Antarctica!

Argentina was moved from Level 2 to Level 3 for travel yesterday, even with an 83% full vax rate in Buenos Aires-

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires (December 29, 2021)

Event: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Argentina due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. The Department of State has also issued a Level 3 Travel Advisoryrecommending that prospective travelers reconsider travel to Argentina at this time.

Argentina was moved from Level 2 to Level 3 for travel yesterday, even with an 83% full vax rate in Buenos Aires-

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires (December 29, 2021)

Event: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Argentina due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. The Department of State has also issued a Level 3 Travel Advisoryrecommending that prospective travelers reconsider travel to Argentina at this time.
At least it's not level 4. :( Hopefully it doesn't get any worse!

Sayhello

Hello, world! Our family is scheduled for the December 20 cruise, and I just noticed that ABD’s health protocol page differs from the email guidance we received last week. In addition to the PCR test required prior to entering Argentina, the site states that a PCR test must be taken within 72 hours of boarding. Also, the Antarctica cruise includes a second antigen test on Day 2.

Do we think this is older guidance that has been superseded by the email?

We are going on the January expedition. Please share when you return any suggestions

I’ll do my best to share useful info. When we were planning our trip, I scoured the Internet to find trip reports wherever I could dig them up. But there’s just not a tremendous amount of detailed information out there. So here goes…

Packing tips

First, our cruise went from Ushuaia to Antarctica and back - no Falklands. So that informs some of my packing advice. For instance, we both packed heavy boots and never wore them. On the ship, we most often wore sneakers we could quickly pull on and run around in. And, of course, on land we wore the supplied muck boots. There was zero need for my own boots.

As for clothes, we both packed too much. Our daily go-to outfit ended up consisting of: base layer of Merino wool (very important) followed by sweatpants and a sweatshirt topped with waterproof pants and a jacket. For zodiac cruising, I’d wear my “puffy coat” topped with the supplied jacket from Hurtigruten. But for hiking on land, I left the puffy jacket on the ship. It just wasn’t needed. I can’t tell you how many photos we have where we’ve removed our coats entirely and are walking around just in sweatshirts. When it’s mid-30s and sunny with no wind, you’re plenty warm in Merino wool and a sweatshirt.

I packed two sets of the Merino base layer for each of us, and we definitely needed that. I also packed two pairs of waterproof pants for both of us. We could have done with one pair each, but it was nice to have two. And here’s why…

After your third day or so surrounded by thousands of penguins, you notice the smell clings to your outwear. The supplied jacket, waterproof pants and muck boots got the worst of it. It was nice to have two pairs of pants so that we could rinse them well and let them dry to help with the smell. Pro tip - we left our muck boots in the hall right outside our room when we weren’t using them. The smell definitely sticks to them.

We also both relied on balaclavas at times on the Zodiac. Sometimes, we didn’t need them. But when you’re zipping through the wind and snow is blowing into your face, it feels good to have that cover over you.

Things I didn’t need: special polarized sunglasses - bought them and never wore them; tons of special camera equipment - mostly used our iPhones and Canon and got spectacular photos; expensive outer gloves - wore them once and then relied on normal weight gloves and silk glove liners (these were great on the Zodiac for picture taking while keeping something on your hand).

Packing really does come down to layering. If you get the base layer right, that will go a long way toward keeping you warm. And if your trip is like ours, you’ll find it’s very rarely frigid. It can be really cold on the zodiacs and on open deck when the ship is moving, but when you’re hiking around, we found it mostly pleasant.

Off to bed for now. I’ll do another post tomorrow with info on surviving the Drake. And I’ll share some of my favorite memories. You are going to love this trip so much!

Thank you so much for sharing

We are going on the January expedition. Please share when you return any suggestions

We are back from our cruise, and it was awesome! We had a total of six tests on our trip:

PCR test prior to leaving the US (to be able to enter Argentina);

Disney-performed PCR test on the arrival day at the Sofitel Hotel;

Ponant-performed rapid antigen test on embarkation day in Ushuaia;

2 rapid antigen tests performed onboard the ship;

Last rapid antigen test at EZE to be able to re-enter the US.

I'm not going to lie--each of these tests caused *a lot* of stress, but we made it--good luck to all on the January cruise!

We are back from our cruise, and it was awesome! We had a total of six tests on our trip:

I'm not going to lie--each of these tests caused *a lot* of stress, but we made it--good luck to all on the January cruise!

Thank you so much. Welcome home! If you have any tips - I am so afraid I’m going to forget something and there will be no store to run and pick it up lol

Did anyone on the trip test positive for any of the tests given, and if so what happened?

Wow, what an amazing adventure we had! I highly recommend the BA Escape as well, my family all agrees that it was a great way to start the adventure. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Did anyone on the trip test positive for any of the tests given, and if so what happened?

Yes, pre boarding the ship I know of two families that had a family member test positive. One family had to quarantine in BA and the other had to quarantine in Ushuaia.... really heart breaking for them. On the ship, one family was quarantined towards the middle/end of the cruise because a family member tested positive. All tests performed by ABD/Ponant were "no news is good news" meaning we didn't get test results except for the final test which we received a printed result to provide to airlines. My family did not take a test at EZE as the last ABD/Ponant test sufficed for the airlines.

I think it is interesting that someone tested positive during the cruise and got quarantined. Do you happen to know if they did contract tracing. Seems like if they were negative at the beginning and positive somewhere midway to the end then more then that particular family would have been involved. BTW - my biggest fear is testing positive at some point and not being able to take the trip. Already starting to quarantine and we are still three weeks from our trip. I love the picture.

I think it is interesting that someone tested positive during the cruise and got quarantined. Do you happen to know if they did contract tracing. Seems like if they were negative at the beginning and positive somewhere midway to the end then more then that particular family would have been involved. BTW - my biggest fear is testing positive at some point and not being able to take the trip. Already starting to quarantine and we are still three weeks from our trip. I love the picture.

Thank you! Santa was our Expedition Manager, Alex. He was such a wonderful guy, so full of excitement and knowledge of the Antarctic.

All of the details were kept very confidential, most of the info was through the teen grape vine.... after the positive test (captain made an announcement that 1 person tested positive) we all had another test 48 hours later and it was announced that everyone tested negative.

Thanks for the update. I am so excited for this trip to start and my husband and I are doing the pre trip in Buenos Aires as well. Can't wait to hear/see more from the group that just got back.

The Parka-
I know the parka sizing was an issue prior to our trip. Don't worry about it..... I think they use the pre trip information just to get a basic idea of what people think they will need. During the Drake passage transit you will be called to the theater by deck and parkas will be distributed, you will have the opportunity to try them on and change sizes if you need larger or smaller. I wore a base layer and two additional layers underneath when on a zodiac tour (it's cold on the water with the wind), on landings it depended on the weather.... it was snowing and cold on some and we were bundled up and then it was 40 degrees on one and we were warm and took our parkas off so it really depended on the day.

The Boots-
Same as parkas, during the Drake passage transit boots are distributed and you are called to the lounge by deck.

Walking Poles-
Ponant does not have them to borrow, you need to bring them or they have a few for sale in the boutique. We brought one pair of poles and didn't end up using them. Many people did.... probably one or two landings I wished I had them but I survived.

Gloves/glove liners- I mostly wore my glove liners as they allowed for better dexterity and were easy on and off to take photos. They do get very wet and then cold.... take two pair so you have a dry pair for each zodiac tour/landing of the day. If you can find a truly waterproof glove liner buy it! I didn't wear my gloves at all, I used them to protect my cell phone which ended up being my primary camera.

Thank you so much! How was the attire on the ship? Should we just pack casually? Did you by chance do the kayak tour? Is there anything you wish you had brought or done? Sorry for all the questions. I am so anxious I am not going to have what I need. Thank you for the heads up on the walking stick. Praying for no covid and trying to isolate now to prevent anything. Thanks for taking the time to share!! Love the pic!

The Parka-
I know the parka sizing was an issue prior to our trip. Don't worry about it..... I think they use the pre trip information just to get a basic idea of what people think they will need. During the Drake passage transit you will be called to the theater by deck and parkas will be distributed, you will have the opportunity to try them on and change sizes if you need larger or smaller. I wore a base layer and two additional layers underneath when on a zodiac tour (it's cold on the water with the wind), on landings it depended on the weather.... it was snowing and cold on some and we were bundled up and then it was 40 degrees on one and we were warm and took our parkas off so it really depended on the day.

The Boots-
Same as parkas, during the Drake passage transit boots are distributed and you are called to the lounge by deck.

Walking Poles-
Ponant does not have them to borrow, you need to bring them or they have a few for sale in the boutique. We brought one pair of poles and didn't end up using them. Many people did.... probably one or two landings I wished I had them but I survived.

Gloves/glove liners- I mostly wore my glove liners as they allowed for better dexterity and were easy on and off to take photos. They do get very wet and then cold.... take two pair so you have a dry pair for each zodiac tour/landing of the day. If you can find a truly waterproof glove liner buy it! I didn't wear my gloves at all, I used them to protect my cell phone which ended up being my primary camera.

Sorry - one more question - how was the Drake Passage?

Thank you so much! How was the attire on the ship? Should we just pack casually? Did you by chance do the kayak tour? Is there anything you wish you had brought or done? Sorry for all the questions. I am so anxious I am not going to have what I need. Thank you for the heads up on the walking stick. Praying for no covid and trying to isolate now to prevent anything. Thanks for taking the time to share!! Love the pic!
It was very casual on the ship. Most wore jeans, fleece pants, leggings, and even shorts at meals.

We did go kayaking and loved it. Each kayak trip is unique due to weather and location. There were three days and morning and afternoon sessions…. One session was cancelled due to weather. If there are white caps they will not go out. All that reserved in advance were accommodated. There is a “test” prior to kayaking in the lounge with the kayaking team and nurse to be sure you can get into and out of the kayak. You are provided with a dry suit and crocs to wear during kayaking as well. Hmmm, not sure why it’s sideways!

Sorry - one more question - how was the Drake Passage?
[/QUOTE]

The Drake Passage was survivable! I was really worried about it… it was a Shake and not a Quake on the way there. On the way back it seemed better but pretty bad in the middle of the first night. I wore a patch and also took Dramamine… pretty much napped a lot. The rest of my family just did a patch. DD 15 just Dramamine. Meal times were entertaining as the waves hit the windows.

It was very casual on the ship. Most wore jeans, fleece pants, leggings, and even shorts at meals.

We did go kayaking and loved it. Each kayak trip is unique due to weather and location. There were three days and morning and afternoon sessions…. One session was cancelled due to weather. If there are white caps they will not go out. All that reserved in advance were accommodated. There is a “test” prior to kayaking in the lounge with the kayaking team and nurse to be sure you can get into and out of the kayak. You are provided with a dry suit and crocs to wear during kayaking as well. Hmmm, not sure why it’s sideways!
View attachment 635906
This is AWESOME and it is making it even more real!! LOVE LOVE this picture! So beautiful! Thanks, again!

I would echo the advice on the casual wear on the ship. On the way to Antarctica, I found the ships temperature to be very warm (almost too warm), so defaulted to t-shirts and shorts most days. It became more comfortable later in the trip, but I still wore some combination of light pants, t-shirt, and fleece. I'm glad I packed extra t-shirts as I came within 1 day of running out (without doing laundry).

For the kayaking, make sure you take a Buff or similar neck protector. In addition, if you can find a pair of lightweight waterproof gloves to wear under the kayaking pole gloves. you will be much happier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter