Antarctica: Ponant or Quark

goodcat

Earning My Ears
Unfortunately, the ABD journey to Antarctica is too early in the year for me. I do have the opportunity to travel with either Ponant (but not an ABD tour) or with Quark on Ultramarine. I know there are people on this board who do not care for Quark because of previous bad behavior with regard to cancellation. Let me just say that I am now purchasing a cancel for any reason insurance policy for ALL my travel —(and even ABD has been guilty of that bad behavior regarding cancellations as well), so this may not play such a role in my decision. However, I wondered if anyone had ever sailed on the ships and can say anything about the experience. Here are some specific questions:

1. I would not have a balcony on ultramarine. How essential is this for the experience?
2. How is the food on either ship?
3. Any issues with related to language? I know Ponant is French ship line – anybody feel as if they were second class because they were non-French speaking?
4. Has anyone done the helicopter flight with any company in the Antarctic? Is the 20 minute ride you were supposedly guaranteed to have worth the additional expense by traveling with Quark?

Since your comment seems somewhat directed at me due to my horrendous experience with Quark, I will give you my feedback even though you seem to preemptively rebuff it.Quark changed their contract and tried to retroactively impose it on people who had booked prior to the change. But that’s not all, they lied time and again both to myself and to AmEx. Personally I choose not to do business with a company that is deceitful, dishonest and blatant liars because it shows what kind of company they really are. However if you choose to ignore this warning then caveat emptor.

Read the Quark (virtual) contract very carefully (they never sent me a hard copy, just an e-mail copy, which I suggest you print and read thoroughly). They have a clause that states that once they leave port, regardless of how far their ships get, their cruise is deemed to have been completed. What this means is that they could get no farther than the Beagle Channel, turn around and head back to port and their obligation to you would be deem fulfilled. I do not know if all companies have this clause, but I *do* know that Quark has used this clause policy when their cruises fall far short of reaching Antarctica. They are a small company and they do not have the resources that the larger companies do.

There are several people who have experience with LePonant on CC, so why not ask over there?

I have travelled with LePonant (ship chartered by A&K) and found them to be okay. Not sure I would travel with them again, but not ruling it out either (though I most likely wouldn’t). The food was okay, not going to win any awards, but we didn’t starve (well my vegetarian daughter almost did because she got sick of the only veg option being pasta every.single.meal other than breakfast). The ship was lovely and the cabin was really nice, so there is that. There are so many choices other than the 2 companies that you mentioned, I’d do some research and see what works best with your schedule and preferences.

I most likely won’t travel with ABD again due to their treatment of customers during the pandemic. It‘s not just about how they handled cancellations, there is *SO* much more to it.

I feel like a balcony is a requirement when traveling to Antarctica, but I am sure many would disagree.

Food got scarce towards the end of our 21 day cruise (no fresh fruit or veggies, no yogurt, you could tell we were coming to the end of the cruise and it wasn’t the best food-wise).

You are asking about the helicopter ride with Quark. I am sure there are several conditions attached to their ‘guarantee’, so again, caveat emptor. You might get it, you might not and they aren’t going to compensate you if it doesn’t happen for you, because that’s the nature of travel both a) with Quark and b) to Antarctica.

Last edited:
You could look into Seabourn. The Venture ship (newest ship and used for Expeditions) is currently in Antarctica. I've been following along several FB groups I'm on (because we have a Mediterranean cruise with them next summer on a different ship). Loving the photos especially penguins. Seabourn is ultra luxury expect price to match but the ship photos are stunning. Antarctica appears to follow Greenland in which case excursions are at times iffy, nature of the waters and area. The ship has a submarine vessel on board but has not been able to use it nearly as much due to murky, choppy waters.

Here's a photo of the ship from a few days ago:
1669522378777.png

Since your comment seems somewhat directed at me due to my horrendous experience with Quark, I will give you my feedback even though you seem to preemptively rebuff it.Quark changed their contract and tried to retroactively impose it on people who had booked prior to the change. But that’s not all, they lied time and again both to myself and to AmEx. Personally I choose not to do business with a company that is deceitful, dishonest and blatant liars because it shows what kind of company they really are. However if you choose to ignore this warning then caveat emptor.

Read the Quark (virtual) contract very carefully (they never sent me a hard copy, just an e-mail copy, which I suggest you print and read thoroughly). They have a clause that states that once they leave port, regardless of how far their ships get, their cruise is deemed to have been completed. What this means is that they could get no farther than the Beagle Channel, turn around and head back to port and their obligation to you would be deem fulfilled. I do not know if all companies have this clause, but I *do* know that Quark has used this clause policy when their cruises fall far short of reaching Antarctica. They are a small company and they do not have the resources that the larger companies do.

There are several people who have experience with LePonant on CC, so why not ask over there?

I have travelled with LePonant (ship chartered by A&K) and found them to be okay. Not sure I would travel with them again, but not ruling it out either (though I most likely wouldn’t). The food was okay, not going to win any awards, but we didn’t starve (well my vegetarian daughter almost did because she got sick of the only veg option being pasta every.single.meal other than breakfast). The ship was lovely and the cabin was really nice, so there is that. There are so many choices other than the 2 companies that you mentioned, I’d do some research and see what works best with your schedule and preferences.

I most likely won’t travel with ABD again due to their treatment of customers during the pandemic. It‘s not just about how they handled cancellations, there is *SO* much more to it.

I feel like a balcony is a requirement when traveling to Antarctica, but I am sure many would disagree.

Food got scarce towards the end of our 21 day cruise (no fresh fruit or veggies, no yogurt, you could tell we were coming to the end of the cruise and it wasn’t the best food-wise).

You are asking about the helicopter ride with Quark. I am sure there are several conditions attached to their ‘guarantee’, so again, caveat emptor. You might get it, you might not and they aren’t going to compensate you if it doesn’t happen for you, because that’s the nature of travel both a) with Quark and b) to Antarctica.
Thank you for your comments. I did find them useful, and they will probably influence my decisions.

I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience with any travel company. I too am nursing a $10,000 loss with another company. I take comfort in the knowledge that although the company was wrong, I am not fighting for my life and I did not end up getting stuck in north Africa with all airports shut down. The $10,000 hurt – but I didn’t lose my job, I’m not facing devastating financial liabilities for services not delivered, and best of all – I didn’t get Covid. I could go after the money, but I believe this company is shortly to go bankrupt anyway.

I was not directing my comments regarding Quark to you. I merely no longer believe any tour company is able to stick to guarantees made during a very different time in the world. Unfortunately, there is enough leeway in the language of their “guarantees“ to make it possible for them to do the things Quark did to you. You could fight it, but I think they are betting you are not willing to pay for a lawyer to do it.

These days, I will never travel without a cancel for any reason policy and the financial wherewithal to eat 25% of the cost the policy will not cover should the tour company decide not to honor their “guarantees.’

Unfortunately, the ABD journey to Antarctica is too early in the year for me. I do have the opportunity to travel with either Ponant (but not an ABD tour) or with Quark on Ultramarine. I know there are people on this board who do not care for Quark because of previous bad behavior with regard to cancellation. Let me just say that I am now purchasing a cancel for any reason insurance policy for ALL my travel —(and even ABD has been guilty of that bad behavior regarding cancellations as well), so this may not play such a role in my decision. However, I wondered if anyone had ever sailed on the ships and can say anything about the experience. Here are some specific questions:

1. I would not have a balcony on ultramarine. How essential is this for the experience?
2. How is the food on either ship?
3. Any issues with related to language? I know Ponant is French ship line – anybody feel as if they were second class because they were non-French speaking?
4. Has anyone done the helicopter flight with any company in the Antarctic? Is the 20 minute ride you were supposedly guaranteed to have worth the additional expense by traveling with Quark?
I can only speak for Ponant. I enjoyed having a balcony because because nearly 2x a day the captain would interrupt and say look outside right now for whales, scenery, etc. However this isn’t a must; the ship is small enough you could hustle to a viewing area pretty fast.

Ponant food is better than DCL but definitely smaller in portion size. Of course this is a matter of opinion.

We had no real issue with the language. The only issue we had was with a room service order that we had a difficult time communicating with the person answering the phone. Definitely did not feel second class but perhaps the majority of people being from the states played a difference? Maybe one family spoke French on my trip.

If you do Ponant, consider their newest Icebreaker class. That itinerary looks totally awesome.

Hope that helps.

All ABD trips also have the complained upon language in your waiver and promise to indemnify disney. (The You cited below means ABD)

"if any participant, staff, contractor, or supplier has COVID-19 or any other communicable or infectious disease symptoms, or was exposed to COVID-19 or any other communicable or infectious disease, I may be subject to quarantine as directed by You or local law and the Trip may be delayed, interrupted, or terminated as a result. In such event, the Trip shall be considered to have been fully performed as if there had been no delay, interruption, or termination, and as if the Trip were completed and the responsibility for You or any Supplier to provide further services shall cease without any liability on the part of You..." (my emphasis added). I have begun booking new travel with Tauck, thank you very much.

.... I have begun booking new travel with Tauck, thank you very much.

FWIW I did the Tauck trip to Antarctica in early 2020 (just before COVID). It was an amazing life-changing trip and Ponant (le Boreal) was just a fantastic experience. I made a few long posts about this trip in another Antarctica thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

FWIW I did the Tauck trip to Antarctica in early 2020 (just before COVID). It was an amazing life-changing trip and Ponant (le Boreal) was just a fantastic experience. I made a few long posts about this trip in another Antarctica thread, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
A little off topic but we're sailing on Le Boreal in July; any tips for life aboard? Are the curtains black out thick or should we bring clips to keep them closed? Find any nice little hangout spots off the beaten track? Was laundry cost prohibitive?

What time of year did you sail, and were you able to stick to the original itinerary or were you still rerouted and how did they handle the process as far as keeping you in the loop? Thanks! :)

Are the curtains black out thick or should we bring clips to keep them closed?
The L’Austral is a sister ship. The curtains were pretty thick and the overlap several inches, so they wouldn’t separate to let any light in. The cabin was dark with the drapes drawn.

The L’Austral is a sister ship. The curtains were pretty thick and the overlap several inches, so they wouldn’t separate to let any light in. The cabin was dark with the drapes drawn.
Thank you! I don't expect we'll get much darkness in Svalbard in July so this was making me worry. :)

A little off topic but we're sailing on Le Boreal in July; any tips for life aboard? Are the curtains black out thick or should we bring clips to keep them closed? Find any nice little hangout spots off the beaten track? Was laundry cost prohibitive?

What time of year did you sail, and were you able to stick to the original itinerary or were you still rerouted and how did they handle the process as far as keeping you in the loop? Thanks! :)
My apologies for taking so long to reply!

Life onboard the ship is pretty casual and quiet. It's very comfortable with ample space for everyone. Everything is really well organized - the nightly briefings in the theatre, the organization of groups for going ashore in zodiacs, meal service, activities for at-sea days, sizing and assignment of your coats and boots, etc. etc. On days when there are shore excursions, you will find they pass quickly and you will be pretty happy to go to bed at the end of the day. We were NEVER bored.

The curtains are heavy and overlap a bit to ensure your cabin is nice and dark - no worries there. But you might want to bring a few clothespins anyways. It was pretty common to hang wet clothes on hangers each day, and hang the hangers from the air vents near the ceiling of the cabin - and clothespins can help with all that. You will find that you will be drying out a few things a few times a day (assuming a shore landing in the morning and one in the afternoon).

You will find that the ship is pretty cozy overall without feeling crowded. The main lounge is always a good handout spot with some nice little sitting areas tucked away in the corners - perfect for a quiet cup of coffee, etc. Another great spot that is off the beaten track during the day is the Panoramic Lounge on deck 6 (along with the Library just off the Lounge). I found it pretty quiet up there most days. And in the evenings, we'd be at that same Lounge for a glass of brandy before turning in for the night. Also, there is the Panoramic Terrace just in front of the Lounge, which is great place to take in the sights with no one around first thing in the morning if you're an early riser.

I cannot recall the cost of laundry, but I recall that we used the service at least once and it was reasonable.

We sailed at the end of January/beginning of February. The weather was decent although mostly overcast with the temps sitting just around freezing (0C).

We mostly stuck to the itinerary. Mostly. Our journey from Ushuaia was very calm across the Drake Passage, so we arrived at Antarctica ahead of schedule. Because of that, the Guide Director and Captain decided to push further south into the Weddell Sea for a look around. We had one stop that did not allow to go ashore as planned because ice had blown in overnight. Instead, we did zodiac tours of the coastline at that stop. At another place, we added an extra excursion that day just because it was possible due to weather and schedule. Changes really depend on weather, for the most part. You will be kept up-to-date of any changes through your week. The Captain and Guide Director made daily announcements on the PA system. There was a nightly briefing in the Theatre to discuss the day's events and to outline the plan for the next day. As well, we had a daily newsletter delivered to our cabin.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
It absolutely does, thank you! One last question when you mentioned zodiac groups; did you find it was better to be in one of the first boats to leave, or did it not ultimately matter much? If you DID want to be in the first was that easy to do, or was it more difficult?

Thank you again!

It absolutely does, thank you! One last question when you mentioned zodiac groups; did you find it was better to be in one of the first boats to leave, or did it not ultimately matter much? If you DID want to be in the first was that easy to do, or was it more difficult?

Thank you again!
Hi - for Ponant in Antarctica, we were broken down into four groups, and each group was assigned a specific time to report for loading into the zodiacs. We found that didn’t matter much when our group was assigned to report for loading. Sometimes we were second and sometimes we were fourth; based on how they did the groups, ours was never called first. Blue & Red were grouped, with blue first & then red. Yellow & green were grouped with yellow first & then green. There was a time separation so the first two groups were back as the second two groups were called. They’d alternate which went first each day, blue or yellow.

Was laundry cost prohibitive?
Here’s the laundry sheet from our January sailing on the L’Austral. They say to allow 48-72 hours turnaround but I think it was quicker than that. I know on the last day we could send something out, I decided to send my parka. I gave it to the cabin attendant just before 2pm cutoff & had it back same day 4-5 hours later.

83CAD604-D37B-4DE2-BEEF-3F73D88440C9.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter