AKL/BWI Report~Better late than never!

Tinkerbell2

Earning My Ears
Ok...so its only taken me a month to get this posted..but here it is...

We were supposed to arrive at the AKL on a Fri....but at the last minute my friend got off of work a couple days early...so we were going to go and jsut stay with another of my friends that arrived earlier and was staying at ASMu. But on a whim we called up and asked if there was any availability to arrive a day early and if so the rate. We got the $139 postcard rate and didnt think theyd let us do it...but to our surprise they were VERY accomodating.

We arrived at the AKL between 11-12 and were not expecting to get right in...They had upgraded us automaticly to the savanah view and there were gonna be 3 of us so we asked about bunkj beds...the girl was very nice and said she could do it, but the bunk rooms werent ready yet. She showed us the map and let us pick whether we wanted to wait for the bunks or get in to get some rest from the all night drive. We decided to go with the rom that was ready. I cant tell ya what trail we were on...but we were all VERY excited to see that they were feeding the giraffes right out our balcony! Since we arrived earlier than planned we spent the first 2 days hanging around the resort and resort hopping.

Friday morning we went to the poly for the tonga toast ( a MUST) then we went into the GF and by that time we were getting kinda hot and cranky so we went back to the AKL to sit by the pool. And to our amazement I could not believe how close the giraffes actually come to the pool!!! I was TRYING to take a picture and all I had with me was a 100=300mm lens and it was so close I couldnt even get it's entire head in the picture!!! It was truelly amazing. I must say..the first 2-3 days I was truely amazed at the AKL...but it wasnt my favorite place...to me it got kinda old after a while.

For our last 2 nights we moved over to the boardwalk inn...I had a couple nights complimentary there for some serious problems we had at the wilderness lodge on a previous stay...and I was really thinking that I was NOT gonna like it...Boy was I surprised!!! My first impression of the BWI was NOT possitive. We pulled up and the valet seemed VERY upset that we wanted to self park. We had a LOT of stuff in the car that we would be using but NOT bringing in so we wanted it easily accesible...They were NOT happy but oh well. We went to check in that morning at 8AM...and we KNEW we would not be able to get in, but we had ressies at Cindy's so we wanted to park the car and ride the bus..we didnt care about getting into the room. Well the girl at the front desk was VERY rude to us. I told her we knew we couldnt get in, but aI was just wondering what kid of view we had. She was really rude the whole time but when I asked about the view she told me "I told you your room wasnt ready yet, and we dont give out the room numbers!" To which I replied "I realize we cant get in yet, I wasnt asking what room we were gonna be in, I asked what kind of view we would have!" So she finally told me we had a garden view. At that point she took my cc but i had to beg for a parking pass , she didnt want to give it til we came back...nor did she give us the keys for the room...which didnt bother me...until I found out that we could not charge to the room..nor could we take advantage of the package delivery. There were a couple larger Items I wanted that I couldnt get because I wasnt about to prance around the park with them!

So anyway...we go back around 3 jsut to see if it was ready...and we got a trainee...she was very nice and the man training her was fantastic. But I found it odd when he asked me for my CC again...apaarently the first girl in the AM had never even put in that we had even been in...At that point the man seemed kindaa mad because they had actually given us a concierge room and she never told us! He was very appologetic saying that she was to offer us access to the lounge to wait for our room.

Anyway...once we got in the room I couldnt believe it...I fell in love. The rooms are IMO the most beautifly decorated...we had a HUGE balcony with a fantastic view of Epcot and the gardens! The bell man took us up to our room and opened the door and said "I have to show you the most important thing of this room first!" He took us right to the balcony and told us we had one of the best views of the resort..and he wasnt kidding! The room was beautiful, the balcony was huge enough for a party and the view was spectacular...LOL we felt like we were in france overloking the eiffel tower!

Not that I have a lot of concierge experience, but we felt the staff was very nice...the selection was good and the lounge was very comfy...not to mention the one girl that kept the wine flowing when we were the only ones in the lounge :)

It was a great trip...if ya have any ?'s Ill try to answer!

We will be at AKL Aug 30. I can't wait!!! BWI is really one resort I would like to try.The pictures make it look so relaxing, yet fun at the same time! Glad you had a good time!

We are checking into BWI on July 9th. Was the Inn full? I would love a upgrade. But I think it is rude to expect it. We are staying for 7 night and I asked for a upper floor. I have sent a fax request before and had great results. This time I think we will try for the luck of the draw. Sounds like you had a great time, except for the check in girl. I always get those ones when I have to deal with a problem/question.

...We didnt go in expecting an upgrade to the BWI...we were actually gratefull to have a complimentary room there...see we had some SERIOUS problems on a VERY LARGE family trip...so they offered each of us a complimentary night at the boardwalk...Which I thaught was quite generous. The gentleman I made our arangements with was very helpful and friendly and certainly went out of his way...but I never dreamed we would get that upgrade....nor would I have asked for it. It was a FANTASTIC surprise...and they definatly gained a new customer there...that is now among one of my favorites :)

As for the Animal Kingdom...yeah, Ill admit it..I kinda expected the savanah upgrade, but I wouldnt have ever asked for one I dont think!..LOL..but I wasnt gonna care either way if we got one or not...I was just happy to be in Disney World!

Oh and the only request I ever make is non-smoking...and thats for medical reasons.

You'll love the boardwalk!....but make sure you take a map with you the first day...we got lost just trying to find the pool!!!

hi, we're also going to stay at the bwi in november. can you tell me what your room numberwas? you're a wonderful PR person for that hotel! if i wasn't planning on staying there, i'd probably change my reservation! thanks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter