Another Rumor Circulating - POFQ Closing

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
Read on another site that Port Orleans - French Quarter will be closing after next week. It is an unsubstantiated rumor, but I did some test research:

I just went onto WDW's online booking system and tried to get POFQ for several 3 day periods throughout November. 3-6, 8-11, 15-18, 21-24. In each case it would not give it to me, but indicated availability at all 3 of the other moderates.

Given that I just booked All Star Movies for $49 a night for late-November, I seriously doubt FQ is booked solid for the month of November.

Seems like something is up, not sure what, but something is up. Anybody feel like calling CRO?

It has been reported that Disney has been running 20% capacity, it sure makes sense to close a resort until bookings improve.

:( I have reservations for this hotel in December. My kids will be very disappointed because they will not be able to swim in the pool there. How do I find out that this is not just a rumor? Thanks, Christine

There are many times when port orleans, with its 1000 rooms, is booked up, while dixie landings, coronado springs, and carribean beach, with their 2000 rooms, are not.

d-r, no doubt that happens.

However, I just checked about a dozen other date ranges spanning December, January and February. Guess what? Same result. No rooms but availablility at all 3 other moderates for each and every date range.

Seriously, do you think the POFQ is booked solid from now 'til March?

I have been very critical of some of the cut-backs that Disney is making in the parks and with EE, but I don't have as much problem with this decision if it proves to be true. Sounds like the parks are getting some decent crowds on some days due to locals, so the parks may not be getting hit as hard as we think. However, if resort bookings are down, the resorts are where most of the financial hit is going. In that case, it would make sense to close down some of the smaller resorts or certain buildings in the larger ones, to cut costs.

I would much rather have a few less resort choices and have more going on in the parks, if there could be that trade-off. I understand that people would be disappointed at not being able to stay at their favorite resort, if it was one chosen to be closed or cut-back, but Disney has many wonderful resorts, so I know that at least in my case, I could find an alternative that I could still be happy with. I always have a tough time deciding where to stay on-site anyway because I have so many favorite resorts.

Of course, if it is booked up, that is very interesting indeed, considering all the other decisions that have been made based on the premise of actual and potential low attendance. Guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

Further Update

John Yaglenski (of Intercot) has received word that this is indeed true. Several Travel Agents that he works with have told him that they received communication from Disney this morning.

TxDeb, I agree. I have no problem with WDW closing resorts if bookings are that far down. I guess the individual level of frustration depends on what you do while you are there. The loss of EE, nights at Future World and Spectro impact me a great deal. Others don't care.

Interstingly, I could book a vacation there starting Oct 30th through Nov 2, but I couldn't book from November2 to November 5 or any time after that.

Hmmm.

Incidently, Disneyworld.com now has a big Display for the $59.99 rate on the front page which they did not have last time I checked, The automated program still books at the rack rate though.

I just called my TA to find out if he heard this news, he had not. He assumed that we would just be relocated to PO-Riverside.

What do all of you think? I was looking forward to FQ because it was a small resort. I'm going with a land & sea package. Would I have any recourse to get a better rate on a upgraded room at another resort?

Thanks,
Brenda

Orlando area hotels are running at 29% capacity this month versus 88% capacity for same time last year. It is not surprising that WDW would consider closing a smaller resort. I would think the cost of running a resort at only one-quarter capacity would be more expensive than running a half-filled amusement park.

Originally posted by gcurling
d-r, no doubt that happens.

However, I just checked about a dozen other date ranges spanning December, January and February. Guess what? Same result. No rooms but availablility at all 3 other moderates for each and every date range.

Seriously, do you think the POFQ is booked solid from now 'til March?

Well, I guess this rumor could be true. It seems like it would save money to close down POFQ - there would be money saved on the food court too. I wonder if this had anything to do with the reason for merging dixie landings and port orleans in the first place.

To tell you the truth though, I didn't really believe this rumor. I thought maybe it had something to do with how expedia lists port orleans - french quarter and riverside. I wondered if they were going to update that or something and so the port orleans listing was put on hold or something.

So I just called CRO. I tried two sets of dates that came to my mind - 1/17-1/21 and 5/6-5/12. Sure enough, pofq was booked for the jan. dates, and for any combination of the may dates through cro.

Huh. If this is true I am going to be blown away. wow.

DR

So I'm in my office just now and I get a call from my wife, who is calling to tell me that Port Orleans is closing. Really? I ask, where'd you hear that? "From the dis resort board" she tells me. :)

DR

Considering gcurling opened that thread too.....

I supose you should put as much stock into it as you want to, but The travel agents are telling people now, so it is unfortunalty confirmed.

What else can happen? Maybe I'm jinxing myself, but I'm booked at POFQ from Nov 30-Dec 9. <sigh> Hours are cut. Early entry eliminated. Spectro probably gone. COP closed. I certainly hope they respect my AP rate somewhere else. . . I never thought I would consider cancelling, but I am . . . This is sad. . .

Considering gcurling opened that thread too..... I supose you should put as much stock into it as you want to
Hey! Howsabout a little vote of confidence my good bud, ok?

Hey, I have all the confidence in the world in ya, I just found it funny that he was in essence using a post you wrote that was seen by his wife as confirmation of a different post you wrote seen by him. :)

:( My travel agent called today. Yes they have closed Port Orleans and are now moving us to a different hotel. We are part of the 7 day land/sea package. I hope I get a good place to stay now. This is for the month of December. Christine

I just called CRO regarding our Dec reservations at POFQ and of course the CM denied that they were closing. He even went so far as to call POFQ front desk and was told they were not closing. I hate to be skeptical but I don't believe what the CM was telling me! He kept saying that a lot of untrue rumors are flying around the internet but when I pointed out that EE days and E ticket nights were canceled he said nothing and when I said about restaurants closing he said "Not that many restaurants have closed, a lot of them are going through rehab", come on rehab during Christmas week! I don't think so. I am now worried if they are going to have the Candlelight Processional, Mickey's Christmas party and all the other Christmas things at Epcot, etc. This was the whole reason we booked to go during this time. I guess I will have to wait to see what happens and where they will rebook us. The CM did say we would get a phone call if POFQ closed but I am even skeptical about that. I guess I better just keep reading the DIS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter