Alaska Itineraries

I think the responses so far are validating my hesitations... :worried:

So my next question would be, of the Radiance itineraries (northbound or southbound) which is "better" or different about each? I know they are the same ports but is there any advantage/disadvantage or difference between? And finally, is Icy Straight an actual port? Can you get off the ship there? and what about Tracy Arm Fjord?

Icy Strait Point is the small town of Hoonah, Alaska, and you do get off the ship there. I went whale watching in Hoonah with F.I.S.H.E.S.

Tracy Arm is a 30-mile-long fjord with twin glaciers at the end. A lot of cruise shops don't allow enough time to get through the ice, and don't always get to the glaciers. However, the fjord is pretty. Jewel goes there, whereas Radiance goes to the much more impressive Hubbard Glacier. Both are scenic sailing days.

Northbound vs. southbound is a matter of personal preference. On Princess and HAL, the itineraries are slightly different each direction. However, the ports are the same on Radiance of the Seas. Advantages of the northbound are that the scenery gets more and more spectacular, and you also get more hours of daylight when you sail north. A lot of people prefer the southbound if they do land trips, as they do the more hectic part of the trip first, and then relax on the ship.

I have been on 2 northbound one-way cruises and 2 roundtrips. If I do another Alaska cruise, it will be southbound after I spend some time in Alaska.

We have finally settled on the RT itinerary on the Jewel for next year. We were concerned as well. We did Alaska with DCL a few years ago and weren't super excited with Ketchikan, so missing this port isn't heartbreaking for us. In addition the cost did factor into our decision. I do like the longer port times in Juneau and Skagway. Looking at the one way itineraries, I am not thrilled about the added time/cost/hassle with travel between Anchorage/Seward and with the additional airfare, I could not justify it. I will use the savings toward excursions in Juneau/Skagway. I really don't think you will be disappointed no matter what you choose.

We have finally settled on the RT itinerary on the Jewel for next year. We were concerned as well. We did Alaska with DCL a few years ago and weren't super excited with Ketchikan, so missing this port isn't heartbreaking for us. In addition the cost did factor into our decision. I do like the longer port times in Juneau and Skagway. Looking at the one way itineraries, I am not thrilled about the added time/cost/hassle with travel between Anchorage/Seward and with the additional airfare, I could not justify it. I will use the savings toward excursions in Juneau/Skagway. I really don't think you will be disappointed no matter what you choose.

We did the one-way from Vancouver to Seward on Radiance of the Seas last summer. The ship disembarked at Seward within a very short walking distance of the train. I was surprised how close it was. Even more surprising, the train took us right to the Anchorage airport. The train was a lot more comfortable than the bus between Seward and Anchorage. RCCL also had onboard airline check-in so they picked up our luggage the last night of the cruise and we didn't see it again til our home airport. Loved the convenience!

We did the one-way from Vancouver to Seward on Radiance of the Seas last summer. The ship disembarked at Seward within a very short walking distance of the train. I was surprised how close it was. Even more surprising, the train took us right to the Anchorage airport. The train was a lot more comfortable than the bus between Seward and Anchorage. RCCL also had onboard airline check-in so they picked up our luggage the last night of the cruise and we didn't see it again til our home airport. Loved the convenience!

That train operates solely for cruise passengers. When our HAL cruise ended in Seward several years ago, we spent the day there, then took the regular evening train to Anchorage that ends downtown. We stayed in Anchorage for 5 days to attend a church confererence, went to Denali for 2 days, then stayed in Anchorage 1 more night before flying home.

It's a shame that so many people who cruise one-way to Alaska fly home immediately. The best part of Alaska is the land portion and not the panhandle - IMHO. It would be like cruising to Europe on a Transatlantic, stopping at an island in the Atlantic on the way, and then flying home without spending any time on the continent.

That train operates solely for cruise passengers. When our HAL cruise ended in Seward several years ago, we spent the day there, then took the regular evening train to Anchorage that ends downtown. We stayed in Anchorage for 5 days to attend a church confererence, went to Denali for 2 days, then stayed in Anchorage 1 more night before flying home.

It's a shame that so many people who cruise one-way to Alaska fly home immediately. The best part of Alaska is the land portion and not the panhandle - IMHO. It would be like cruising to Europe on a Transatlantic, stopping at an island in the Atlantic on the way, and then flying home without spending any time on the continent.

True. We've also been to Denali, and on up to Fairbanks, so I know what you mean.

NancyIL said:
Are you asking if there is enough to do on sea days to make cruising to Alaska worthwhile? Cruising to Alaska would be worthwhile even if there was absolutely nothing to do on sea days! :teeth: Whether or not there are "enough" activities to satisfy you depends on your interests and what the cruise ship offers. There will probably be lectures about the Alaskan ports, geography, and/or wildlife - in addition to the usual sea day activities. Unless the pool is covered, you probably won't be swimming.

The outdoor temperature will feel pretty chilly while the ship is sailing - so dress appropriately if you want to spend more than a few minutes outside looking for whales. :)

For me - the itinerary is more important than the ship.
I LOVE sea days on Alaskan cruises and the ferry. I moved to Oregon from AK last summer by shipping my car and cats and taking a southbound cruise. You're right that people found it cold. It was delightful--I had the whole back end of the ship to myself most of the time. My "summer breeze" was chilly to others. I was told by some New Zealanders that it was a bit fresh out and I must be a sturdy sort. Cracked me up. (I wilt in warm weather though). :-)

We looked long and hard at the RCCL DIS Alaska cruise for June 2015. DH was up for it, but I decided against it. When we do Alaska it's going to be a once in a lifetime trip and I don't want to rush it just to check it off my bucket list. I see us doing a land/cruise trip at some point. I can wait!

Instead, we're going to fly to Montana, rent a car, and explore Glacier National Park. (We did that some years back for the Oregon Coast and looping back up through wine country -- it was incredible!)

Plus, we have our DCL Bahamas Christmastime cruise next December!

Ok, so my husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise in late May or early June in 2015 for our 20th anniversary.

I have done tons of research, but still can't decide. I hear great things about Royal Caribbean and I was leaning towards them, but then I saw the flights and travel to and from Seward to Anchorage, and well I don't know.

I also looked at Land first then Sea, as this looks great. But then what do you do with your luggage as you do the land thing, I assume it travels with you until you get on the ship. That too seems like alot of work/hassle.

So now we are leaning towards Princess (Golden Princes) out of San Francisco for 10 days. It is Inside Passage with Glacier Bay.

I know nothing about Princess cruise lines.

We are not opposed to Land and Cruise, but is the luggage situation difficult, how about getting from Seward to Anchorage?

Thoughts on 10 Day Princess Cruise, any experiences?

Does anyone know how to train and/or bus between Skagway & Anchorage?

When my HAL ship stopped at Skagway, I was surprised passengers were leaving and joining the ship. I've since wondered if there is a land option between Skagway & Anchorage.

Ok, so my husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise in late May or early June in 2015 for our 20th anniversary.

I have done tons of research, but still can't decide. I hear great things about Royal Caribbean and I was leaning towards them, but then I saw the flights and travel to and from Seward to Anchorage, and well I don't know.

I also looked at Land first then Sea, as this looks great. But then what do you do with your luggage as you do the land thing, I assume it travels with you until you get on the ship. That too seems like alot of work/hassle.

So now we are leaning towards Princess (Golden Princes) out of San Francisco for 10 days. It is Inside Passage with Glacier Bay.

I know nothing about Princess cruise lines.

We are not opposed to Land and Cruise, but is the luggage situation difficult, how about getting from Seward to Anchorage?

Thoughts on 10 Day Princess Cruise, any experiences?

We did a land/sea with Princess. Glacier Bay is gorgeous. Seven days on the ship, then seven more days on land, including Denali. We ended up in Fairbanks. Princess handled our luggage for the land portion. We didn't have to haul it anywhere.

Last summer we took a RCCL cruise that ended up in Seward. the last night of the cruise we left our luggage outside our stateroom and next time we saw it was at our home airport. We took a very scenic train ride from the cruise ship to the airport in Anchorage. Wonderfully convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter