Alaska From Seattle/vancouver

missstcroix

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip next summer with airfare that will only get me from NJ to Seattle, and looking to get to Alaska. I know the cruise is the way to go, but seriously doubt I can afford that..is there a train anyone knows of that goes from Washington or Vancouver? Thanks!

Well, I don't normally suggest travel agents, but this might be one of those cases!

Amtrak goes from Seattle to Amtrak (lovely trip). But from there, IF there's a train that gets up near Alaska, you'd have to travel by VIA, Canada's railway (I've heard their trains are AMAZING). But I can't tell by a quick look at their website if they get near Alaska. Oh wait, when looking at a site I mention later, I noticed that Prince Rupert is either in Alaska or is right next to it, and it looks like VIA goes there, which could be a springboard into Alaska (or actually in it...can't believe how incredibly stupid I am coming across here regarding geography).

Another aspect is...is it just you? Do you have a LONG amount of time to get there? Is there a specific part of Alaska you want to see? Do you just want to tour wherever you can?

A friend of mine priced out Amtrak to Vancouver, then VIA over towards Detroit, and it was seriously expensive. (not the to Vancouver part) So the train travel could get VERY expensive, especially if you're going for a sleeper car.

You might want to really look at the cruises out of Seattle or Vancouver, to really see how expensive or inexpensive they might be (especially since they include food and entertainment). But that would only work if you don't have anything specific in mind to see.

Oh, and if you have a long time for vacation, and don't mind roughing it to a certain extent, Alaska has an extensive ferry system that intrigues me. http://www.akferry.org/ Ooh, and it looks like it leaves from Bellingham, WA.

I grew up in Alaska and from what I remember you can not take a train from Seattle or Vancouver. You could rent a car in Seattle then drive to Alaska and get on the railway in Anchorage. The ferry system is great if you want to visit coastal areas, but if you want to get up into the interior (Denali) then you should take the train. I did it once and it was awesome!!! I am not sure when in the summer you plan on going but the later in the summer the nicer weather you will have. Also, I was just in Anchorage in May before Memorial Day and got stuck over night. I had to find a hotel and pretty much everyone was full so I ended up in some older hotel near downtown--200$ a night. I was so shocked because I didn't think that the rates would go up until Memorial but the lady said no, that tourist season now starts earlier so the rates go WAY up starting in May.

We live in Seattle and like flying to Anchorage. Its a 4.5 hr flight, and we prefer it because its the fastest way to get there. Then if you love the train you can take a train north to Mt. McKinley/Denali NP and Fairbanks. Or a train south to Seward. We like to rent a car and drive to Seward or Homer on the Kenai Peninsula. We once stayed in a charming lighthouse in a hotel in Homer and loved it. We like to hike and there are a lot of places to hike to glaciers. Our family members have taken cruises and didn't like it (but probably because they are outdoors people). They felt trapped on board in the rain and the ports in the Panhandle are pretty touristy, crowded when everyone disembarks and sometimes rainy/muddy/dirty. Seward is a beautiful port, but you would have to be on a long cruise to make it to Seward.

Tips:
1. Alaska has some bright sunny days in the summer, but be prepared for mostly cloudy days with a strong chance of rain, sometime pouring rain all day. Bring a lot of long pants and long sleeves.
2. Also remember that Alaska is HUGE. What looks like a little distance on the map is usually a day's worth of travel. And boats and the ferry system are a slow way to travel unless you have a lot of time. Flying to and driving in Alaska will allow you to maximize your time and see a lot within a week.
3. Hotels and cabins around Mt. McKinley National Park book up nearly a year in advance. If you are heading that way, make your reservations early, or try for a tour package.

Alaska is my second favorite vacation destination, after So. Cal / DLR. After my first trip to WDW next year, it may move down to third place. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter