All this talk about how to use/not use the dining plan...

WDWishes

Wishes really do come true.
Made me think. I know to many, this would be an "unethical" way to use the plan and honestly, I would never have even thought of it, if I hadn't read all the interesting threads on the subject here. But I am curious about what people think?

We are a party of 5 and we are going during free dining. One of my kids is 11 so we have to pay for 3 adults and 2 children per day. It's hot during that time of year so we won't eat alot necessarily. My thought was this...

If I have 35 TS credits I could technically use 28 of them for my husband and I to eat at 7 of the 8 signature restaurants, one each night of our vacation...sharing a little bit with my kids (for instance, I won't eat the appetizer or dessert in most cases) and paying OOP to supplement with however much else they need to eat. Kids are well behaved in restaurants and like all kinds of different foods, so that's not really an issue. To them, the counter service and snack each day will be a fair amount of food so I doubt they are going to be that hungry at dinner time.

There are some great restauraunts we have never tried because of the expense and this seems like one great way to try them in one fell swoop. Artist Point, CA Grill, Jiko, Citricos, Narcoosees, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Brown Derby for the Fantasmic Dinner Package...

Opinions?

I think that's a good idea. I know most people won't agree because of the 'honor system' with the "child" credits but I say go for it. You know how much your family could eat and it's your money. Don't order large entrees for each child if you know it will go to waste

it's your plan use it how ever you feel suite your family best.

What you have described is perfectly allowable under the rules of the current Disney dining plan. There is no such thing as child credits, and Disney allows you to use your 35 TS credits in any way you wish. There are only two caveats: 1). If you decide to use any of your credits on your children between 3-9, they must order from the children's menu; and 2). The plan is subject to change.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup2

OP: Don't mean to hi-jack, but I have a similar situation.

We are going in AUG with the free DDP; we have two young dd's who will only ever eat off the child's menu ... Disney considers them adults. So it would be acceptable for me to use TS credit for some of us and pay OOP for the two youngest girls??? Do you just tell the server: "We want to use x amount of TS credits and we would like to pay for the children's meals???"
:confused3

That is a very creative way to maxamize the plan! I say go for it. Personally I don't think I could drag my kids to that many signature meals but if it works for you do it and don't feel guilty.

That is a very creative way to maxamize the plan! I say go for it. Personally I don't think I could drag my kids to that many signature meals but if it works for you do it and don't feel guilty.
I don't know about "ethical" or not since this won't apply to my next trip with FDP - BUT I wholeheartedly agree with Pedlar on kids. While my DS at 10 is at the point where she can appreciate and enjoy some fine dishes in terms of presentation and content and setting, I personally do not think that kids too much younger can/should be found in abundance at the signature restarants.
In fact, DS who is 14, does not apprecaite these things yet - he has a social disability - and in the past I have been unwilling to spend more dollars on a meal I cannot truly enjoy for many reasons.We've stayed at WL 3 times, for example, and I've never been to Artist Point - we do WCC, tho, every trip. This time we're staying at POR, but will likely make a trip over to AP.

Do you really want the kids with you for those restaurants?? Only you know your kids and how well they hold up in a more elegant setting.JMHO:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter