AKV Construction Photos

Caskbill

<font color="blue">DVC-Operations<br>DVC-Planning<
We had a chance to get over to AKL last week and were able to get some photos. Shown below with comments.

5th Floor conversions from outside:
AKV-1.jpg

The 5th floor rooms are being converted. They put sheets over the patio doors so you can't see inside.

AKV-2.jpg

One interesting thing is that the balconies for the DVC units will be slightly larger than the floors below. Notice how the lower floor balconies don't extend out as far as the 5th floor balconies.

AKV-8.jpg

From the inside, the 5th floor is walled off now with just an access door. You can't tell it was a previously a full hallway unless you knew that beforehand.

AKV-9.jpg

For photos of the new construction, we walked down all the way to the end of the lodge, then to an outside stairwell (marked with an X) where you can see the construction.

AKV-5.jpg

New construction photo #1. The large building is most likely the new Animal Barn. Not sure exactly where the DVC units will be yet.

AKV-7.jpg

New construction photo #2

AKV-6.jpg

A telephoto shot looking down the construction zone as far as possible. This is barely visible in the 'new construction photo #1' above. Look way in the back at the upper left area of that photo. Most likely this could be the center check-in lobby area for DVC.

AKV-5.jpg

Apparently, the fascination with cement mixers is not restricted to our species alone.

Great photos!

One interesting thing is that the balconies for the DVC units will be slightly larger than the floors below. Notice how the lower floor balconies don't extend out as far as the 5th floor balconies.
What you are noticing is the difference between a "Standard" AKL room and a "Deluxe" AKL room. The deluxe rooms are about 4 feet longer, so the balconies of those room extend out further. So the balconies for the standard view and savanna view DVC units will look like that because they are being created from deluxe AKL rooms. The balconies for the value villas will line up with the balconies of the floors below because they are being created from standard AKL rooms. The only standard size AKL rooms on the 5th floor are along both sides of the Giraffe and Ostrich trails which extend out along the front of the resort.

I think possibly if wanting to walk from the new building to the lodge, AKV might qualify as the new record for longest halls. That looks like a long building.

AKV-8.jpg

From the inside, the 5th floor is walled off now with just an access door. You can't tell it was a previously a full hallway unless you knew that beforehand.
... unless you look at the sign for the Zebra Trail that is just off the right side of your photo and try to follow the arrow for rooms 5407 - 5596! Clunk!
81115ZebraTrail.JPG

Thanks for the inside look.

Lisa... you are sooo observant. I suspect you don't miss anything. You, I think, are a knowledge sponge.

Great photos, Caskbill. The animals watching all the action is so cute.

I met my son for lunch at Mara last week and saw what I "think" is the beginning of construction of the actual villas. I was there early so wandered over to the handicapped parking lot. There is construction there and it is very close to AKL itself. There is even what appears to be a ramp into parking. Sorry, no camera with me.

Caskbill:

Thanks for the photos!

Those animals checking out the construction are priceless. They must know something is going on.

I thought Disney/DVC was going to be sensative to the animals surroundings during construction? What's up with that!? Maybe this is how they are acclamating them to there new surroundings.

Those animals checking out the construction are priceless. They must know something is going on.

I thought Disney/DVC was going to be sensative to the animals surroundings during construction? What's up with that!? Maybe this is how they are acclamating them to there new surroundings.

Yeah, funny how they restricted pool hopping to AKL pool to "protect the animals". :rolleyes:

I guess kids splashing in the pool are much more aggravating to the animals than a cement mixer, pile drivers, etc! ;)

The picture with the animals is fantastic. The animals are checking out the new neighbors. I love it.

AKV-5.jpg

Apparently, the fascination with cement mixers is not restricted to our species alone.

Okay, question for you. In this picture ( I took the exact same one) there is a small animal pen if you look down that had 3 animals in it. They looked like a cross between a goat and a pig. Any idea what they were. They were not listed on the animal sheet in the room and I never got a chance to ask anyone about them.

Okay, question for you. In this picture ( I took the exact same one) there is a small animal pen if you look down that had 3 animals in it. They looked like a cross between a goat and a pig. Any idea what they were. They were not listed on the animal sheet in the room and I never got a chance to ask anyone about them.

I believe those are the Disney Specific species called Mikelius Eisnerius.

They were put out to pasture about a year and 1/2 ago.

:)

Darn it, Bill! I just got back last night and was coming here to post my pictures of the construction too!

I wont bore you with mine, since they are almost identical to yours. The structure you see is actually the new barns. At least that's what they told us. The cleared area is where the villas will be, and it does look like they have started footings. They denied that was what was going on though.

LOVED the new models, and I can't wait to stay there next March!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter