Alaska dogsledding excursions: give me all the details

ArtemisPhoenix

Mouseketeer
We are looking at booking an Alaska cruise for 2024, either late August or early September. Can anyone tell me what the helicopter/ dogsledding on the glacier is like? Is it better in Juneau vs Skagway? Has anyone booked directly with a tour company rather than through Disney? Is it worth the money?

We booked directly with Temsco out of Skagway. I heard that Skagway gets canceled less than Juneau. We went in mid-August and loved it. So many Alaskan excursions are so expensive - but we thought it was worth it.

Been several years since my daughter and I did this and we booked via Disney (first year Disney did the glacier/dog sledding) - we did it in Juneau and it was absolutely one of the most memorable experiences

It was very limited in the amount of folks who could book it so it felt more like a personalized experience - we ate on the glacier as well (at that time Disney was the ONLY one who had set this up via the tour groups)

We will be doing it in a couple of weeks. I booked it for Skagway through Alaska Shore Excursions, which were recommended on the boards. Since I am silver, I was concerned it would be booked by the time we could book DCL. I booked Skagway, because I wanted to do whale watching in Juneau. Temsco was recommended in a guide book I read.

Late August/Early September may not be an option for dogsledding on a glacier. Its my understanding that those end (weather) earlier in the season. I may be wrong, but I'd definitely have a backup plan.

Actually, I'd have a back-up plan for a helicopter/plane excursion no matter what in case of bad weather.
(Says the wife of a private pilot)

Late August/Early September may not be an option for dogsledding on a glacier. Its my understanding that those end (weather) earlier in the season. I may be wrong, but I'd definitely have a backup plan.

Actually, I'd have a back-up plan for a helicopter/plane excursion no matter what in case of bad weather.
(Says the wife of a private pilot)
The tour companies I’ve been looking at have availability for this excursion up till Sept 9. But yeah, I was thinking I should have a backup plan for sure

We did it years ago--actually I think it was the first year DCL went to Alaska. We booked directly with Temsco because I was afraid as a lowly silver cc it would sell it before I could book with Disney. We did it in Skagway and the Temsco office was a 2 minute walk from the ship. It was expensive but perhaps the best PA we have ever done. So memorable and fun. Do it!

Attachments

• DSC01303.JPG
    DSC01303.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 9

We did it in Juneau in mid to late august many years ago. The one we did was the Disney exclusive dog musher for a day. I don’t believe they have that exact one anymore but they have one that is very similar. It was absolutely amazing and one of the most awesome things I’ve ever done. I’m patiently waiting for my youngest kiddo to be 7/8 so I can take my kiddos to Alaska and experience it again.

We did it in Juneau in mid to late august many years ago. The one we did was the Disney exclusive dog musher for a day. I don’t believe they have that exact one anymore but they have one that is very similar. It was absolutely amazing and one of the most awesome things I’ve ever done. I’m patiently waiting for my youngest kiddo to be 7/8 so I can take my kiddos to Alaska and experience it again.
What made it so amazing? What are you seeing when you fly over the glacier? Do you think there is something different to doing this in Juneau vs Skagway? Or is it basically the same kind of terrain that you’re flying over in either place?

We did it years ago--actually I think it was the first year DCL went to Alaska. We booked directly with Temsco because I was afraid as a lowly silver cc it would sell it before I could book with Disney. We did it in Skagway and the Temsco office was a 2 minute walk from the ship. It was expensive but perhaps the best PA we have ever done. So memorable and fun. Do it!
Do you mind telling me what made it so memorable? And what you remember about the flight part? I think I’m trying to figure out what it is that you see in Skagway. I know in Juneau it’s the Mendenhall Glacier, but I don’t know what you’re really flying over in Skagway. I’m assuming there’s some sort of glacier for the sledding?

What made it so amazing? What are you seeing when you fly over the glacier? Do you think there is something different to doing this in Juneau vs Skagway? Or is it basically the same kind of terrain that you’re flying over in either place?
I honestly don’t know the difference in doing it in Skagway vs Juneau terrain wise. We picked Juneau because it had the Disney exclusive one that was longer and a bit more involved in doing stuff with the dogs. We also had other stuff we wanted to do in Skagway. As far as what made it amazing-the views from the helicopter, landing on a glacier, getting the dogs ready for mushing, touring the dog camp and playing with puppies, standing at the back of the sled looking at a huge white expanse as the sled dogs pull you across the glacier. It’s just so different than anything I’ve ever done before.

I honestly don’t know the difference in doing it in Skagway vs Juneau terrain wise. We picked Juneau because it had the Disney exclusive one that was longer and a bit more involved in doing stuff with the dogs. We also had other stuff we wanted to do in Skagway. As far as what made it amazing-the views from the helicopter, landing on a glacier, getting the dogs ready for mushing, touring the dog camp and playing with puppies, standing at the back of the sled looking at a huge white expanse as the sled dogs pull you across the glacier. It’s just so different than anything I’ve ever done before.
Sounds amazing! Thank you!

Do you mind telling me what made it so memorable? And what you remember about the flight part? I think I’m trying to figure out what it is that you see in Skagway.
Just as NephieRN said above. In Skagway you fly over a glacier. The view was amazing. Once you land, it's just you and the 3 other people from the helicopter alone on the glacier with a few people who care for the dogs. After being on a ship with a few thousand people, that quiet and aloneness was really impactful. And then there were the dogs! Lots of time playing with a cuddling the dogs and taking turns leading the team that pulled your sled.

If you have an option of different start times, choose later in the day. We had fog in the morning and our friends who had booked this had their morning glacier flight cancelled, but the fog cleared after a couple of hours and the flights resumed. Heard this is quite common, but they were really disappointed as that was a big part of why they wanted to cruise Alaska.

If you have an option of different start times, choose later in the day. We had fog in the morning and our friends who had booked this had their morning glacier flight cancelled, but the fog cleared after a couple of hours and the flights resumed. Heard this is quite common, but they were really disappointed as that was a big part of why they wanted to cruise Alaska.
Thank you! That’s really good information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter