dream miles and have to worry about being able to use them.

Right now all my miles are going to Cash. I use them to pay for groceries and then put that money aside in an account for future travel. This way the travel funds are under my control.

I have been using that strategy for a little while now and I find it more comforting overall. I don’t have anywhere near the amount of miles you have but I do agree with you that the program and its rewards seem to be shrinking all the time . It feels safer to use them as I earn them and set the cash aside. The upside is that the cash makes it easier to hunt for a deal and not be constrained by the specific limits of the program offerings.

I have been using that strategy for a little while now and I find it more comforting overall. I don’t have anywhere near the amount of miles you have but I do agree with you that the program and its rewards seem to be shrinking all the time . It feels safer to use them as I earn them and set the cash aside. The upside is that the cash makes it easier to hunt for a deal and not be constrained by the specific limits of the program offerings.
My sister and I were just talking about that tonight and I am thinking of trying to find something to buy to use up my dream miles. I have never used them for travel just stuff so I am going to see what more stuff I can get. I am going to start to use my cash miles for my groceries. I have 3 LCBO vouchers still left to use but I am sure that they won't expire so I can wait a bit longer to use them.

Up way too early this morning.....but I must say it's very nice to be in the living room with my tea, my Magic Candle Co. (Polynesian) burning and I'm ALL ALONE!!!

So I'm catching up on this thread and I too had heard yesterday about LCBO leaving AM. It made me start thinking about the future on the program. Are they going to take a huge turn and change everything or shut down completely or is all this just another result of the pandemic somehow? I've got a lot of miles that I only want to use for WDW....I don't want/need any 'stuff' and it would be a lot of stuff for the number of miles I have between 2 accounts.

Up way too early this morning.....but I must say it's very nice to be in the living room with my tea, my Magic Candle Co. (Polynesian) burning and I'm ALL ALONE!!!

So I'm catching up on this thread and I too had heard yesterday about LCBO leaving AM. It made me start thinking about the future on the program.

Will it survive the changes ? We have enough dream miles for our universal tickets if we go this Christmas, but I wonder long term if saving miles would be risky .
I don’t find the big bonuses easy anymore it’s a huge cash outlay and the sponsors are items we don’t need ( new cars , investments etc) and when I do work hard for the miles I inevitably end up chasing them down.
PC I get up to $50 use for groceries and get a gift card for $50. I’m averaging $50 every two months with minimal work. ( no oc MasterCard , subscriptions etc )

Along with everyone else I'm thinking about Airmiles future. Unless they start actually getting more sponsors I'm not seeing a reason to continue earning. I've lost 3 of my most used sponsors in the past year or so (Rexall, Foodland, LCBO). I generally use Sobeys for the normal points but for the big promos, relied on the above and the big promos consist of about half of my earnings through the year.

I think this year will be my last with the program. I have just over 2000 right now (used the rest for some flights for later this year). I might just try to drop those on some merchandise and call it a day on the program unless it ramps up again. I don't even see they have the Deals of the Week section anymore in the merchandise section which means all the stuff is going to be so ridiculously over priced.

I think the writing is on the wall for the program sadly and we're witnessing the beginning of the end.

My sister and I were just talking about that tonight and I am thinking of trying to find something to buy to use up my dream miles. I have never used them for travel just stuff so I am going to see what more stuff I can get. I am going to start to use my cash miles for my groceries. I have 3 LCBO vouchers still left to use but I am sure that they won't expire so I can wait a bit longer to use them.
Double check the LCBO website about the e-vouchers. They might have to be used before March 31.

"Up to and including March 31, 2021, AIR MILES Collectors will continue to be able to collect AIR MILES at LCBO locations and online and use Cash Miles for LCBO eVouchers through airmiles.ca."

Well Dang I am only 1/2 way to a full week at Universal Royal Pacific one week vacation,, come on Airmiles get some new sponsors.

I'm not jumping ship just yet ,,,,,BUT if Sobeys heads out the door then I'm out.

P.S.
This is just rumor but I think Shell has something up their sleeve for their own loyalty plan.

Also for Scene points people it looks like BIG changes in that program.
https://cineplex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011517108-How-is-the-SCENE-program-changing-

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
,,,,,BUT if Sobeys heads out the door then I'm out.

P.S.
This is just rumor but I think Shell has something up their sleeve for their own loyalty plan.

https://cineplex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011517108-How-is-the-SCENE-program-changing-

Hugs
Mel
I'm the same with Sobeys/Foodland. The only reason I shop Foodland is for the AM promotions. If that goes, it will be a rare day that I go in. I'll shop my independent grocery store here in town, and No Frills.
If Shell leaves it will be ESSO (PC points) or Petrocan (-3 cents a L).
I've never figured out Scene. LOL The kids use it, and we have cards but wouldn't have a clue about rewards etc. :rotfl:

Oh no not shell too . That was always an easy hit for promos.
my only spot left will be foodland and I buy meat there and specials but not it regular grocery spot for sure .
How much time do you think they would give us if we all had miles and it ceased? I I will worse case scenario but I’m a little nervous

did anyone get stuck with universal passes ? How did universal handle the border closing . They say non -refundable and are date specific

It is really going to be hard to get any promos done. Losing Rexall was bad, but then my Sobeys closed. I do still shop Metro but the last few promos they have been more difficult for me to do with buying a gift basket or such things. Any way. We'll see what happens. I have enough for RT flights to Florida at this point, just not using them to book anything until we know when travel will actually be possible. Worst case, I'll get myself something with them. I can't see the whole program going under, but I imagine they will have to do something or shift focus somehow.

all this speculating makes me feel nervous about my dream miles account...i have a good pile too, waiting for travel. i haven’t switched my main account to cash because it feels like it would be silly to have almost enough for a hotel or something...but it does feel a bit risky.

Well Dang I am only 1/2 way to a full week at Universal Royal Pacific one week vacation,, come on Airmiles get some new sponsors.

I'm not jumping ship just yet ,,,,,BUT if Sobeys heads out the door then I'm out.

P.S.

Hugs
Mel

ugh, nooooo! i wish that companies would stop
making their own loyalty programs.

I started to get concerned seeing all these posts here and on the other site that cannot be named, so decided to check through the Air Miles Dream catalogue and see what I could get for my remaining 2,000 AM...I ended up getting the Hush Weighted Throw. I have heard that weighted blankets help you sleep better but they are expensive. I checked out the Hush website and found that the throw was $229 + tax. So I decided to "treat" myself and I redeemed 1,870 AM for the weighted throw. I will be able to see what it is like and it isn't "technically" costing me anything since the AM were earned on items I normally purchased. I will use up my remaining cash rewards when I get gas at Shell and call it a day on the AM program. I will concentrate on collected PC points and redeeming those points for free groceries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter