• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American express insurance

kgarrigos

Mouseketeer
I read a while back about an insurance policy from amex that covers not only your holiday but also car insurance,can anyone give me any info about this and also what does it cover(cdw, sli?).
Also if this is correct how do you go about using it when you go to your car hire company in Orlando as I thought thats how they made their money so they won't be happy about that.
Thanks in advance.

It is the American Express Premium annual policy. More details at www.americanexpress.co.uk You do not need to have an American Express card to take out this policy.

It includes SLI, CDW and loss of rental, but not local taxes and charges. If you decline the insurance offered by the travel/rental company you will be asked to leave a credit card authorisation of $1,500 as a deposit for the car. This does not appear on your statement, but does reduce the available credit on your card. I always speak to my credit card company before travelling to make sure that they will authorise the credit card deposit. Although charging rip-off prices for insurance is one of the ways that rental companies make their money, I've never had any trouble declining their policies for SLI and CDW.

The American Express Premium policy isn't cheap (£280 ish for a family policy) it provides extremely good cover, and with car hire insurance included could save lots of $$$s especially if you visit the USA more than once in any 12 month period.

I belive that Natwest offer a similar policy to its (gold?) cardholders, but others will have to give you details.

Regards

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter