And I think to myself: "It's a wonderful World!" UPDATED: (post 238 & 239)

Great first day. Can't wait to read more :goodvibes

Love the photo of your daughter zonked out on the bed.... think we've all been there :laughing:

We were leaving that next day. That's actually how I had remembered you were arriving on the 25th. I knew someone was arriving the day before we left. :sad1: So sad. I really do miss POFQ! Did September spoil you?

Thank you! As you can tell by my ticker, a little girls trip has been planned for my mother, my Matron of Honor and myself to WDW to check out some of the wedding sites. So exciting! Hopefully the price tag won't kill me! :headache:

I found this time of the year a little harder to work with. The weather was beautiful and I would do it again, but the crowds at MK were horrific and EMH didn't run as late as in the peak times meaning people stuck it out to the very end and what used to be our productive hours at MK were not as easy to work with. I think if we had shifted our trip to start one week earlier it may have been slightly different. I did notice last weekend that the crowds in the other parks were picking up a lot from when we first arrived 2 weeks before though.

A wedding planning trip, how cool! :cool2: Where will you stay to conduct your 'research'? We fell head over heels in love with POFQ so my plans for a split POP/Poly stay next year have been altered to POFQ and just a few days at the Poly.

I found this time of the year a little harder to work with. The weather was beautiful and I would do it again, but the crowds at MK were horrific and EMH didn't run as late as in the peak times meaning people stuck it out to the very end and what used to be our productive hours at MK were not as easy to work with. I think if we had shifted our trip to start one week earlier it may have been slightly different. I did notice last weekend that the crowds in the other parks were picking up a lot from when we first arrived 2 weeks before though.
We really noticed the crowds picking up during our last weekend, when you arrived. The start of F&W and the marathon really packed them in. The majority of our week we walked onto everything. We didn't even need EMH but, of course took advantage of them anyway!

A wedding planning trip, how cool! :cool2: Where will you stay to conduct your 'research'? We fell head over heels in love with POFQ so my plans for a split POP/Poly stay next year have been altered to POFQ and just a few days at the Poly.
We will stay at Pop Century. Since we were initially just going for the weekend and there was still room only discounts, I decided to try Pop (haven't stayed there yet). I left the reservations up to my mother since the reservation system wasn't back up yet and I had to get to work. She got a little excited and booked for 5 nights! :cool1: She said she didn't think we could possibly see all the sites and venues in 3 days... right....;)
I think when we go to DTD, we'll take the boat over so she can see POFQ. I had told her about the boat rides from the resort and that it would be the perfect retirement job for her. She loves riding people around in her boat here.

Love the report and pictures lee. Sorry not been on to add post but have laryngitis at the moment and hv only briefly looked at the board. Glad you liked POFQ i liked it when i visited it from por. Preferred the pool as well. I also found MK busy for some reason and on the 6 th october AK wa unbearable. We left at 12 after only 3 hours. Spent most our time at epcot. Looking forward to reading the rest .

Subscribing to a great trip report!
Love that you ran in to a DISer on your first day - it's always great to bump in to someone from this great community! :thumbsup2

I also found MK busy for some reason and on the 6 th october AK wa unbearable. We left at 12 after only 3 hours. Spent most our time at epcot. Looking forward to reading the rest .

How was it the week before? I think with MK the party nights play a big role in the crowd levels on non party nights for those trying to get the best use out of their MK day on their park ticket. US tickets don't automatically come with hopping and for those on shorter trips it is not always a cost effective or practical option. I think the effects roll out into the other parks to on party nights as people seek out alternative ways to spend their park entrance wisely when MK closes early.

I hope you are feeling better. :hug:

great start :)

Thank you. :)

Subscribing to a great trip report!
Love that you ran in to a DISer on your first day - it's always great to bump in to someone from this great community! :thumbsup2

Welcome aboard!

I agree about meeting another DISer. And she is SO nice too! It :goodvibes I was on such a high after that!

I had sat up late the previous evening transferring photos from the SD cards onto the laptop, but this was our first Magic Kingdom day for the trip and I knew we needed to be there at park opening if we didn’t want to waste the day. We had booked the preferred fireworks viewing for that evening. I knew where it was and it really isn’t a great spot with all the trees in the way so there was no intention of using it, but I booked it as a backup as this was a planned MK day and Wishes was on the cards for the evening anyway.

I should tell you that DD takes absolute ages to get going in the mornings so I started waking her at about 6.45 am. I knew she would want to eat breakfast and there is no point getting to a park for rope drop if you want to go and eat first. It was about 7.30 before I was ushering her out the door and to the food court. Armed with a plan this time to utilise all of our QSDP credits I figured if we used some for shared breakfasts on some of the mornings it was one less meal to get through during the day. There was a big debate as to what to order because I don’t eat eggs or sausage and neither of us eat bacon. Eventually, it looked like snack credits were the way to go in the morning until DD asked if we could get a platter with bits of everything. The trouble was that the Bounty Platter was bacon, egg, sausage ..... I asked if we could order one without the bacon and egg and they were only too happy (albeit very surprised at the request and asked a few times if I was sure) to oblige so we got sausages for DD, a biscuit (Blech! I don’t eat them, but didn’t have the heart to further complicate my clearly unusual request), a pancake and mickey waffles. I eat fruit for breakfast so this starchy stuff, although very tasty, left me feeling like lead after a few bites. The potatoes were so delicious though and they had heaped up plenty for us. In spite of sharing it, we were still defeated by the size of the meal. We did take a picture of it but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Then it was the usual quick trip back to the room to drop the mugs off, collect the park bag and head out to wait for the bus. We got to MK as the park opened. It was mobbed! I was completely unprepared for the crowds that day, which didn’t appear much different to my Easter week experiences. I really didn’t know how to tackle this and was uncertain as to whether my normal strategies would work for us in this season. My view is that a large number of guests who manage to make it to park opening have small children who wake early, deeming Fantasyland a first if you plan to do it. Since that is no longer a priority for us, Tomorrowland is the next place to head. It was uncomfortable to move around Main Street and taking photos was going to be a waste of time so we made our way into one of the shops for DD to look at things and try on hats, although I made it clear that shopping is not for first thing in the morning and we needed to get moving.

100_1348.jpg

Always have to try on a hat
100_1249.jpg

Frontierland was our best option (I hoped it still held true) and it didn’t disappoint. Splash Mountain was walk on but we by-passed it to get a FP for BTMR before going back to ride Splash.

100_1268.jpg

100_1266.jpg

100_1263.jpg

We then went back to hit the standby line for BTMR which had a 5 minute wait, i.e. walk on. It took slightly longer due to a minor delay. A group of three folk in front of us who suddenly decided to stop and have a leisurely photo session in the queuing area, positioning themselves to occupy all available space in the walkway so that the line behind them came to a grinding halt. They were even fiddling with the camera settings with the two camera-less folk barking instructions on how to take the shot. It probably took all of 30 – 40 seconds, but was long enough that a CM actually walked out and came to see where everyone was. She needn’t have bothered. We were right behind them and a moment before the CM appeared, DD piped up: “Mum, tell them to come back at lunch time when the line is long so they don’t get disturbed taking their photos.” Don’t you love it when your kids think out loud on your behalf in public?!

We walked onto Splash again and came back to ride BTMR once more before going to get DD a Mickey Premium Bar. That meant it was time to fish out the baby wipes all ready for the clean-up operation which I predicted, quite accurately, would be in about 5 minutes. We were near to the Liberty Belle and the wait time for the next departure was 5 minutes so we went over and walked straight on. There was a bit of a debate as to where to stand. I wanted to be upstairs and/or anywhere in the sun. DD refused to be anywhere but in the shade. She wilts in the heat. I struggle with the slightest bit of cool and didn’t find it that hot at all. So we found an area on the lower deck with sun and shade and everyone was happy. It’s such a lovely tour along the water and serves as a break and an attraction all at the same time, while offering views of Frontierland from a different perspective.

100_1315.jpg

100_1313.jpg

100_1308.jpg

100_1303.jpg

By now my taste buds were lusting after a dole whip so we made our way to Aloha Isle for one of these, which we split between us. It was now time to point out that we should be heading out of the park as we had a reservation for Whispering Canyon Cafe at 2.20 pm. Some of you may remember I really wrestled with this one as DD, not knowing about this trip, had mentioned many times that she would love to eat there. However I was a little uncertain about the actual meal as the menu had changed since ADR time in April and there was little if anything on there that I thought either of us would fancy eating. So imagine my surprise when she said, “Oh mum, do we have to go? I don’t want to leave here just yet.” Once I was certain that she understood that we still had this reservation and would not be able to get another one this trip, I agreed, with a certain amount of relief, to cancel. I simply did that from the park. So that took care of that dilemma. Now that food had been discussed, we decided to get something to eat at MK and made our way over to Pecos Bills. It was already fairly busy but the line moved quickly and we ordered a chicken wrap with fries to share. Last year they were testing the system whereby you had to have your food before you could get a table. This was not happening now. We walked around for a good 10 minutes, the food now cold, unable to find a place to sit. On our third trek around the outside I was getting really annoyed trying to manoeuvre a tray with a large drink and cold food on it between all the people and I told DD if we didn’t spot a table this round, I was going to abandon the tray of food and we could head over to Columbia Harbor House for a meal. :mad: She looked at me in disbelief, but realised I was serious. Just then she spotted someone leaving and made a bolt for the table. Well done Tiggi!

It always happens here and there, but on this trip I was astounded at the number of people at parks and resorts alike, who would finish their meal and just leave their leftovers and rubbish lying on the table. :sad2:

Feeling rather full after the wrap and our dole whip not too long before lunch, we made our way out of Frontierland. DD wanted to stop and sit somewhere. I saw that there were only 2 families sitting on the Adventureland verandah so I went to find out from a nearby CM how long it would be until Ariel came out again and the answer was about 15 to 20 minutes. Good. It was shady and we could sit down there and wait. So we made ourselves comfortable on the cool floor and sat and chatted to a mum and her little girl while we waited. By the time Ariel appeared the line had snaked through the ropes and extended beyond Aloha Isle. We had made a wise choice! Ariel was lovely.princess: We have meet & greet pictures from when she was in her grotto in her mermaid costume so it was lovely to have something different and this character really stepped into her role perfectly. It was quite interesting seeing the change in DD since our last trip 18 months ago. I watched the few little girls in front of us go up and gaze at Ariel in awe. Then my 8 year old strutted up, smiled and chatted but that sense of wonder in her eyes wasn’t there anymore. The signs were there last year already so it was expected, but as the girls ahead of us were considerably younger the contrast was quite stark. It was now 2.30 pm and we opted to take a break at the resort for a swim before returning for the evening EMH. The park was very busy by this stage and there was little point exhausting ourselves for one or two things now if we wanted to stay late that night so we headed down Main Street, stopping at The Emporium on our way out before getting on the bus back to POFQ.

We were about to take a break at the pool for an hour or so. When we got to our room we found these

100_1343.jpg

DD couldn't remember what they were called and called me in great excitement to say: "Look! We got more puppets!" I thought that was really cute.

Part 2 coming up: Our MK night.

The first week lee we were at RPR and didnt get to MK till day 6 and we went on the evening saw the parade and wishes and left as again so busy. Compared to the other parks it was like christmas eve. We were talking last night and I dont think we did more than a whole day at MK this year in total including the halloween party and I am glad we booked that as we did nearly all the rides that night. Glad we are going november next year as always been a bit lighter on the crowds then(not going TG weekend though)
Another good day for you and I agree about the litter bugs.Noticed it a lot more this year and in CP there was a table where a family were sat and the kids were ripping up napkins and throwing them all over the floor and they jusr left it all there when they left.Even DD commented and said how naughty it was. Unbelievable:confused3

Sound like a wonderful morning in MK :goodvibes
Great photos by the way :thumbsup2

Great photo's I love MK and the towel animals are great. :goodvibes Your daughter sounds so cute.

Thank you. Yes, last year we got no towel animals in 16 days. It didn't bother me and DD didn't notice, but it was really nice to get some this time.

Loving your trip report :) photos are lovely :goodvibes

Thanks. For some odd reason the pics look very overexposed on here, but they look fine in my folder on my laptop as well as uploaded in Photobucket. :confused3 I did have to pay more attention to camera settings this time. Glare from the sun was a big problem which was never an issue to this extent in the spring.

The first week lee we were at RPR and didnt get to MK till day 6 and we went on the evening saw the parade and wishes and left as again so busy. Compared to the other parks it was like christmas eve. We were talking last night and I dont think we did more than a whole day at MK this year in total including the halloween party and I am glad we booked that as we did nearly all the rides that night. Glad we are going november next year as always been a bit lighter on the crowds then(not going TG weekend though)

I don't actually mind it being busy when it's busy season. Parks and attractions are operating at full swing and the hours are longer which allows more flexibility to the day. It was busy, but considering the foregoing, I think it was more perceived crowd levels than actual. You really felt it in the restaurants and walkways but the ride wait times were nothing like Easter time. What I did notice this time is that we never did any rope drop to park closing days at MK, of which in the past we would do several. I would do October again though. At least I have had some experience of it now and may structure our days slightly differently.

Going to finish up the evening part of our MK day now. :)

It must have been around 4 pm by the time we got back to the resort. I was making a point of building in time at the pool – something we had not done enough last time and the pool at POFQ had also been one of the major draws for DD so we got ourselves changed and went downstairs for a dip and some fun on the serpent waterslide for an hour or so before a quick shower and change. We arrived back at MK just after 6 pm and made our way to Toontown. I noticed as we walked along Main Street that people were already staking out their spots for the parade! :eek: Toontown will be gone when we go back and it was more of a sentimental visit than anything else but I wanted a few last photos of the Barnstormer which had been DD’s introduction to Disney’s coasters and the ultimate confidence builder which fuelled her passion for many other rides after that.

100_1355.jpg
100_1356.jpg
100_1357.jpg
100_1359.jpg
100_1358-1.jpg

We walked through the line for the Barnstormer and DD started chatting to a little girl who had some reservations about riding it, explaining to her that it was short and so much fun and that she would love it. They were getting along nicely and I hoped we would be seated behind each other so we could see how they liked it, but we were the last ones through so they had to wait for the next ride. Afterwards DD suggested we waited for them to ride to see how they liked it and I glanced up at the track where a moment earlier the cars had been ratcheting up the climb and to my horror, there it sat: stuck!!:scared1: We did see the family afterwards and the little ones had loved it and they were going again so I felt better. :worship:

Next was Tomorrowland where we took a walk around before DD announced she was famished so we went into a somewhat busy Cosmic Rays. I forget what I had wanted to order but there was some problem with whatever I wanted involving a 20 minute wait so we got DD her kids turkey sandwich with fries, although she didn’t eat the roll.

100_1360.jpg

We took her soda with us and headed for Frontierland where we rode BTMR twice before going to Pecos Bills for me to grab a salad. Again there were issues with finding tables, but not to the extent of earlier in the day. I didn’t want dessert so asked for a water instead. I have never been told no, but the CM said no drinks as a sub; I had to choose a side instead. I wasn’t liking the chicken this year. Either they have changed the recipe or my tastes have changed so I removed it all from the salad and just ate the greens.

100_1364.jpg

By now I was concerned about getting through the hub for fireworks as the parade would be starting in about 45 minutes. Well it took all of that just to squeeze our way to the CP area and ended up just standing on the bridge and watching it from a distance. The crowds were incredible! We had no intention of watching MSEP that night) until the crowds began to move. By this stage we already needed to try and get a spot for Wishes and were toying with the idea of leaving it and trying to get to Tomorrowland instead, but again we got swept up in the dense, slow-moving crowds and sought respite by diving into one of the shops. It wasn’t going to get any better but at least we were on the right side of Main Street now. We battled our way through the Plaza area. It was now 9.45 pm and we couldn’t get through because there was a rope up. Then I remembered I had reserved our viewing spot for that night although I didn’t have the vouchers but at least we could sit there with a bit of space. The CM simply checked my room key and let us in. DD was happy now and we took out our juices and waited. As many of you know, it’s an terrible spot but unbeknownst to us at the time, this was to be our only viewing of Wishes this trip so I am glad we did it. Others in the area were complaining bitterly about the obstructed view. We saw enough. Not the kind of place you want to be if you’re taking photos or video, but certainly fine if you have seen it several times and /or intend seeing it again on the same trip.

It was now EMH, but I have also learnt to just sit tight and wait for the worst of the traffic to disperse so we sat and played a little game while we waited another 15 minutes for the CMs with their blue lights to disappear – my sign that walking civilly is now an option. :)

We went to see Monsters Inc Laugh Floor which DD enjoyed immensely, followed by the Indy Speedway, BTMR a couple of times and then back to Main Street. As you can see, we do a lot of criss crossing in the parks! The crowds didn’t let up at all. With a 1 am closing instead of 3 am, everyone was sticking it out to the bitter end so we did not achieve a fraction of what we have in the past during EMH.

It was now almost closing time.

100_1375.jpg

This meant time for Main Street Bakery to feed my passion for cinnamon rolls. Mmmmmm! :thumbsup2 We used a CS credit to get one of them and a juice and cappuccino. I love the coffee they serve there! We sat and relaxed for a while afterwards. I have learnt not to fight the masses for a bus when the park closes so we left about 1.25 am and virtually walked onto a bus to POFQ. It was after 2.30 before we went to sleep but having anticipated this, the following day was to be a waterpark day with a latish start.

Day 2 rating:

Got it right: :thumbsup2
We took a break from the park at the right time.

Could have done differently: :upsidedow
With a chance for a re-do, we would not have criss-crossed the park in the 90 minutes before the parade. It called for a lot of frustration and I had under estimated the crowd level. Furthermore, had I known how busy it was going to be, we may have just stuck at MK all day with no break, done the parade and fireworks properly and skipped the EMH.

Next up: Day 3 – Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney, including an awesome meal at House of Blues

Sounds like you had a great 1st day, looking forward to reading more

Woohoo :) Lee's TR!!

I've been waiting for this. It's great, I'm really enjoying reading it, and your pics are amazing!

Glad to see you and Tove having the time of your lives. Can't wait for the rest :goodvibes

Brilliant first full day Tiggs :goodvibes I actually love the photo of the clock from Main St, something you'd never really think of taking a photo of, but that turned out really well :thumbsup2

It's a shame they don't have a better viewing area for Wishes for those who have passes, you'd think that having them would be more of an advantage!

Woohoo :) Lee's TR!!

I've been waiting for this. It's great, I'm really enjoying reading it, and your pics are amazing!

Glad to see you and Tove having the time of your lives. Can't wait for the rest :goodvibes

Oh it was fabulous. The best yet! :thumbsup2 I have frequently caught myself thinking if I just stayed there I another month everyone could have an ongoing TR to read :rotfl: I had a hard time leaving Florida this year! :confused:

Subbing :goodvibes really enjoying your report, although it's making me want to go and book another holiday :rotfl:

Subbing :goodvibes really enjoying your report, although it's making me want to go and book another holiday :rotfl:

Thank you. :) Don't worry, I am sitting looking at dates for the next trip myself. Lots of factors to weigh in on this one in terms of choosing when to go so a little less straight forward. I may just revert to our trusty Easter dates, but that would mean 2012 as I can't do one in 6 months. Tough decision. Toying with next Christmas now, but that means forfeiting the hot weather and living in Scotland ..... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter