• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any roller coasters that are too intense?

jkattk

Mouseketeer
So the last time I visited magic kingdom I was fine on big thunder mountain and a bit unsteady after space mountain but survived fine. However, my son talked me into trying rip ride rocket this weekend at universal and I hated it more than I’ve ever hated a ride experience (even that time as a kid that I was stuck upside down, hanging by the lapbar, for a full five minutes on the pirate ship at our local theme park). So now I’m worried about rock n roll and Everest. I’ve never been to Hollywood studios or animal kingdom. Are those or any others super intense? Can anyone compare them on a scale of big thunder mountain to rip ride rocket?

Space Mtn., Rock'n'RollerCoaster, and Expedition Everest are the most "energetic."

I would recommend trying EE first. It is a bit more intense than BTMR because there is a portion that goes backwards and there is one pretty big drop, but it doesn’t go upside down at all. If that goes okay, then think about trying RnR. The good thing about RnR is that it is so fast it will be over before you know it, lol. But imo RnR is the most intense.

Space mountain is a bit much for me and I will not ride it again. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Everest is ok. The ride is great until it goes backwards in the dark and then it is too much for me. I will not go on RnR because it goes upside down. Everest I think would be fine if you are ok in the dark and going backwards for a short time. I get too disoriented in the dark and then feel sick. I also need to see where I am going. I am a big wimp when it comes to rides and wouldn't go on splash for a long time because of the drop. I still hate the drop but love the ride. The drop is over so quickly I can handle that.

RnR and EE are intense by Disney standards. I have always been lukewarm about RnR, mostly because I am short and find the restraint painful (my head bangs around too much, hitting the restraint). EE I used to love, but seem to have something going on with my inner ears now that makes me feel a little ill for a few minutes after riding. I still ride it at least once a trip though. But nothing at Disney comes even close to Rip, Ride, Rockit at Universal in my opinion. I rode that one, and will not ride it again. Ever. For me, there was nothing fun about that ride, other than getting to choose your song for the duration of your ride. Like you, I hated it more than any ride experience I've ever had.

EE is smooth. After I ride RnR I swear I'm never going on it again because it's so jerky, I think my head is smacking against the constraint. ToT is too intense for me, won't even consider it.

Just watched a video of Rip, Ride .... the 90 degree vertical is a no go for me.

My head also bangs around on RNR. I find the constant monitoring of trying to keep my head back in just the right the position I get the least amount of painful bumping around interferes with the enjoyment of the ride. I do love Everest, Space and Thunder.

I would say RnRC is more intense, but smoother than BTMRR. I would ask to sit in the front of the train though. It definitely seems jerkier in the back. We rode it twice last time. First time in the front and I was fine. Second time in that back and it gave me a headache.

EE the part that goes backwards does me in. Some people do fine with it, but it's a problem for me.

RnR is the only really intense coaster on property-- it's fairly jerky, starts off with a pretty fast launch, and has multiple inversions (it's the only coaster on property that goes upside down, at least until Tron opens in a few years). RnR is one of the few coasters that would consistently make teenage-me a little dizzy by the end-- I haven't ridden it on my last few trips, and I'll usually ride just about anything as long as it's not focused around a big vertical drop.

Everest would be second on that list (but not even close to RnR, IMO). It doesn't go upside down, and doesn't have any particularly large drops, but the segment where the train goes backwards can mess with some people. (FWIW, Everest is my favorite coaster anywhere-- YMMV.)

Everything else is pretty tame-- Space Mountain slings you around a fair bit but isn't particularly high-speed-- although it can feel faster than it is since it's in the dark. Primeval Whirl can mess with some because it spins (it's a fairly standard Wild Mouse otherwise). BTMRR's a bit bumpy but otherwise nothing remarkable (it's the only coaster that my mom will consistently ride, although we did get her on Everest once and I think she was okay with it). Haven't ridden Slinky Dog yet, but I hear it's pretty similar to BTMRR in intensity, and everything else on property (7DMT, Barnstormer) are easy kiddie coasters.

Any coaster (except PW, I suppose-- it doesn't have a back) will be jerkier/bumpier and feel faster in the back-- if you're concerned about intensity, ask for a seat towards the front.

I'm a roller coaster junkie but I have some trouble with the backwards part on Everest. It makes me dizzy, especially if I ride back to back via short waiting with single rider. I think there is a difference in intensity of that backwards feeling if you're in the certain sections of the coaster (not sure though). There is one large drop where at the top is where they take your photo. Everest seems to have a slinging burst by burst motion, if that makes sense. RnR gets going fast... I think I saw once that it's the fastest Disney coaster. There is 1 upside down in the very beginning and 1 corkscrew. After that initial 0 to 60ish burst, the ride seems to be much slower throughout, and the overall rides is extremely short at something like 1 min in change I think. I noticed that the very back of RnR is very jerky and I've learned to request any other car if I get placed towards the back. Many people can't handle ToT either due to it's repeated drops. Was surprised at how fun Slinky Dog was, despite being a family coaster that's similar speed to 7DMT, but more hilly.

Both RnR and Everest are much faster top speed wise than the MK mountains, but I enjoy Space Mt the most because of the sudden quick jerks and bumps... although sometimes, I think I'm going to get a hernia.

Do wish there were more intense coasters but understand it's Disney and not Busch/Cedar Pt, etc. Looking forward to Guardians ride. If Tron is a clone or near clone to Shanghai, it will be extremely family friendly as well (modest burst in the beginning that's less than RnR and a slow moving theme/music ride).

Braver than me! You couldn't get me on Rip Ride Rocket! Everest is a little more intense than BTMRR but the track is smooth (that is my issue with Space - just the jerkiness of it). If you can do the rocket you can do RnR - it is similar but no large drops just an intense sling shot start (if you did Hulk at universal the start is similar).

Depends what you find intense.

Some people can't stand big drops, while others can't stand inversion, while others dislike "rough" coasters.

Nothing at WDW is as intense as MOST coasters in Six Flags or Cedar Fair owned parks. Those beasts that drop you hundreds of feet at neckbreaking speeds.

Rock n Roller Coaster is the only coaster that has fast speeds and loops. It's not as intense pre-ride because you can't see what the track looks like :).
Space Mountain is jarring with sudden twists and turns .. IN THE DARK .. so you can't brace yourself for them.
Everest has probably the biggest drop in all four parks but I don't recall it being 'instense'.
Barnstormer, despite its billing as a family coaster, I found very jarring for such a small, coaster. About the intensity of those rickety coasters you find at fairs. (thematically appropriate). Really short too -- worth it if its a walk-on only, but extremely skippable.
SDMT and BTMRR I find smooth, exciting but not what I would categorize as intense. small drops - twisting turns - but not really intense.
Primeval Whirl is a mouse coaster .. so those sudden 180 degree turns can be thrilling, but no more intense than going on the teacups.

When Rip Ride Rockit first opened I got stuck at the top of the 90 degree angle while in the front row for a good thirty minutes. All I could see was the sky. My legs went NUMB. That being said, I'd say the most intense coaster at Disney is about 25% the intensity of Rip Ride Rockit.

The most intense ride for me is TOT. It depends, is it the drops that are too intense for you, or it is speed and loops. If it is drops that get to you, try RNRC. But if it is speed and loops that get to you, try SM and EE.

Rock and Roller coaster gives me a headache when I get off it.

It’s the most intense coaster by a long shot in my opinion

EE going backwards also feels intense but that goes quick. The drop doesn’t feel like a crazy drop. It’s fun

Reading with interest as I too am nervous about trying RnR.

I can say though that Everest is awesome. My favourite ride at WDW. I feel like it’s slightly more intense than BTMR, but in a fun way. My feeling is that if you can do Space Mountain, then Everest should be okay.

ToT meanwhile is pretty intense. I still really enjoy it, but for me the backwards feeling of Everest is easier on my stomach than the dropping feeling of ToT.

OP, I would be interested to know if you also tried The Mummy, and if so, how did you find it? My DS wants me to try Rip Rockit as well and I’m quite scared. I’m wondering if The Mummy might be a better compromise?

I would recommend trying EE first. It is a bit more intense than BTMR because there is a portion that goes backwards and there is one pretty big drop, but it doesn’t go upside down at all. If that goes okay, then think about trying RnR. The good thing about RnR is that it is so fast it will be over before you know it, lol. But imo RnR is the most intense.
The over before you know it part is important - that was the worst part of tip ride Rockit was it just kept going and going! You can watch a video of yourself afterwards and in the video you can see my mouth moving the whole time because I kept saying “wait it’s not over yet? why isn’t it over yet? why is there still more?”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter