Another Travelin' Song: Two Weeks in Orlando! A Summer '09 Trip Report: Updated 1/25

Great plans! That's cool how you are planning on visiting so many of the Disney resorts. That is one of my favorite things to do!

Ok I still can't support the fact that you will be spending the day at Universal, eating at the Hard Rock Cafe and spending the night at CityWalk on my birthday while I'll be stuck on crappy Long Island!!!! :headache: :laughing:

Plans look great, visiting the Disney resorts will give you the taste of Disney you need and you're going to have a blast at the Universal parks!

Hiya Mel, how are you feeling? i noticed on your blog a few days ago you werent to good hope you are feeling better now :flower3:

Your plans sound so good, i wish i was coming along to enjoy the fun :rotfl: but i can relive being in Orlando through your TR :)

i'm here, melissa! i finally made my way over. i'm sort of a pre-TR lurker but i will be here reading along. you know what a disney girl i am so it'll be interesting to see the universal side of things. the last time i was there was 1992 so i'm sure it's changed a lot.

Hey Dawn! I have no idea how I somehow missed you post, thanks so much for coming on over here :goodvibes Universal's definitely changed a TON since 1992 so hopefully it'll be fun to read about all the changes. You have to get over there one day if you get a chance, it really is a cool place :thumbsup2 Thanks again!!

Great plans! That's cool how you are planning on visiting so many of the Disney resorts. That is one of my favorite things to do!

Thanks! That's one of my favorite things to do too, just lounge around the resorts and take in all the sites. This will be my first trip since turning 21 too so it'll be fun to get some tropical drinks along the way ;)

Ok I still can't support the fact that you will be spending the day at Universal, eating at the Hard Rock Cafe and spending the night at CityWalk on my birthday while I'll be stuck on crappy Long Island!!!! :headache: :laughing:

Plans look great, visiting the Disney resorts will give you the taste of Disney you need and you're going to have a blast at the Universal parks!

:lmao: I'll have an honorary drink at the Hard Rock for your bday! Do you have anything fun planned?? We still have to plan something out for this summer! Let me know if you have any ideas. Oh and did you see that little "news story" on The Daily Show about Long Island wanted to secede from the rest of NY? It's hilarious!

Hiya Mel, how are you feeling? i noticed on your blog a few days ago you werent to good hope you are feeling better now :flower3:

Your plans sound so good, i wish i was coming along to enjoy the fun :rotfl: but i can relive being in Orlando through your TR :)

Hi! I'm feeling OK, still really stuffed up and everything. If you read my blog then you know how I was convinced I was dying of the swine flu all this weekend :laughing: I really did think so, oy. Thankfully it's just a sinus infection/cold but it still sucks! Hopefully I'll feel better soon, thanks again!!

The plans have changed a ridiculous amount of times, but we finally have an itinerary we're all happy with. It's a good mix of everything so I'm excited! So without farther ado... the itinerary.

Day 1 - Friday, July 31
  • Leave the house and be on the road by 6:00
  • Stop for breakfast at a rest stop in Jersey
  • Continue driving down I95
  • Stop overnight at the Baymont Inn and Suites in Savannah, GA
  • Order in Pizza Hut for dinner (we normally don't like Pizza Hut, but it's quick and we have a gift card!

Day 2 - Saturday, August 1
  • Have the free hot breakfast in the hotel
  • Check out by 11:00
  • Head over to River Street for a few hours of shopping and taking in the sights
  • Continue the drive down I95 to Orlando
  • Check into the condo, unpack and get settled
  • Food shopping for snacks, drinks and breakfast foods at either Publix or Super Target
  • Dinner at Chilis since there's a new one 10-minutes from the condo
  • Spend the night checking out the pools and relaxing

Day 3 - Sunday, August 2
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Go over to Disney's Fort Wilderness since we've never been, and spend some time walking along the nature trails and seeing the resort
  • Head over to the Contemporary Resort for some sightseeing and lounging, stopping to play ski ball in their awesome arcade!
  • Dinner at PF Changs (we have $75 in gift cards)
  • Spend the night relaxing around the condo/resort and taking it easy

Day 4 - Monday, August 3
  • Breakfast at Ponderosa to try the buffet (you can't beat it for $3.99!)
  • Head over to Disney's Grand Floridian for some sightseeing and lounging
  • Go to the Festival Bay Mall for some shopping and walking around
  • Dinner at Sweet Tomatoes, the salad bar and health food buffet we tried and loved in 2007
  • Spend the night lounging around the condo/resort

Day 5 - Tuesday, August 4
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the morning and early afternoon in the pool and lounging around the condo/resort
  • Head over to Universal in the afternoon
  • Spend some time walking around the Hard Rock Hotel
  • Check out the Royal Pacific Resort since it's the only Universal Resort we've yet to see
  • Dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe
  • Spend the night hanging out at CityWalk

Day 6 - Wednesday, August 5
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the morning relaxing
  • Head to Winter Park in the afternoon to check out the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum
  • Spend some time walking around Winter Park before coming back to Kissimmee
  • Dinner at Bahama Breeze (we've been wanting to try it for a while, and we now have $75 in gift cards!)
  • Spend the night relaxing around the condo/resort

Day 7 - Thursday, August 6
  • Get up nice and early for my mom, dad and I to drive over to the airport while my brother sleeps in
  • My Aunt Stacy and little cousin Ali arrive from New York at 12:30!
  • Head over to the condo for them to relax and unpack
  • Ali will probably spend the afternoon going back and forth between the resort's four pools
  • In the early evening we'll head over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to walk around and take in the sights
  • Have a quick dinner at The Mara
  • Spend the night seeing the animals, listening to the African drummers, and sitting around the fire pit

Day 8 - Friday, August 7
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the day at Universal Studios, with ET as our first ride since Ali's been wanting to ride it for years!
  • Dinner at Finnegan's Bar and Grill
  • Stay for the Universal 360 Fireworks and Laser Spectacular

Day 9 - Saturday, August 8
  • Food shopping at either Publix or Super Target in the morning to restock the condo for the next week
  • Head to the Florida Mall in the early afternoon for some walking around and shopping
  • Dinner in the mall at the California Pizza Kitchen (we have $75 in gift cards!)
  • Head back to the condo to relax
  • Spend the night checking out Disney's Beach Club Resort and walking along the Boardwalk

Day 10 - Sunday, August 9
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the day at Islands of Adventure
  • Dinner at the Latin Quarter on CityWalk

Day 11 - Monday, August 10
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the day at Universal Studios
  • Dinner at Lombard's Seafood Grill

Day 12 - Tuesday, August 11
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Head to Downtown Disney in the early afternoon for some shopping and walking around
  • Late lunch at Earl of Sandwich
  • Head back to the condo to relax
  • Go over to the Polynesian Resort to park before taking a monorail ride around to see the Grand Floridian and Contemporary, stopping to play some ski ball!
  • Head back to the Polynesian to get some snacks and tropical drinks before watching the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes from lounge chairs on the beach

Day 13 - Wednesday, August 12
  • Breakfast in the condo
  • Spend the day at Islands of Adventure
  • Late lunch at Mythos

Day 14 - Thursday, August 13
  • Head to Islands of Adventure to spend the early afternoon finishing up our favorite rides and attractions
  • Early dinner at Margaritaville
  • HEad over to Universal Studios to finish up our favorite rides and attractions
  • Spend the night walking around and enjoying CityWalk

Day 15 - Friday, August 14
  • Buffet breakfast at Ponderosa
  • Head over to the outlet stores for some shopping and walking around
  • Go back to the condo for Aunt Stacy and Ali to finish packing and get ready to go
  • Head over to the airport at 4:30 for Aunt Stacy and Ali's 6:30 flight back to New York
  • Head over to the Chipotle 10 minutes from the condo to pick up a quick dinner after seeing Aunt Stacy and Ali off
  • Quick Chipotle dinner in the condo before packing and relaxing for the night

Day 16 - Saturday, August 15
  • Be out of the condo and on the road by 6:00 AM
  • Spend the entire day driving up I95, stopping for some food at rest stops
  • Arrive home by midnight

Whooo what a ride, I can't wait! Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I will be arriving on July 31 myself. I was trying to find a hotel in the Savannah or Jacksonville....googling Baymont hotel:worship:...ooooo I'll also wrote down some of you ideas as well if you don't mine like breakfast at ponderosa (good price), Bahama Breeze (always wanted to try) and watching the electric water parade......Our trip will consist of univeral (RPR) and Disney (POP).

THANKS FOR SHARING:banana::banana:

I will be arriving on July 31 myself. I was trying to find a hotel in the Savannah or Jacksonville....googling Baymont hotel:worship:...ooooo I'll also wrote down some of you ideas as well if you don't mine like breakfast at ponderosa (good price), Bahama Breeze (always wanted to try) and watching the electric water parade......Our trip will consist of univeral (RPR) and Disney (POP).

THANKS FOR SHARING:banana::banana:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by :thumbsup2 Are you arriving in Orlando on the 31st or stopping overnight? The Baymont Inn and Suites in Savannah is a great hotel! We always wound up stopping in dumps in random, middle of nowhere towns the first two years we drove. We eventually decided to stop overnight in a bigger city and in a nicer hotel, and this one's great! The rooms are huge and really clean. Hope you have a great trip!

Hi! Thanks for stopping by :thumbsup2 Are you arriving in Orlando on the 31st or stopping overnight? The Baymont Inn and Suites in Savannah is a great hotel! We always wound up stopping in dumps in random, middle of nowhere towns the first two years we drove. We eventually decided to stop overnight in a bigger city and in a nicer hotel, and this one's great! The rooms are huge and really clean. Hope you have a great trip!

We will be arriving on the 31st. Need a room for the 30th.

We will be arriving on the 31st. Need a room for the 30th.

Definitely look into the Baymont if you're stopping in Savannah. They have a good deal now too, where you get 20% off is you pay in advance. The room's are only $120 with the deal and the hotel's great!

:lmao: I'll have an honorary drink at the Hard Rock for your bday! Do you have anything fun planned?? We still have to plan something out for this summer! Let me know if you have any ideas. Oh and did you see that little "news story" on The Daily Show about Long Island wanted to secede from the rest of NY? It's hilarious!

Good idea!! Have two for me :laughing: I don't have anything planned yet i keep dropping hints at chris to plan something good for me but we'll see what happens with that LOL

We definitely have to plan something asap! The whole "Guys and Dolls" on broadway thing isnt gonna work because i think its going off. i went to go check ticket prices yesterday and every show said cancelled :guilty: we'll think of something though! I saw a little something about that clip and that it had 3 like meat head guido morons representing LI...is that what you're talking about?

How close is Baymont from the beach. This will my first visit to the Savannah area.

faith

Hi! I'm feeling OK, still really stuffed up and everything. If you read my blog then you know how I was convinced I was dying of the swine flu all this weekend :laughing: I really did think so, oy. Thankfully it's just a sinus infection/cold but it still sucks! Hopefully I'll feel better soon, thanks again!!

Glad to read it's nothing to serious, like swine flu ;) though im not suprised you were worried about it, i dont know what its like in the US but over here its still a bit of a big deal and the first person from the UK died from it last week.
Hope you are feeling 100% again real soon.

Good idea!! Have two for me :laughing: I don't have anything planned yet i keep dropping hints at chris to plan something good for me but we'll see what happens with that LOL

We definitely have to plan something asap! The whole "Guys and Dolls" on broadway thing isnt gonna work because i think its going off. i went to go check ticket prices yesterday and every show said cancelled :guilty: we'll think of something though! I saw a little something about that clip and that it had 3 like meat head guido morons representing LI...is that what you're talking about?

Yea Guys and Dolls closed this past Sunday, it didn't do well. Maybe we can go walk around the village or something and go eat somewhere. And yea that was the Daily Show clip, it was hilarious! I know you're not like that, but family friends out on Long Island are just like that and that clip cracked me up!

How close is Baymont from the beach. This will my first visit to the Savannah area.

faith

I really have no idea. We usually only stop overnight and stay in the city. Sorry!

Glad to read it's nothing to serious, like swine flu ;) though im not suprised you were worried about it, i dont know what its like in the US but over here its still a bit of a big deal and the first person from the UK died from it last week.
Hope you are feeling 100% again real soon.

:lmao: I'm the world's worst hypochondriac ever! It's spread throughout the US but most cases are still in NYC... not even throughout the state but right here in the city so it freaks me out! Hopefully it dies own soon. Thanks so much again! :goodvibes

Yea Guys and Dolls closed this past Sunday, it didn't do well. Maybe we can go walk around the village or something and go eat somewhere. And yea that was the Daily Show clip, it was hilarious! I know you're not like that, but family friends out on Long Island are just like that and that clip cracked me up!

Boooo about Guys and Dolls. Walking around the village and food sounds great. I'd love for you to narrate the city for me since you know it much better than I do LOL

I didn't see that clip but I'll have to go watch it on youtube. I may not be just like that but sometimes when I talk I just realize how strong my accent is so I probably sound a little like them. And I'm sureeeeee I went to high school with TONS of guys like that :laughing: I'll let you know after I watch it

Boooo about Guys and Dolls. Walking around the village and food sounds great. I'd love for you to narrate the city for me since you know it much better than I do LOL

I didn't see that clip but I'll have to go watch it on youtube. I may not be just like that but sometimes when I talk I just realize how strong my accent is so I probably sound a little like them. And I'm sureeeeee I went to high school with TONS of guys like that :laughing: I'll let you know after I watch it

:laughing: Let me know what days are good for you! And believe me, there are a ton of guys like that in Brooklyn too :rolleyes: It's more of an Italian thing than Long Island. I'm Italian and I CAN'T STAND the whole "tough guido" act, ewwwwww :laughing:

Melisssssaaaa! How did I just NOW find this new pre-trippie of yours?! I have no idea, but I'm so glad I did! :goodvibes

Melisssssaaaa! How did I just NOW find this new pre-trippie of yours?! I have no idea, but I'm so glad I did! :goodvibes

Hey!! I was just going to write to you on Facebook the other day, how've you been?!!! I'm glad you found my new report since I'm the pain who's restarted her pre-trip report 3 times :lmao: Thanks for stopping by!

I'm now on board for the 4th version of this PTR.
Too bad about Guys and Dolls-I couldn't get over Lauren Graham as Adelaide, though.

Okay, I have to ask--if you've already explained, I'm sorry, but I can't remember---how did you get your hands on so many gift cards? What a great deal! The money saved will be worth it so you can truly enjoy the City this summer. I know when I lived there, I couldn't not do all the fun things it offers, something new going on all the time!

I'm now on board for the 4th version of this PTR.
Too bad about Guys and Dolls-I couldn't get over Lauren Graham as Adelaide, though.

:laughing: Thanks so much for always checking out my reports! Yea, I hadn't heard anything good about the new Guys and Dolls... I also heard Lauren Graham was really nasty and blew fans off at the stage door. So I'm kinda secretly glad things didn't work out... ;)

Okay, I have to ask--if you've already explained, I'm sorry, but I can't remember---how did you get your hands on so many gift cards? What a great deal! The money saved will be worth it so you can truly enjoy the City this summer. I know when I lived there, I couldn't not do all the fun things it offers, something new going on all the time!

Hey Brook! I'm a member of QuickRewards, a survey site that actually pays really well. I used to use Sunshine Rewards which is big on these boards, but QuickRewards pays more for the same surveys. All you have to do is join and log on when you want. Every day there are daily clicks that get you points that add up. You can trade in these points for gift cards or extra money added to your account. Then there are three daily surveys each day... one is for $1.05 and the other two are for $.80 each. When you complete each survey you get the money added to your account (usually later that same day). It doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up! I made around $600 just from surveys this past year. Not bad for just answering a bunch of questions online!

Then there's Opinionplace.com, a survey site through AOL. You don't need AOL to join though. You usually get a survey or two every week, which pay anywhere from $1.50 to $6.00. I did a bunch of those and I guess built up my loyalty, so they've sent me two focus groups so far. One was worth $25 and one was worth $30, both of which were completed online within an hour or so. All the money I made on QR and OP I'm keeping for myself as souvenir money and savings. Those sites are completely worth it!

Then there's RewardTV, a really fun quiz site. Every day you log on and choose up to five shows that you watched the night before, and answer a bunch of trivia questions about each show and the commercials showed throughout them. You get points for answering correctly, and these points can then be used to go on "shopping sprees," where you trade in points for a limited amount of gift cards. There are two shopping sprees a week, with three different types of gift cards offered each time. So far we've traded in for $20 in Darden gift cards, $10 in Pizza Hut Gift Cards, $5 from Dunken Donuts, and $5 from Target.

The rest we just got from our American Express Rewards Points so those don't really count. We were able to get $50 for Darden Restaurants (Bahama Breeze), $75 for California Pizza Kitchen and $75 for PF Changs.

It takes some time but there are a ton of ways to make extra money online for trips and other fun stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter