aNOTHer trip?!

Joyciemc

DIS Veteran
Anyone else get annoyed by people making them feel guilty about going back to Disney? I know I shouldn't care what others say about MY trip, but it bugs me. They just don't understand that a trip doesn't have to break the bank (especially with no kids) and it IS possible to go more than once in your life. I know we're going on this trip, but I have nagging doubts placed in my head by other people and I don't like it!

I played around with numbers and codes and figured that I can take Eric to WDW for his graduation from Purdue. Just so happens we were there in May, and will thus be going back in January. My reasoning is that one was 2003, and this will be 2004 (barely), so it's NOT 2 trips in one year, right?;) right. thanks for letting me blow of some steam guys, feel better already!

I have folks at work who wonder how we can afford 3 trips every other year(we go 3 times in a yr then skip a yr then 3 more this yr coming up). We don't spend money on other things. We have 1 car payment, a reasonable mortgage and we DON'T have child care costs. That saves us alot right there.

We can afford a new car every 2-3 yrs and a bigger house but we don't need that or want that. We like our toys and vacations more.

We work hard and play the way we want to play.

So tell me again why it's wrong to go more than once a year? You go and have a great time and congrats to Eric. He deserves a trip to Disney!

I've had that response as well. What, didn't you go there already? Again, what's with you and WDW anyway?

Here's the deal! Don't get upset with these people, they just don't understand. I'll bet that the majority that make that comment have never been at all. They don't have a clue! On the other hand, maybe a little envy is involved as well. Whatever the case, if you enjoy it, do it. No one should make you feel guilty unless you owe them a bunch of money. If that is the case, your on your own...lol...
:p :smooth:

My DH is a salesman who is on the road Monday thru Friday. He always stays at Hilton properties and accumulates Hilton Rewards Points. He almost always flies Southwest, therefore he gets Rewards certificates there. His expenses are charged to American Express, so he gets points there too. We are going the end of September for a 4 day weekend, and this is our third visit this year. We also did a long weekend in March, and a week in late April/early May. We have not paid for airfare yet this year, (using Southwest certificates) we have not had to pay for a rental car, (using American Express points) and have stayed at the Hilton on Disney Property both long weekends without having to pay for that. (We stayed at CBR for our week) So while it looks like we are spending all kinds of money going three times in one year, we aren't. Co-workers seem to think we have all kinds of money, which we don't!! We would be crazy not to take advantage of the points or certificates earned. People tell me we should go someplace else for a change, but the thing is we don't want to go anyplace else. If the time comes that we want to, we will, but until then we will keep going back to WDW and we couldn't be happier.

we've been getting that too...we are going in november, our 3rd trip in 2 yrs. we just bought DVC and haven't really told anyone because of the 'Disney AGAIN?' comments.

but THEY JUST DON'T GET IT! some people 'get' disney and some don't....

these are the same people who go down the cape every year :rolleyes: but you don't see me commenting on that.

p.s. i went to h.s. in brockton at spellman :)

The thing that gets me is when their eyes start to glaze over once you start to talk about Disney.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this! It would be nice if I could talk about my trips without getting eye rolls and groans, but that won't keep me from going. I guess we're the ones that know what we're doing and everyone else is missing out!

crazywig- good ol' Brockton, huh? Going to Brockton High was an experience, I hope Spellman was a bit more mellow!

OMG, it's soooo great to know that there are others out there. We have great friends, but some of them actually get a little annoyed when they find out we are planning yet another trip to the world. "Why don't you go somewhere else?" " What's the deal with you and WDW?" This, coming from people who only visited once, for one day, only one park. I tell these people " Don't knock until you've tried, now shut up and leave me alone, or no souveniers for you!!! I agree.....some people get it, some people don't. WDW is the place that makes our vacation dreams come true. I would much rather go there than sit on a beach, burn to a crisp, and listen to my children tell how bored they are.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I have to say I agree. Why is there some moral superiority in going back to the same beach year after year looking at the same grains of sand? Sitting on a beach for more than maybe an hour a day drives me crazy! We enjoy an active vacation with lots to see and do, and WDW often fits the bill.

Looking back I think one of the motivations for keeping this trip a surprise for the kids is because we had to listen to the "You're going again?" comments. My neighbour (who doesn't know we are leaving on Tuesday) just commented to me yesterday...."You know what they say " You go to Disney once, you go again you're crazy"

I asked her who "THEY" were, she changed the subject :rolleyes:

Guess I shouldn't send her a postcard.

Originally posted by melindaandrob
My neighbour (who doesn't know we are leaving on Tuesday) just commented to me yesterday...."You know what they say " You go to Disney once, you go again you're crazy"

Probably caused by spending to much time in the refreshing waters of Lake Erie!

:earseek: :teeth: :crazy: :wave:

We went 3X this year! On our 3rd time...we went without letting anyone know where we disappeard! Then I called when we got there. I just told them that we are out of town. My MIL had to find out where we are. I had to tell. But I didn't tell my mother we were at WDW again.

"But you guys just went there... But you've seen it already... It is just a waste of money... The kids are too small to understand or even remember..." Blah..blah..blah...

The best bet is not to tell anyone until you guys get there. You won't feel guilty cause you're already there. You can't turn around and go back home. You can't turn around and sell back your tickets, you can't turn around to cancel the room reservation cause you need a place to sleep. It's done deal. You're there at WDW...Go and have fun!

We take one big family trip each August and then DH and I each do a separate trip for our own fun. For him it's golfing w/ his dad and uncle, and I try to do a girls only trip with either my mom or his stepmother. People at work laugh at me and ask sarcastically where I'm going on vacation this time. However, whenever one of them wants to plan a Disney trip, guess who they come running to so I can help them out?

We own DVC and as the kids get older, plan on taking more than one trip a year with them, and more than one trip a year with just DH and me;) I think that WDW is ingrained in many people's minds as a "once in a lifetime trip" where they had to save forever and do everything all at once because they are never coming back. These people I think rush through the parks, never really enjoying the atmosphere and ambiance that all of us Disney freaks love. I know people who go to N.Conway, NH every summer for a week. They rent a hotel room for the week, eat out every meal, shop, go to Storyland, Santa's Village, ect. They spend close to $2000 if not more for the vacation, and can't understand how we have the $ to keep going to WDW every year. I don't think people understand how to find discounts for WDW or that the parks and attractions are updated and there is always something new to see.

In short, don't feel guilty, enjoy WDW but come to grips with the idea that there is a whole population of people who are NEVER going to get it. Sprinkle pixie dust on them and then move on!

BTW, my DH went to Spellman and grew up in Brockton. In fact we just moved to Norton in May.

Yeah, we get a lot of comments like that, and we only go every 2-3 years, so hardly EXCESSIVE to my way of thinking! My husband and I always scratch our heads and wonder about these anti-Disney people, espcecially the Jersey Shore crowd. Even if you aren't into the theme parks, WDW is a great resort! Golfing, tennis, boating, parasailiing, swimming, mini-golfing, movies, shopping, nightclubs, DisneyQuest and GREAT restaurants! Restaurants that are KID-FRIENDLY!

However, I must say, that most of the anti-Disney comments I hear aren't about the money, as is the case with some of the other posters, but about the culture, and peole take the moral high ground as follows. "I'd rather take MY kids on a REAL safari rather than a sanitized Disney version" and "I'd rather go to the Louvre (sp?) and see Paris than the COPY in Epcot." You get the picture.... and I often feel a niggling of guilt, for being "uncultured" I suppose. It doen't last long, since the best vacations I've had have been to Dinsey and I plan to keep coming back as long as I continue to get a good value for the money I spend there. And, when my kids are older, I'll see the REAL Rome, too ... in between WDW trips, of course!

We hear it all the time. We will be taking our 2nd trip of 2003 in alittle over a month. We then have 2 more trips to WDW in the works already. 2/04 & 11/04. We really like to travel. So in between trips we tend to not do much. This way we can save for vacations every couple months. People do tend to think it is unbelievable though that we keep going back.

Oh well, there loss not mine-- We found the magic and we are going to keep going back for more!!:D

I have been fortunite enough to have been many other places. I have seen the hanging gardens in Lisbon, the palaces of Madrid. Roamed aimlessly through St. Marks Square in Venice, been inside the ruins and the Sistine Chapel in Rome, the Louvre and Effiel Tower in Paris, Picadilly Circus and the Tower of London. Walked the Strees of Tokyo and Osaka, Japan, the Bahamas, Canada, Vietnam and just about every state in the union. Anyone want to venture a guess about where my favorite place in the entire world is? Hint....A really big mouse lives there!

My point is that all those things exist in the world and although, I have been lucky enough to see them, I could have spent my entire life without doing so and really not have felt cheated. Disney is a place to escape the real world. A place to be entertained and pampered. A place to let your inner child free to explore adventures of the imagination. No one that understands that would ever ask you why?

To get to the real hard facts though, why would you let it bother you when others tell you how to spend your hard earned money. I don't care if they are father, mother, brother, sister or the Pope. What you are doing is healthy for the kids and yourself. Look at the world around you and ask yourself...Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get all those people whose lives are filled with hate and violence and get them to appreciate things like Disney, etc.? I can't imagine a more valuable experience than what you are doing with your children or for yourself. Have fun. Life is short, eat dessert first!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

The people at work don't understand my fascination with Disney, either, and I usually only go about once a year. Well - this year I bought an AP. I just got back three weeks ago. In three weeks I'll be back there with my mom. Guess who's NOT telling the people at work where I'm going? LOL!

It really is so nice to have a huge group of people on here that get it! I thought I was the only one who thought a vacation just to the beach made no sense. I go to the beach on a Saturday, and one day is just about right. I couldn't imagine a week of it!

Go to WDW as much as you can, everyone, and maybe I'll see you there and can greet you with 'you finally got here!', instead of 'again?!'

I've been told countless times that I need to "broaden my horizons" and "get out of my rut" and go somewhere else. *sigh When I was a child, my family used to go away for the entire month of July. We'd go to the eastern and central states in the US and work our way to Disney. Then we'd do more sight-seeing on our way back. Well, now that I'm an adult, I realized something. While I enjoyed all the other sight-seeing on these trips, I realized that these other things we did just built up the anticipation of our WDW visit! Now that I'm paying for my trips, I don't have a month to travel North America! I need to cut to the chase and do what I love! Ideally, I'd like to go on 2 trips a year.... one to WDW and one somewhere new each year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter