AKL vs BWV

italia218

Earning My Ears
Hey guys!

I am thinking about renting DVC points! I really want to purchase for myself, but I need a few more years to save up! I figured this was a great way to stay and see for myself at a great price!! Anyways, I am torn between AKL standard studio and BWV standard studio. I know the BWV will be more expensive, but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!!

The BWV are convenient to 2 parks we walk to both HS and Epcot. I would vote for BW. Standard views are very difficult to book you will need an owner to book at your 11 month window. If I were to stay at AKV I would want a savanna view-for me that's the draw for AKV

Personally I love both resorts, though the advantages differ greatly.
BWV standard won't be more expensive than AKV standard, I don't believe. If you are looking at AKV value, then yes, AKV will be cheaper. But remember that AKV value rooms are very few and thus they are hard to get so be prepared for a fall back plan. Even standard view rooms go quickly so plan to rent your reservation 11 months from checkin.
We usually stay at BWV because it is so easy to get to DHS and EPCOT by boat or walking. We always book BW view because we love watching the activity on the BW, seeing Spaceship Earth and Illuminations from our balcony. Parking at BWV is not very close and there is only one set of elevators on the villa side of the resort. These 2 issues aren't a big deal to us but they may be important to you. There are quick service eating options on the BW but not a quick service restaurant in the BWV.
AKV has wonderful theming and, of course, animals. If you stay at Kidani, underground parking is available. The resort has a feeling of being insulated from the fast pace of the Disney parks and that can be a real plus for relaxation. Kidani also has a very nice splash water play area if you are bringing kids. Many people prefer AKV Jambo because there is a quick service restaurant there but not at Kidani.
If you want to feel in the middle of the action, you might prefer BWV. If you want to have a more laid back feel while at your resort, you may prefer AKV. If you are staying long enough, you might want to consider doing a few days at each resort to compare for yourself.

Hey guys!

I am thinking about renting DVC points! I really want to purchase for myself, but I need a few more years to save up! I figured this was a great way to stay and see for myself at a great price!! Anyways, I am torn between AKL standard studio and BWV standard studio. I know the BWV will be more expensive, but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!!

BWV standard is one of the best deals going. As others said, it's difficult to get 7 months or less, standard is only 20% of the resort.

BWV standard is one of the best deals going. As others said, it's difficult to get 7 months or less, standard is only 20% of the resort.

I agree that BWV standard is a great value. I don't understand how the resale prices are not higher with this option. During some periods of the year, only AKV value required less points for a studio. Seems like an easy choice to stay at BWV for the same amount of points as OKW or less points than SSR.

my 2 cents...
last year, we stayed at both. After spending 6 days at AKL Kidani, BWV was a bit of a disappointment. AKL just has so much more going for it...ambiance, animals, educational component. My kids would vote for AKL every trip (our home resort), but we are trying a new resort each trip with split stays.

If I were staying in a studio at AKV, I prefer Jambo to Kidani, because there are 2 sinks in the dressing area, and Jambo has the counter service restaurant, the Mara. Everyone I've ever stayed with has been able to find something they liked at the Mara!

No wrong answer here.

Our home is BWV and fully enjoy it. Avoid busses for two parks Boardwalk activities, restaurants (including walking to EPCOT for Dinner).

We've stayed at Jambo House and absolutely luv it. I Prefer this to Kidani for a few reasons. Main Lobby sitting area, large and interesting, Resturant and Quick Service choices, shop. Pool/Pool Bar and being able to walk from pool to look at animals, and go back to pool. While you can park under Kidani I just like the look of the Jambo much better, but its all personal preference.

For us doesn't matter where we are as long its at Disney.

We have stayed at both and as mentioned, each has its own benefits. We prefer BWV due to the convenience to the parks. But, the stay at Jambo House was very relaxing and since that trip, it was more about hanging out at the resort during the day as it was a mother and daughter trip.

Good luck!!

I'm torn on this one too. We have two DVC contracts - one BWV and one AKV!

I think it depends on who you're traveling with and what you plan on doing. We love AKV to stay with our kids. The animals and pool area are great for days we don't go to parks. Our kids are very young - 4 yrs & 7 months. They always fo the movie on the big screen by the pool, stories around the firepit, and parades through the lobby. my DD loves it! The bus transportation does take a bit longer but it's not bad at all.

BWV we usually stay at when we have my dad with us. The kids are with us too and we don't like the pool as much. The clown is a little on the creepy side, and I really hope my kids don't grow up scared of them since we'll be staying there June & Nov this year! My dad doesn't do the pool at all so he can go out to the boardwalk on his scooter. At night they have entertainers around the boardwalk like a piano man and a gunslinger. Of course there's always the entertainment Disney didn't hire - the families that rent the surrey bikes. There's always a few good laughs there just watch out do you font get run over. We do prefer transportation here because you can walk to Epcot or take a boat and the boat goes to HS as well. So you're not having to rely on the bus as much. Although the MK bus can be difficult coming back from a park. It usually serves the Dolphin and Swan too. When its busy, the bus can be packed and it be a long trip.

both good choices:)

we loved AKV for the first days of our vaca there (11 days). unfortunately, around the 5th day, it started to get monotonous. (my friend who bought at Kidana after i gave her a BW stay, is of the same opinion - fantastic for a shorter, few or non-park stay). however, we love, LOVE the interesting AKV CMs, savanna view, decor, and of course, Boma :love: ...

BWV has so many active and quiet options, that we are rarely "bored" (despite 2-3 trips a year, 10-13 days each). we don't go to the parks much, maybe stroll to EPCOT for a grey goose slushie, or DHS for TSM and to watch street shows.
mini-golf is close, nighttime brings the street performers and carny games, and there are so many quiet nooks to read or veg (the story behind the BW's architecture and decor is fascinating - ask for a fact sheet at the front desk).
Big river grill has some great pasta (and i am very picky about my pasta dishes), burgers, and beer. flying fish is delicious, but rather pricey.

jellyrolls (dueling piano bar) is right on the BW for nighttime adult entertainment.

time of year, length of stay, ages of guests, and park/non-park plans should influence your choice.
:)

Other posters really have great summaries!

I think it's what is important to you:

Consideration - preferred resort
Noise level - akl (bwv are notorious for thin walls and loud rooms)
Cost - bwv standard is cheaper
View - cant beat savanna view, standard at jambo is usually the pool or an obstructed savanna, kidani standard is usually a parking lot. Edge to bwv if standard, akl if savanna
Convenience to parks - bwv to epcot and studios. Ive heard busses to mk are horrible! Edge still to bwv
Restaurants - tons of options at bwv + epcot world showcase, but akl has 4 GREAT options in jiko, boma, sanna, and mara
Theme - clear advantage to akl unless you love the creepy clown from stephen king's "It"..... He can be found at bwv's pool slide
Rooms - akl are much newer and seem more luxurious. Bwv has room reports of being musty and moldy smelling in some rooms (most are fine,im sure)
Parking lot - bwv and jambo house are both remote. Kidani has parking right under your room
Special amenities - akl has night vision goggles to view animals, african story tellers, and of course the animals. That said, you can watch the higher fireworks from the boardwalk view, and theres nothing quite as convenient as watching illuminations and then walking 5 minutes to your room at bwv!.... Same for the boat ride to your room after fantasmic!

TSMMANIAC said:
The BWV are convenient to 2 parks we walk to both HS and Epcot. I would vote for BW. Standard views are very difficult to book you will need an owner to book at your 11 month window. If I were to stay at AKV I would want a savanna view-for me that's the draw for AKV

Thank you all! I think I am going to try and get boardwalk, but that all depends on availability. Thanks again, you guys are the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter