Alcohol ID

kylieh

DIS Veteran
We're visiting WDW from Australia - but I thought you all would know the answer or have experience with this one... I'm in my late 40s, hubby 51, so theoretically I'd expect not to be asked. Though stranger things have happened. My understanding is we can use our photo driver's licence as ID as long as we have a photo of our passport on our phone. Has that been your experience, or have they asked for your physical passport?

My son was 21 on our last trip and got asked for ID evertime he wished to drink alcohol. I took a photocopy of his passport and this was fine. Drivers licence with photo is also accetable.

We just did a 14 day trip on the dining plan and me trying to get my moneys worth ordered an alcoholic drink on probably 15 occasions (I never drink at home!). I carried my passport with me as I knew a uk drivers licence isn’t always accepted. You know what? I wasn’t asked ONCE for ID. I am so gutted. I turn 30 in 3 months, I guess I officially look in my 30’s, excuse me I’m just off to have a little cry.

I’m 35, with a full on beard, and was asked all the time!

I had my driving licence on me and a picture of my passport (in case) and it was fine

It’s always better to be safe than sorry!

Never once been asked for a passport or even a copy of it in 12 years of visiting. Would never carry my passport around.

Driving licence has always been accepted, and yes, at 51, I was asked for ID this past trip!

Made my day :)

We visited last year, my daughter was 22 and was asked every time for ID. She showed them a photo of her passport on her phone, some asked to also see her driving licence. I'm 52 and never got asked :D

Thank you everyone, appreciate your help. We'll take a pic of our passport and carry our licence.

I find it’s 50/50 on whether I get asked for I.D or not. But in all the times I have been asked not once have I been asked to show a copy/photo of my passport when I’ve already shown then my driving license. I always have a photo ready because I can pretty much guarantee that the one time I don’t I’ll get refused one of them lovely grey goose slushes and I would be sad ;):sad1:

My son was 21 on our last trip and got asked for ID evertime he wished to drink alcohol. I took a photocopy of his passport and this was fine. Drivers licence with photo is also accetable.

I've had a UK Driving License refused before with a Passport Photo at Resturantasauras, and BoG. Depends who you get serving you, and who their boss is. They seem to get confused with US and UK Date Formats!

I don't get ID'd anymore though, so it's all good!

Last edited:
Our experience has been as follows:

At WDW my daughter was always asked for ID (she's 24) - and they would only accept Driving Licence with photo of passport
At Universal and offsite, more often than not she was not asked - but if she was they were happy to accept driving licence on its own

We stayed on Disney property solely for 10 nights and we had the DDP so usually had minimum of two alcoholic drinks a day. We were asked for ID once and I am 30 and DH is 29. It was in D-Luxe Burger at Disney Springs-I showed my physical driving license and a picture of my passport on my phone.

On our last trip I was 26. Got asked quite often same as DGF. Some places during food and wine were awkward about taking just the driving license, which was annoying. But took a photo of passport on phone and that was fine when combined with driving license.

I've always found the alcohol/ID thing very inconsistent in WDW. Sometimes I've been asked for ID, sometimes servers have seen my passport in my hand but haven't asked to look at it, other times I haven't been asked at all.

I don't drive so my passport is my only form of ID. I don't mind carrying it in the parks but it is annoying if I've brought it and no one asks!

It would be amazing if Disney could put some of that wonderful/creepy technology to use for resort guests so we can show ID at check in and have it listed on our account :laughing:

I've had a UK Driving License refused before with a Passport Photo at Resturantasauras, and BoG. Depends who you get serving you, and who their boss is. They seem to get confused with US and UK Date Formats!
That happened to me once when I was in FL back in 2012, when I was just legal to drink booze in the US. Very nearly got refused beer in a restaurant because the waitress confused the date formats on my British driving licence, so as a result, I now carry my passport with me at all times. When I went to New York City last year and the year before, I never got ID'd, which made me think that attitudes towards IDing for booze sales was rather lax, but when I was in WDW last year, I always got ID'd by CMs, but thanks to me carrying my passport at all times, that's been an non-issue for me, so my recommendation is to always use your passport as ID for booze.

I've always found the alcohol/ID thing very inconsistent in WDW. Sometimes I've been asked for ID, sometimes servers have seen my passport in my hand but haven't asked to look at it, other times I haven't been asked at all.

I don't drive so my passport is my only form of ID. I don't mind carrying it in the parks but it is annoying if I've brought it and no one asks!

It would be amazing if Disney could put some of that wonderful/creepy technology to use for resort guests so we can show ID at check in and have it listed on our account :laughing:
I agree why can they not add a note to your magic band at check in and end the issue of carrying around important pieces of ID.

I agree why can they not add a note to your magic band at check in and end the issue of carrying around important pieces of ID.

Because they'd then need to take photos of every guest, and be able to retrieve the photos at every place that serves alcohol. That would cost time to the guests, and costs to WDW in more iPods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter