American Idol - popular singing style vent

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
IMHO...

Singers like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey have ruined pop music singing.

Everyone seems to think they have to sound like them and that they have to have all of this vibratto (sp?) in their voice now! Why can't they just sing? Hold a note and sing it? Not go up and down and up and down like they are gargling?

Some of those poor people on AI who obviously couldn't sing in the first place honestly wouldn't have sounded half as bad if they weren't trying to sound like Whitney Houston.

Vent over. Thanks.

Know what you mean. Nobody can just 'sing' anymore. If you were paying attention, Simon, Randy and Paula all called the kids singing 'normally' brilliant. I didn't think they were in fact, brilliant. They were just singing the way nature intended them to sing! I sing in my church choir and in community theater groups. Not a great voice but passable. So, I made a comment to someone in my choir that so and so has a pretty nice voice. Well. This person says to me..."I can teach you how to add that vibratto to your singing." I don't think so, thank-you very much!!! I'll just stay with my untrained normal, everyday voice. I sure do wish these kids would stop singing thru their noses, adding all those runs and just sing!!!!

Did anyone thing the twins who did the harmony number had potential? Simon, Paula and Randy tore those kids up. I personally thought the were as good if not better than the woman who sang the Whitney Houston song - the one Simon asked why she didn't have her own record label.

Of course, I'm not qualified to judge good singing, since I can't sing - but I know what I like to hear - and I'm with you, all that vocal gymnastics hurts my ears! :eek:

I missed the twin guys singing, had to step out of the room but my daughter said she thought they were good.
My favorite were the twin girls from the first night. I hope they make it.

Anyone else think that some of these kids are showing up, knowing that they can't sing to save their lives, just to be on TV as one of the "horrible" auditions??

The vibrato in a voice is the tremulous sound at the end of note holding. The things you're referring to are "runs" and I HATE them! IMHO, most inexperienced singers use "runs" because they CAN'T hold a note for any length of time and stay on it.

I've been VERY disappointed at the lack of talent in the AI shows this week. I can't imagine what the judges are feeling. Perhaps they're showing more untalented singers to grab the audience, and I wish I could have heard more from the candidates they chose to go on, but I guess that's what the future shows are for...

I don't think those male twins were that bad, but I don't even think twins should be a part of the candidates. I don't think they should have chosen those female twins the other day either. Rules are rules. Just like the age limitation etc, they should stick to their rules. I think they're just setting up those female twins against each other for ratings.

We'll have to keep watching (they expect us to, don't they???);)

The things you're referring to are "runs" and I HATE them!
Thanks for clearing the terminology up, FOJMO. THAT'S what I'm talking about!

I personally wasn't impressed by the male twins. They struck me as boy-band wannabes without a lot of substance.
Anyone else think that some of these kids are showing up, knowing that they can't sing to save their lives, just to be on TV as one of the "horrible" auditions??
I HOPE that's it SeaShelley- or else there are a lot of delusional people out there. DH says that maybe some of them were there on a dare - or maybe someone bet them to do it.:rolleyes: They *HAVE* to know that they have no talent, don't they?

I've never watched the show, but I just wanted to say that I agree. It doesn't bother me when the new pop songs are sung in that fashion, I don't really listen to pop music all that much, but it does bother me A LOT when it's done with traditional songs such as Christmas music and the National Anthem. :earseek: This past Christmas I heard "Oh Holy Night" ruined that way. :( I hope I never hear a classic rock song sung that way. Yuck!

The only one I think can do it right anyway is Celine Dion. ;) :p LOL! Just my opinion, it doesn't mean anything. :p

I completely missed American Idol the first time that it was on. My daughter watched it religiously and now we find ourselves taping AI2 so that she can watch the show at a more reasonable time. I saw the local (Cleveland) auditions for the show. I too have to wonder why everybody thinks that adding "runs" to a song does anything more than ruin a perfectly good piece of music. DW Sue and I ended up catching the last hour of last night's show. I must say that I was amazed at what the trio of judges thought was "good" singing.

Yes! I hate when they do that! They make the songs almost unrecognizable! I'm not a big fan of pop music in general. I think another reason a lot of inexperienced singers do those "runs" is because they are chosing to immitate popular singers. *groan* Only trained singers should even attempt them, though I don't care to hear mutated songs even if the singer is good.

I hate those "runs" too no matter who does them, American Idol wanna bes or "professionals." I also think it's funny when they have to move their hands up and down to go with their "singing." :D

I love watching the show and agree about the style of singing, etc...but you know what makes me chuckle is that (please no flaming here, just an honest opinion) Paula Abdul is not a great singer herself, she's a much better dancer/choreographer. She's a talker type singer, know what I mean? I think she goes for the simple type and moves them on to HOllywood.

I sort of agree, Lorix2, but I don't think it takes a great singer to know great singing, necessarily. It bothers me when the contestant challenges the judge that they "don't sing very well" or "couldn't do that song" or "they can't do much better".

Well, the last time I looked, the judge was not the one competing! They keep trying to tell these people that and they don't listen. They wouldn't be questioning the judge's integrity or talent if they voted the contestant to go on to Hollywood. It's like saying a reviewer is just one person's opinion -- that is unless, of course, they LIKE you. Then they all of a sudden know what they're talking about...;)

Totally agree.

I never watched this show till Tuesday night and I couldnt find anything else. Anyone else think its like watching a train wreck??? You KNOW it going to be completely horrible but you cant tear your eyes from it in hope SOMEONE will make it through? lol

Did anyone else love the two girls ( one from eahch night) who sang in a real smokey ( I think Simon called it Dris Day) voice?
WOW that was great IMO.

I would so much rather hear someone who can hold a note than someone who has tryto be someone else.

Oh and how about the French Elvis?? :eek:

That was funny!

FOJMO - I couldn't have said it better...I crack up when the performers beg to differ with the judges, it's definitely entertaining..sometimes more than the awful addition :rolleyes: :o

Originally posted by binny
Oh and how about the French Elvis?? :eek:

OH, that was the BEST (I mean, WORST)! I did feel bad for him, a little, cause he just didn't have a clue!!!

"Singers like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey have ruined pop music singing."

I was just saying this to my DH yesterday!!!
I can't stand how no one can sing a note and stay on it. Always modulating, now. Even while I'm waiting for my son at music lessons, I can hear the vocal students singing in this style. STOP THE INSANITY!

I didn't think the guy twins were as bad as the judges made them out to be, but they also harped on them a little longer than necessary when the twins "rebelled".

The one that I thought stunk was the girl who begged her way into a second chance even though Paula repeatedly said no. I think poor Randy was outfoxed by a pushy young girl on that one. I hope she gets booted - she doesn't deserve to win. Her singing was horrible and the only reason she made it through was due to her incessant whining. :rolleyes:

Normally I don't watch AI, but DD does and like binny said, it's a train wreck and I can't help but check it out when I walk by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter