Any quilters?

I love your King Size quilt! I have two kids so most of my quilts have been "cute" instead of traditional. I have a Halloween Wall hanging and a Christmas Wall hanging, tee shirt quilts, photo quilts, lots of baby quilts, etc. A few years ago my husband's "stepmom" was visiting me and looked at my quilts and kind of went "oh, so you can't do traditional?" Well, I can't ignore a challenge so this was the traditional quilt I made.

IMG_7119_zpscc45578c.jpg

Talk about getting squares to match up! But, my "traditional quilt" was still made with Christmas Fabric.

So my "dream" is to have time and do a true traditional bed quilt.

Thanks for sharing your quilts!

You certainly achieved the "challenge"! Your quilt is beautiful.

The king size I made was about as "scrappy" as I've ever allowed myself to get. lol

Oh I wanted to share. When I am matching squares I pin not only the seam I'm going to sew but I match the sides, square off and pin an inch or so down each of the sides too, even though I'm not sewing there. I have been finding that this is helping keep the fabric from stretching out of shape while sewing and keeping it squared better. And I have been playing with the placement of the stitching seam line sometimes a slight to the left or right of where your supposed to sew gives it a better chance of being in square later.

So long as you square as you go, and your seams are a consistent 1/4", you should always end up square. It's when you vary this, every "add on" compounds as you work out.

Do share some of your pictures too!

I've been meaning to take some pictures but I keep forgetting. I just started a new diet and exercise and we are potty training my son so life is kind of crazy right now lol

Leger13 said:
I've been meaning to take some pictures but I keep forgetting. I just started a new diet and exercise and we are potty training my son so life is kind of crazy right now lol

Sounds like my life! DS turned 3 last week. Trying to convince him not to go outside in the freezing temps. "See sun!" To keep his energy down, he gets to walk on my treadmill. My diet is stalled.

Leger13 said:

Sounds like my life! DS turned 3 last week. Trying to convince him not to go outside in the freezing temps. "See sun!" To keep his energy down, he gets to walk on my treadmill. My diet is stalled.

I try and quilt but not too good with the binding part. I LOVE to make rag quilts. I have made several embroidered Disney rag quilts for fun....

Wow! Y'all have made some beautiful quilts!

I haven't had time to quilt in several years, and it looks like it will be a while before I have time to finish the last one I started. Sigh! I'll live vicariously through this thread until then.

Wow! Y'all have made some beautiful quilts!

I haven't had time to quilt in several years, and it looks like it will be a while before I have time to finish the last one I started. Sigh! I'll live vicariously through this thread until then.

Welcome! pixiedust:

It's a very slow moving thread......sometimes not moving at all. lol

Oh, I hope not!! I'm working on a milky way quilt for my sons graduation. I love it and the pattern suits him. I wish I had more time to actually work on it though!!

I quilt, do costumes, and collect fabric and sewing machines...

I did have some of my quilts on a different thread, but got a new laptop that is much smarter then I am.

Been piecing quilts since I was 2, acording to my mom. I remember sewing 9 patchs at 4yo, that is still not finished...my oldest UFO (Un Finished Object).

I've taught at some schools, and had a quilt at the Quilt Museum in Paduaka where I got to do a show and tell how I made it. It was a 3D piece with a ton of little doll figures on it, and part of a National tour from the Gibbs Museum of Art a dozen or more years ago...

I think the most important things I have learned is that if I don't like a design, change it!
Match colors using the little dots on the selvage on good fabric...but for movement and intrest don't overmatch your colors!
If it aint working, put it aside. UFOs are our friends.
Done is Good! Don't worry if it isn't the "right"way to do something, but sew your seams as well as you can, iron more then you want to.
I ALWAYS pre wash fabric, silk, cotton, linen, wool, velvet, ALL of it. And I set the colors.
Iron fabric before cutting it out...and after sewing...and before you sandwich the batting/backing...and sometimes more then this....I hate to iron.
If you can afford a class take it, but most teachers like to learn also, so ask questions and share any different ways you have of doing stuff..
Buy the best fabric, sewing machine, batting and so on you can afford. But don't be afraid to use any special fabric you might own or find. I love thrift store finds....

Great thread! nice to so others keeping it alive!

I quilt, do costumes, and collect fabric and sewing machines...

I did have some of my quilts on a different thread, but got a new laptop that is much smarter then I am.

Been piecing quilts since I was 2, acording to my mom. I remember sewing 9 patchs at 4yo, that is still not finished...my oldest UFO (Un Finished Object).

I've taught at some schools, and had a quilt at the Quilt Museum in Paduaka where I got to do a show and tell how I made it. It was a 3D piece with a ton of little doll figures on it, and part of a National tour from the Gibbs Museum of Art a dozen or more years ago...

I think the most important things I have learned is that if I don't like a design, change it!
Match colors using the little dots on the selvage on good fabric...but for movement and intrest don't overmatch your colors!
If it aint working, put it aside. UFOs are our friends.
Done is Good! Don't worry if it isn't the "right"way to do something, but sew your seams as well as you can, iron more then you want to.
I ALWAYS pre wash fabric, silk, cotton, linen, wool, velvet, ALL of it. And I set the colors.
Iron fabric before cutting it out...and after sewing...and before you sandwich the batting/backing...and sometimes more then this....I hate to iron.
If you can afford a class take it, but most teachers like to learn also, so ask questions and share any different ways you have of doing stuff..
Buy the best fabric, sewing machine, batting and so on you can afford. But don't be afraid to use any special fabric you might own or find. I love thrift store finds....

Great thread! nice to so others keeping it alive!

Wow! The Quilt Museum is an hour away from our home. My mom wants to go one day, but with her in NCarolina and us here...Travel just hasn't been in the cards.

I just bought a bunch of fabric. Making a quilt for my husband's home away from home. Starting with a 24 x 12 inch block that I am doing a counted cross stitch design of a semi on. Then I will build around it from there. Hoping to finish by father's day (and our WDW trip). Good thing he's on the road and can't see the UFO,

Wow! The Quilt Museum is an hour away from our home. My mom wants to go one day, but with her in NCarolina and us here...Travel just hasn't been in the cards.

I just bought a bunch of fabric. Making a quilt for my husband's home away from home. Starting with a 24 x 12 inch block that I am doing a counted cross stitch design of a semi on. Then I will build around it from there. Hoping to finish by father's day (and our WDW trip). Good thing he's on the road and can't see the UFO,

:wave: Hi neighbor! I'd love to see the quilt museum. I was in Paducah a few years ago for the Hummingbird Festival at the Land Between the Lakes but didn't get to the museum. I'm an extreme novice sewer/quilter wannabe. I just bought a sewing machine and have a teacher lined up next month. I can't wait to pick a design and buy material! I've been reading and researching and fondling fabrics. I feel possessed by this idea::yes::

Where in SC are you idofabric? Very impressive to have had a quilt in Paducah. Someday I hope to just GET there to the show and museum.

Glad to see others joining in on the thread. Seemed it was dying a slow death and I was about to give up talking to myself, as I wasn't really getting interesting answers. :lmao:

Bubba, can't wait to see your milky way quilt.

Well, this summer is probably out for big trips. We're going to WDW and later Wichita in August. Plus have to pick up the college kids and their stuff.

But, it would be great to get together for a lunch during one of the shows. We could get tshirts!

I love reading the Elm Creek Quilt books and the idea of a bunch of quilters getting together like that.

I have to rip out my cross stitch. I was doing it on cotton with the Tear Away grid. Only problem was I kept getting knots in the back. So, I am going to rip and do it again. The squares were so tiny and now I'm going to not make the crosses--diagonals only. My vision is in need of reading glasses. :3dglasses

Where in SC are you idofabric? Very impressive to have had a quilt in Paducah. Someday I hope to just GET there to the show and museum.

I'm about 27 miles up from Charleston, in Summerville. Great little town, with 2 wonderful fabric stores, one a quilt shop that has been voted one of the top in the USA. People, Places and Quilts. And then there is a fab all around fabric/machine store that has the only repair man that has ever been able to keep my sewing machine running when I do a show...6 to 8 weeks of 5 to 14 hours a day of sewing...and if I'm trying to get a quilt done it can be more. That's Sew and Sew. We also have a Joann's. So we are really, really lucky. And we are only 4 hours, 20 min from Mary Jos in Gastonia, NC!

I haven't done a lot of private quilts lately, been doing several charity ones, and had my right knee replaced 2 years ago...not good! And my left foot rebuilt a few times. That cuts into sewing time. And into WDW time!! Hard to stand still in lines...but I'm getting more done!

I'm also glad there is a quilt thread. There was one a few years ago, it died also...but quilting is a learning curve I don't think I'll ever get through learning about! I can play with color, fabric, thickness, threads, yarn...dye the fabric, the batting ribbion...rick rack...I have a sewing room that I've outgrown. Can't even walk into it now! Lately I have haughted the thrift shop down the road. I love getting Saris from India, and imported silk and hand dyed cottons for a few dollars! Fun to work with! And we have a buy the pound Goodwill that had tons of mens ties I got about 15 for under $5! silk, and linen and a few old ones for my son's collection! Great for Crazy Quilting!

I'm about 27 miles up from Charleston, in Summerville. Great little town, with 2 wonderful fabric stores, one a quilt shop that has been voted one of the top in the USA. People, Places and Quilts. And then there is a fab all around fabric/machine store that has the only repair man that has ever been able to keep my sewing machine running when I do a show...6 to 8 weeks of 5 to 14 hours a day of sewing...and if I'm trying to get a quilt done it can be more. That's Sew and Sew. We also have a Joann's. So we are really, really lucky. And we are only 4 hours, 20 min from Mary Jos in Gastonia, NC!

We are looking into relocating in the next 5-7 years. We've checked out Holly Springs NC and still have yet to check Greenville SC (which I'm leaning towards because it's closer to the mountains), but it will depend on what we see when we get there next year. I'm trying to avoid the extreme heat, yet move south. (This years' vacation is the southern Caribbean cruise in September on the Magic.)

I didn't even think to scope out fabric stores ahead of time in either area, or a guild.

Glad you are here and participating in the thread. When I started it, I thought.....ya never know (as the NY lottery man says). Perhaps post some pictures of your work. ;)

I check fabric stores out everywhere! I know the closest Joann fabric to WDW, and the quickest way to get there from which resort we are staying at...and I have been known to take my sewing machine down there to finish a quilt, or costume for MNSSHP, more then once! :rotfl2: Friends that go down each Oct with us ask ahead of time if the machine is coming...
There are a few nice quilt shops in Jacksonville, if you drive and really need a pit stop, for you know, stuff...

It gets a little less warm in Charleston area then WDW in the summer...but not a lot less! We came here in 92 from the Cal. desert...taken me this long to get almost use to the humidity...:rolleyes1

Anyone here use software to design with? I beta tested EQ version 3=4 years ago, they needed a complete computer moron that could sew to test. I like a lot of the features it has. Anyone use one of the other design ware programs? If so how do you like it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter