All about the Autotrain

Cherylp3,

Thanks, found them listed in the booklet with the tickets. Thanks

Leaving Saturday on the Autotrain! Are there any questions not answered that I could check on for anyone? I would be thrilled to help out someone since I have been helped out soooo much!

Michelle:D

How is the auto train cheaper than renting a car? Am I missing something? Am I understanding this correctly. I live in KY, so I would have to drive to Lorton VA to board. The cost for 3 adults and 2 children (2 and 7) is $1113.60. I can get a rental for a lot less than that and airfare wouldn't be that much more. The auto train sounds interesting but I'm not sure it's worth this price. :confused:

Hi Doris,

I'll answer your question.

Here's the stats of my trip
Cheryl
------------------------
Booked in May - got 25% discount
Leaving on Autotrain 10/31 - Leaving Sanford 11/15
Onsite 11/2 -11/7 Off Site 11/7 -11/15
Tickets for 3 people in Coach section
( stopping in NY to pickup Husband's Grandfather)
Total is - $630 for 3 ppl
Hotel night before - $100
Total is - $730 for 3 ppl
-----------------------------
Here is the cost if I didn't do the Auto train
$374 for Song for 2 ppl
$145 For a rental car from 11/7 -11/15
Total is $519 so far
Transportation from Home to Logan - $90 (towncar)
Transportation from MCO to Disney - $85 (towncar)
Then the total would be $694
-------------------------------------
So in my situation it works out,
I can stop and pick up Husband's Grandfather in NY
I have my own car an no need to worry about how much I need to pack. I get dinner and a movie on the train.
Also helps me since I'm afraid of flying.

What is the difference between LL reserved coach and reserved coach? How are kids in coach?

LL Reserved coach is primarily for Handicapped Passengers.
It is the Lower Level, on the same level as the restrooms.
The LL compartment seats approx 20 people and if you are travelling at a slow time you may be able to spread out.

Also note in lower level each compartment is seperated so in order to walk you have to go upstairs to the main coach and walk through.

Regarding Kids in coach this thread has some really good tips
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363678

Hi, Cheryl--sorry I haven't posted my pictures yet--I have a couple on the roll that's still in the camera--hopefully I'll finish that up soon.

Anyway, I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but AutoTrain has cancelled service tomorrow due to Isabel. I hope this doesn't affect anyone's trip:

http://www.nbc4.com/isabel/2488245/detail.html

Thanks for the helpful and informative thread, cherylp3. :)

I'm planning on taking the AT one-way from Lorton to Sanford in late 2004. Would you (or anyone else reading this ;)) happen to know how far in advance I can book? I've been fiddling with the quote feature on Amtrak's website, but right now I think the most advanced date there that I can check prices for the AT is June of next year.

Again, thanks for the thread. I've got it bookmarked. :teeth:

I think the longest you can reserve is about 360 days out (or something like that!) But it is just less than 1 year from your travel date.

I think it is a Its 11 monts on the website, ( I tried)- I was able to check prices for August 2004
You may be able to book more in advance by calling Amtrak.

Also you are very welcome for the thread, I thought it would be useful to try to get the information all in one place.

Thanks, DVC Chris and cherylp3, for your quick replies! :)

And thanks for taking the time and effort to check how far out you could find rates for, cheryl. I wondered about calling, but from some things I've read here and there, it seems like it may be better to book online? (I read somewhere that someone got a quote through their AAA office, then checked online at Amtrak's site and found it cheaper there. Too, I've noticed recently that there is an additional 5% discount for booking online now for travel up to--I think--April 2004, so I'm thinking I'll just wait a few more months before trying to book.)

Hey, the other day I was browsing the Amtrak website and noticed on the "Rail Sale" page that the AT had a listing for one-way from Sanford to Lorton. I can't recall if you've noted the possibility for a flexible traveler to perhaps get a good deal at some point in that way. Just thought I'd mention it.

Again, thanks for your help. :)

yes both Rail Sale and Amtrak on ebay are listed on the main page. I agree booking online is the way Amtrak wants to go.
I think I had to maybe call in once because my discount wasn't right.

I've noticed Amtrak on eBay as well. I think you've got the AT pretty covered here. ;)

Thanks for the heads up 'bout the possibility of a discount mix-up.

:)

Well, we are back from an awesome trip! Loved the autotrain, although we, the adults did not sleep. The kids did great! The train was much too bumpy for me to sleep and made loud crashes every once in awhile. That being said, on the way home I didn't worry about sleep. Read for a few hours and dozed a little bit the rest of the night.

The food was very good for mass produced food.

I don't know if we would take it again for awhile due to the bumping, but it is an experience that we will not forget! It was a very relaxing way to get from here to there!

Michelle

Just booked the AutoTrain for our Aug, 2004 trip. Our 4th on the AutoTrain. I know it is far out, but the fare was good and our kids LOVE it.

Just an update. My inlaws had to suddenly come up to NY from FL.

The trains from Sanford - Lorton aren't crowded but Lorton - Sanford may be more crowded since the snowbirds are headed home.

They left VA on the 15th.

We accidently flew into those snow birds on our way home this past May;) We didn't realize when we planned our trip that they existed;) The train was packed! Anyway, now that we do we were very careful about the timing of this trip. We're leaving on a Thursday after after Jersey week and Veteran's Day to travel south. Then we're coming back after the Thanksgiving Day rush. Hopefully we will miss all the snow birds(I really love them) but it sure is nice to be able to spread out on the auto train when it is not crowded

We're taking the Autotrain this weekend. A few questions:

1. I think I read that the seats are assigned when you checkin. I'd like to get a seat with an outlet so I can play my DVD player. Can I request that? Do all seats have them? Or is this just going to be luck of the draw?

2. Can you bring a cooler on the train? I'd like to bring water and some gingerale in case I get motion sick.

Thanks so much! This thread has been very helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter