Amtrak Rail Sale-Train to Sanford or Orlando?

Windjammer

Mouseketeer
With the Amtrak rail sale I can get my family of 6 from Philadelphia to Orlando or Sanford,FL for $396. I can choose to travel to the train stations in either orlando or sanford. Our stay at Disney will be during the middle of our two week trip so proximity to Disney is not important. Rather, we will be driving to/from Homosassa,FL, on the gulf coast about 1 hour north of Tampa.

I have two questions 1) which train station will provide easier access to the gulf coast and 2) which will provide more selection/better rates for a minivan rental. Of course any other insight would be appreciated as well

Thank you in advance your your help

Just a note on the State Road 50 route. While it does enable you to "cut across" to 75 most of it is rural hard to follow in the dark and lots of lights and traffic.

My inlaws live in Spring Hill, I take the Autotrain to Sanford FL and then do the "cut across to 75 to get to Spring Hill.

Hope this helps.
Cheryl

I have taken the regular train to Orlando and the auto train to Sanford. Frankly I don't even know if rental cars are available at Sanford since this is home to the auto train business. I also didn't know regular trains stopped here.

Orlando was fine and easy to get our rental car but I prefer the auto train and having my own car for our use!

Thanks for the advice. I think Rustmanfan is right and it would be better to have our own van with us. Based upon the rental car rates we can take our van with us on the auto train for the same price that we can take the regular train and then rent a van.

Steve

By Auto-Train you terminate in Sanford, of course, but by regular passenger train I'd go on to Orlando, where rental cars are available. Services at the Sanford depot are minimal.

To this end, it should be noted that the Sanford Auto-Train terminal and the next-door Sanford Passenger depot station are two different stations. Those boarding or disembarking by regular train in Sanford do not have access to the Auto-Train station's facilities. Amtrak labor agreements prohibit anything except Auto-Train from using that terminal (though all Amtrak Central Florida trains must pass right by), hence the second station for everything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter