Alleluia!!! Removing pre arrival covid 19 testing is on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear - that will actually make this worse. At least with the current 72-hour window you have both more flexibility and time to scramble if you or anyone in your party tests positive. But within 24 hours? Can you imagine how stressful that will be trying to figure out how to isolate for 10 days in a foreign country? And - please note almost everyone is overlooking this - if you're with family, all the ones who tested negative before will still have to test AGAIN, and if one of them is now positive - which can be very likely, as you are all probably isolating together - the 10 day clock starts once more.

ANY testing to return is a potential nightmare, and I can't imagine most people will ever want to take these chances. And narrowing the testing window to return just makes things even harder.
For me all the ones testing negative go home, only the positives stay behind.

Does anyone know if the SwitchHealth test is valid for proving you had Covid within that 180-15 days prior to travel? Or does it have to be one you took at a pharmacy/medical facility?

We're travelling in March. None of us are sick, but we're cruising (DCL) and we need to test at the port unless we have a prior positive. So I'm thinking of ordering the SwitchHealth ones, doing them, say, next week and if we test positive, take appropriate isolation procedures and not have to worry about testing at the port or to come home again.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it to test if we don't think we're sick?
All of the Switch Tests should work (The test must have been antigen, NAAT, rapid PCR or lab-based PCR. ) to cruise. It's 11-90 days before travel. You would also need a dr. note which states you have recovered.
Coming home would require a NAAT or PCR test between 11 and 180 days.

And that's my hope, I don't travel until end of May so am hoping a further reduction in testing by then... Of course it all makes me feel hopeful that things are stepping more towards "normal", but I'll guess something will come along to take that away sooner or later lol.
Me too! We are travelling in Aug and I hope by then we won’t have to test. But testing determines if I have to take the more expensive flight from YVR, or make the 3 hr drive down to SeaTac for cheaper flight. It’s going to be difficult to find antigen test in Washington because I’ll probably stay the night after landing and drive home the next morning.

I ordered swot
We are 9 , 6 adults and 3 teens , so of course if only teens are positives one negative adult will stay.
We have the same pact… whoever is negative is getting on that plane and going home! Worst case, if only the kids are positive, one of the 6 adults will stay behind with them - likely my mom who is retired or my husband who can work remotely.

Me too! We are travelling in Aug and I hope by then we won’t have to test. But testing determines if I have to take the more expensive flight from YVR, or make the 3 hr drive down to SeaTac for cheaper flight. It’s going to be difficult to find antigen test in Washington because I’ll probably stay the night after landing and drive home the next morning.
Depending how much cheaper the flight out of SeaTac is, it might make sense to order the SwitchHealth tests to take with you. They're only $40 each, and you can take them at any time of the day.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after testing positive to fly to the states? I read 14 days awhile ago but now I can’t find any information. My household is positive and I don’t have it yet and fly out on March 5

Oh dear - that will actually make this worse. At least with the current 72-hour window you have both more flexibility and time to scramble if you or anyone in your party tests positive. But within 24 hours? Can you imagine how stressful that will be trying to figure out how to isolate for 10 days in a foreign country? And - please note almost everyone is overlooking this - if you're with family, all the ones who tested negative before will still have to test AGAIN, and if one of them is now positive - which can be very likely, as you are all probably isolating together - the 10 day clock starts once more.

ANY testing to return is a potential nightmare, and I can't imagine most people will ever want to take these chances. And narrowing the testing window to return just makes things even harder.
You can still do the PCR test at 72 hours if you prefer.

Can someone please remind me how long we would quarantine in the United States if we received a positive test ? Is it 10 days from the test date still ?
We’re just working out our contingency plans and plotting the best back up if any of us test positive.

Depending how much cheaper the flight out of SeaTac is, it might make sense to order the SwitchHealth tests to take with you. They're only $40 each, and you can take them at any time of the day.
I’ve been hearing about this Switch test but have no idea what it is!

Can someone please remind me how long we would quarantine in the United States if we received a positive test ? Is it 10 days from the test date still ?
We’re just working out our contingency plans and plotting the best back up if any of us test positive.
Yes, 10 days.
From the Gov't site:
Previous positive: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a previous positive test result taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada. Counting starts the day after your test.
  • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the first day you could use it
  • January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water

You can still do the PCR test at 72 hours if you prefer.
Yes, and we will - well, not a PCR, as that's not required, but we will continue to use the Walgreens Rapid molecular test. Free results in an hour or so, and good for 72 hours to boot.

My point was and remains this change does little to nothing to make travel easier for the average person.

We were only 4 adults - but the negatives were sent home, the positives stayed. We did this, because the 10 days starts from the day of the positive test. Did not want to risk one of them testing positive later (which did occur - as one tested positive on the test taken at the border on arrival)

Yes, and we will - well, not a PCR, as that's not required, but we will continue to use the Walgreens Rapid molecular test. Free results in an hour or so, and good for 72 hours to boot.

My point was and remains this change does little to nothing to make travel easier for the average person.
100% sure that's the point, they don't want us to travel. The price we pay for traveling is that it's extra complicated for now.

It seems like the change only benefits those with unvaccinated kids under 12.....now they don't have to quarantine for two weeks before returning to school/daycare. Otherwise, it's just a cost savings but changes nothing for us.

Available through Air Canada. You test anywhere you wish (hotel room). $39 rapid test. $149 PCR. They ship them to your house and you take them with you and test via a smart phone with a live agent
Oh well. I’m not flying AC. That would be handy.

Oh well. I’m not flying AC. That would be handy.

You don't have to be flying with them (at least you didn't in the past). If you are an Aeroplan account, you get a discount - https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

There is an option to say that you don't have an Aeroplan number and it just changes the pricing (but you can also just sign up for Aeroplan to get the discount).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter