Am I just CRAZY or does anyone else DREAM about Sleeping in the Castle?

You know, whoever gets selected for the first stay might get interviewed for the Travel Channel--would make a great story!

oh despite the rumors - since the castle was build long after Walt died - I don't think it was ever for him. Now his brother Roy who worked very, very, very hard to build it - might have used it if he wanted to. They preferred the Polyn (I think?)

he died in the 60's - the castle wasn't build until the 70's.

Walt Disney was in on the initial planning of the general layout including some of the resort hotels, but never saw the final plans or the building of Florida project. He died December 15th 1966, but was in pretty ill health before that. According to some of the books I read and the 2hr tv special "Engineering Marvels" on WDW, all that was done was making the land ready for the construction.

In fact the plans for the Florida project (as it was known) almost died with Walt. It wasn't until Roy Disney decided to put off his retirement and go ahead with the project. He was the true hero and the reason why WDW is named after his brother. He didn't want people to forget his brother and named the entire complex after him. WDW opened in October 1971 and Roy died two months later. There was talk of plans of building an apartment of some kind for Roy and his family, but it never happened due to his death in December 1971.

A lot of people like to give Walt all the credit, but his brother was an important part of the success of the Disney company and theme parks. WDW wouldn't be here today as we know it, if it wasn't for Roy ending his retirement, taking charge and giving the go ahead for the Florida project.

It would be wonderful to stay there. You naysayers, would you really say no if the prize was offered to you?

It would be wonderful to stay there. You naysayers, would you really say no if the prize was offered to you?

I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't want to stay there for the whole vacation. To be basically locked down in your room after the park closes wouldn't be a vacation to me. There's no way that Disney is just going to let you out of the Castle and just take a stroll in MK. It would be so cool to do so, but the liability and security issues would probably prevent that from happening. What about if you want to swim before bedtime, like some do.
I use the quiet pool at the Poly sometimes until 1 in the morning if I can't get to sleep after my kids and wife are down for the night. If I want a snack or thirsty, I can wander over to Captin's Cooks at anytime and help myself.

Is there going to be a staff of some type on duty to offer room service? What happens if you want a snack at night or if you need something? I would like to see what Disney will do when the first winner is announced. It will be interesting to see what the restrictions will be.

What if you needed something in the middle of the night, like a roll of toilet paper, and no staff until morning? Roughing it in Cinderella's Castle:rotfl2: Or, worse still, what if the toilet backs up, the lights go out, you need extra towels, blankets, oh, my!

Sounds like that Vincent Price movie "House on Haunted Hill" where 8 dinner guests were locked in a haunted mansion all night. The staff cleared out and locked the place up until morning with the guests....awaiting their fate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter