Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting January 1, I will join your sad club. We are coming to Kissimmee for a couple months because my work is remote and so is my kids school. My wife and I have our APs but Disney won't let me buy any for my two kids. So frustrating.

Really interesting, my little dude didn't need a ticket when we bought our last APs, so it was only my wife and I that had them. When we just bought brand new ones, they sold us another for the little dude.

Really interesting, my little dude didn't need a ticket when we bought our last APs, so it was only my wife and I that had them. When we just bought brand new ones, they sold us another for the little dude.

I am guessing you had better luck because you did not even need an AP for him last time. I could have bought APs for the whole family last year, but did not. That said, I will certainly ask again when we get on site.

So I sent Disney my fourth email, trying to find out why I can't buy an annual pass. I basically got the same old email about Annual Pass sales being paused. However, I specifically asked why someone without an annual pass can buy one (if they cancelled their annual pass) but someone without an annual pass can't buy one (if they didn't have one before COVID). Here's the gist of their email:

"At this time, the sale of new annual passes is temporarily paused. However, current Annual Passholders may still renew their pass. Annual Passes that expired during closure period, or have been cancelled during the closure period, after March 16th, 2020 may be eligible for an Annual Pass.

Each sale is decided on a case by case basis. If you place the request to purchase a new Annual Pass, and are eligible to purchase a new Annual Pass, our Annual Passholder Team can set up a call-back request."

That's a pretty arbitrary and illogical policy. A person who cancelled is the same as me, does not own an annual pass. In fact, I would argue that someone who cancelled and demanded a refund cost Disney money. But for some reason that I cannot fathom, someone who cancelled and got their money back can now buy an annual pass and I cannot. I can even understand if your annual pass expired during COVID. Sure, let them buy new ones. But if you made the decision to cancel your annual pass, why do you now get a new one when I cannot get one? I just moved here a few months ago, so I didn't really have the ability to own an annual pass before because of my geographic location (due to my military career). Why I'm shutout from "the club" now, I don't know. It really irks me and is counter to my sense of fair play when a somewhat arbitrarily designated group can get something, and others cannot.

And look at that last section of what I posted in quotes. Talk about wiggle room, that's the most absurdly non-committal response I've ever seen. IF you make the request, AND you are eligible under our really not public decision making process, we MIGHT call you back. BUT we'll make the decision on a case-by-case basis. Thanks for clarifying Disney. I now know that I think I might not be eligible for an annual pass. Day 112 of living in Orlando without going to a Disney park.

First off - I AGREE - its a pretty stupid policy, if people are aware of whats going on at WDW and in the world in general, and the still want to buy an AP, KNOWING they might not be able to get into a park on any given day .... let em.

BUT - I think you are wrong - there is a difference, we've had APs for several years now, we cancelled only because our passes would have expired without us being able to go to the parks (Our gov't prohibits travel to the US) and because disney was offering to refund the difference in value of the AP due to the closure. There was a -need- for Disney to address the fact that people had outstanding annual passes they were unable to use. But, that commitment to being an AP holder is something we've given for ... 6 years now. I'm ok with Disney giving preference to previous AP owners for new APs - I know this benefits me, so I might have an implicit bias, but lots of other organizations do the same, Hockey, soccer, baseball teams give preference to new Season Ticket holders to last year's ticket holders, some even have more advanced schemes for things like playoff tickets that the length of your season tickets gives you even higher preference.

When you say "put your information on file" do you mean they agreed to credit the money you spent on tickets toward a future AP? I asked if they would do that last time I called ticketing and could not get a straight answer. If so, I feel a little better about buying tickets for our stay in FL in early 2021 at least up to the cost of A

Yes, if an when APs go on sale. They wouldn't give us the money back for park hopping, which we were ok with. They said if APS do not go on sale before our year is up, we will lose that money, which is roughly $500.

We did have to go to guest relations two times before they would agree to do this. The first time at DHS, they made us call DVC. DVC Members services said they could do nothing and told us to call Ticketing. Ticketing sent us back to guest relations. The second time with guest relations was at Disney Springs, and they agreed to do it.

I really wish we just had purchased AP vouchers. We get APs every two years or so. We are DVC and generally get 3-4 trips for one AP. Let it lapse for a year or so, and then start a new one. We usually just purchase vouchers, but for some reason this year, I decided to try and save a few dollars by getting Undercover Tourist tickets and converting them.

We have a vacation at the end of this month and also in March. I was told that if AP's are available by our March date, that we can apply our current tickets towards them, but the AP will expire next year in Nov, as that is the date of our first use of the tickets. Does anyone know how the photopass would work? I know that AP's get free photopass. I would like to have it for this trip, but if I purchase it outright will I get a refund if I purchase the AP in March?

I agree .. it is silly to NOT sell a product to customers who want one. I don't think offering more APs COST Disney anything besides the worry that the parks are going to get "too crowded" because of all the local AP holders.

I just don't get it .. the price of most APs are so high you need to go at least 12 days in two separate trips (for the Platinum passes) to have Disney "lose" money (if you bought normal tickets stand alone). Yet without getting a decent "deal" on tickets via AP .. some people are avoiding the parks altogether. Again .. Disney seems to be operating with the "Maybe come visit and spend money please .. but not really" attitude. They want to be open, yet they don't at the same time.

Not sure if I mentioned it here. I called the AP line to try and buy an AP for my family because I have one un-activated AP in my account right now (for my daughter). So even though I have one AP in the family .. they still won't let me buy more to have a consistent ticket base for the entire family. (My plan was to turn the 5-day tickets I have for myself, wife and son into APs (before COVID)) and got on 2-3 trips over the course of a year.

The fact remains that demand for APs will be much lower than normal simply because of all the COVID stuff and restrictions (and the perks from an AP aren't there (park hopping, parking (if staying at a resort). So I guess I don't understand the business decision for withholding them .. meanwhile other theme parks across the country offer insane incentives to actually get people to buy their AP (including Universal, Six Flags and smaller parks (like Tweetsie Railroad here in NC).

The business decision for witholding them is that they cannot support the demand in the parks. The illogical is why those who canceled are being welcomed back.

They want people to spend full price for a ticket than to get annual passes. For me I haven’t went to universal or sea world for around 18 years because of having a annual pass at wdw. What I do is get a annual pass make about three trips during that time than take about a year and a half off and do it all over again. I’m going to wdw in December but for only 2 nights going to Hollywood studios never seen Star Wars land. Than I’m going to universal for five nights. If wdw would of had annual passes I wouldn’t be going to universal. End of January I’m going back to wdw. Maybe only 2 park days. Probably go to universal one day and might even go to sea world. Other places are making out because you can’t buy a annual pass for wdw. But they want the full price of people buying a ticket with the limited capacity that is going on now.

First off - I AGREE - its a pretty stupid policy, if people are aware of whats going on at WDW and in the world in general, and the still want to buy an AP, KNOWING they might not be able to get into a park on any given day .... let em.

BUT - I think you are wrong - there is a difference, we've had APs for several years now, we cancelled only because our passes would have expired without us being able to go to the parks (Our gov't prohibits travel to the US) and because disney was offering to refund the difference in value of the AP due to the closure. There was a -need- for Disney to address the fact that people had outstanding annual passes they were unable to use. But, that commitment to being an AP holder is something we've given for ... 6 years now. I'm ok with Disney giving preference to previous AP owners for new APs - I know this benefits me, so I might have an implicit bias, but lots of other organizations do the same, Hockey, soccer, baseball teams give preference to new Season Ticket holders to last year's ticket holders, some even have more advanced schemes for things like playoff tickets that the length of your season tickets gives you even higher preference.
I understand what you're saying. But, those sports teams, I don't think, give preference to someone who cancelled their Season Tickets in the middle of the season. Maybe they do, but I don't think so. I understand rewarding loyalty, but if that's the argument for not selling me an AP, I would question the loyalty of someone who requested a refund. That's not meant as a criticism as I would have done the same thing, but I wouldn't have expected Disney to sell me an AP before anyone else in the future. I personally think that Disney should have just offered to put all APs on hold during the shutdown, including monthly payments for the APs if not paid in full. You know those refunds had to cost more than just the money refunded. Bank fees, credit card fees, salaries of cast members to communicate with AP holders and issue refunds. Disney has to have come out with less cash from the cancel-refund-resell cycle.

My family and I had APs for several years, but my latest duty stations didn't allow for easy access to Disney World, so we didn't buy them the last few years. And we've been going since 1986. I guess only near-term loyalty is rewarded at Disney.

And, please, I hope I haven't come off bitter at you or anyone else who cancelled. I fully support anyone doing what they have to do and taking advantage of whatever is offered them. I just don't like that Disney has created this AP club and they aren't accepting new members.

The business decision for witholding them is that they cannot support the demand in the parks. The illogical is why those who canceled are being welcomed back.

I don't know that I can agree with that. As far as I know (and that's not very far, ha ha), Disney has no restrictions on the number of day tickets they will sell, right? Couldn't I buy 365 day tickets right now? That would give me the same potential access to the parks as an AP, but for a heck of a lot more money. Maybe they wouldn't allow me to buy that many day tickets, but it seems like without a restriction on day ticket sales, the restriction on AP sales due to demand and capacity concerns falls flat. Disney still controls park capacity, so as someone above said, if I'm dumb enough to buy an AP now, knowing that I may not be able to get into the park on any given day, that's on me. Disney, take my money.

I don't know that I can agree with that. As far as I know (and that's not very far, ha ha), Disney has no restrictions on the number of day tickets they will sell, right? Couldn't I buy 365 day tickets right now? That would give me the same potential access to the parks as an AP, but for a heck of a lot more money. Maybe they wouldn't allow me to buy that many day tickets, but it seems like without a restriction on day ticket sales, the restriction on AP sales due to demand and capacity concerns falls flat. Disney still controls park capacity, so as someone above said, if I'm dumb enough to buy an AP now, knowing that I may not be able to get into the park on any given day, that's on me. Disney, take my money.

You'd also think they'd want the cash from people buying and then activating in the future. I'd like to buy one before they raise prices again but probably won't start using it until sometimes in 2022. I'm sure some gets saved til it's used or some weird accounting but I'm sure they could also use the money now.

I'm moving to Orlando in a month and would like an AP. I have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a day ticket since I'd like to go all the time. And I won't. I'll be holding out until they sell APs again. Until then, Universal can have my money.

Yea that is a bummer. We want to get down there some day as well. And the AP was always one reason (weather first) we looked forward to doing so.

Do you mind sharing any move details? Like where and what pricing is doing? I hear its gone up. Good luck and congrats. :flower1:

They must just thinking the AP bucket is constantly emptied and filling Park capacity.

Flooding that bucket with more users would likely really restrict availability.

Hoping they can increase Park capacity soon so they can sell more. :hyper:

I understand what you're saying. But, those sports teams, I don't think, give preference to someone who cancelled their Season Tickets in the middle of the season. Maybe they do, but I don't think so. I understand rewarding loyalty, but if that's the argument for not selling me an AP, I would question the loyalty of someone who requested a refund. That's not meant as a criticism as I would have done the same thing, but I wouldn't have expected Disney to sell me an AP before anyone else in the future. I personally think that Disney should have just offered to put all APs on hold during the shutdown, including monthly payments for the APs if not paid in full. You know those refunds had to cost more than just the money refunded. Bank fees, credit card fees, salaries of cast members to communicate with AP holders and issue refunds. Disney has to have come out with less cash from the cancel-refund-resell cycle.

My family and I had APs for several years, but my latest duty stations didn't allow for easy access to Disney World, so we didn't buy them the last few years. And we've been going since 1986. I guess only near-term loyalty is rewarded at Disney.

And, please, I hope I haven't come off bitter at you or anyone else who cancelled. I fully support anyone doing what they have to do and taking advantage of whatever is offered them. I just don't like that Disney has created this AP club and they aren't accepting new members.

Not taking anything you say as bitter :)

I mean, I do think its different, if one of those sports clubs for instance put their season on hold for months and months, I could very much see them offering a cancellation/refund policy to current season ticket holders, but then offering them first crack at the next season as well. I am sure you are 100% correct that the refunds cost more than just the refund alone. But I generally can see why Disney might do this, trying to offer some security and a sort of welcome back to their previous AP holders who were inconvenienced or put off Disney's handling of the whole situation. Lets not forget this was all a complete crap show to start where it didn't seem disney had a clue as to what they were doing about annual passes and wasn't really communicating with AP holders at the time. There was a LOT of frustration for AP holders when this all went down.

Yea that is a bummer. We want to get down there some day as well. And the AP was always one reason (weather first) we looked forward to doing so.

Do you mind sharing any move details? Like where and what pricing is doing? I hear its gone up. Good luck and congrats. :flower1:

They must just thinking the AP bucket is constantly emptied and filling Park capacity.

Flooding that bucket with more users would likely really restrict availability.

Hoping they can increase Park capacity soon so they can sell more. :hyper:

But then you guys can get Florida Silver passes !!! Oh the DREAM ! I am still a bit miffed they removed this from DVC owners to buy ... ;(

If only you could see me roll my eyes on the above, It is all about planning. My wife and I renewed our AP's in October. We went on a 7 day trip in early Nov, each day in a park. We have trips already scheduled in March and in May, all the days already booked in a park. Would I prefer to be able to not have to plan which park we go to several month out, yes--but just like masks this is the new reality. I will save a boatload of money by Not buying day tickets -and it does not hurt that I am a DVC member so I get a discount the on APs.

I need some advice. I have 6 day hoppers from a cancelled vacation in May. I have a trip planned for early December (5 days) and also one for March (6 days). I have contacted ticketing and they said that IF AP's are available in March, I can upgrade my PH's to AP's (even though I will only have 1 day remaining on them). But, I cannot downgrade my current tickets and remove the parkhopper feature without losing a day because changing the ticket will make it date limited and I would have to use all 6 days now.

SO- would I be better off keeping the tickets I have and taking the chance that AP's will be available by March to upgrade them to AP's
OR-Should I just buy 5 day, 1 park per day, now and save the PH's for March? If I do this, I won't be buying AP's at all.

I really, really want the AP's so I can take more trips though the year. What would you do? Would you take the chance that AP's will be available by then?

But then you guys can get Florida Silver passes !!! Oh the DREAM ! I am still a bit miffed they removed this from DVC owners to buy ... ;(
I do not believe DVC Members ever had the option to purchase a Silver Pass.
That said, I’ve been wrong before... :teeth:

I need some advice. I have 6 day hoppers from a cancelled vacation in May. I have a trip planned for early December (5 days) and also one for March (6 days). I have contacted ticketing and they said that IF AP's are available in March, I can upgrade my PH's to AP's (even though I will only have 1 day remaining on them). But, I cannot downgrade my current tickets and remove the parkhopper feature without losing a day because changing the ticket will make it date limited and I would have to use all 6 days now.

SO- would I be better off keeping the tickets I have and taking the chance that AP's will be available by March to upgrade them to AP's
OR-Should I just buy 5 day, 1 park per day, now and save the PH's for March? If I do this, I won't be buying AP's at all.

I really, really want the AP's so I can take more trips though the year. What would you do? Would you take the chance that AP's will be available by then?
It is no real answer but I would delay making a decision until immediately before your December trip. So much can change so quickly.

Now that hopping is returning, and cancelled AP people are finally starting to get their refund checks, maybe new AP sales won’t be far behind? 🤞🤞🤞
Let’s hope! We asked politely this morning at the DS Ticket Center whether we could upgrade our Gold APs to Platinum to cover our blocked-out December visit with the family and were politely told no. But, she said, maybe Disney will change it tomorrow - the CMs have no way of knowing.

At least we’re able to use the extension to cover this trip we’re on now, and we have regular tickets we bought to make park reservations matching the rest of the family, so we’re okay. I’d just rather pay for the AP upgrade and save the tickets for another visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter