Any Updates On Construction At Aulani

pixiedust71

Earning My Ears
Anyone have recent photos of the construction going on at Aulani? A few weeks ago I saw someone's pics and it showed the entire walkway between the beach and the pool area had renovation barrier walls. I really, really hope those aren't there for our upcoming trip. For us anyway, it would really take away from the relaxing ambiance.

We left today and the barriers are still up. As a matter of fact the jack hammering today was so bad it made it difficult to talk at times. I am going to contact Member Satisfaction when we get home. They are offering cash discounts due to the construction. The people next to us at the pool today said they received a significant savings because of the construction when they booked.

So disappointed to hear that!!

I'm confused, why are there barriers all along the beach? I thought all the construction was over by the quiet pool area?

So disappointed to hear that!!

I'm confused, why are there barriers all along the beach? I thought all the construction was over by the quiet pool area?

Perhaps the photos posted by BobNed on 12/21/2012 on the Aulani Villas & Views thread will help put some of the construction walls in perspective. See Post #230, which has several photos of the construction at Aulani.

Most of the construction and new features, such as the seconds kids' water play area and new infinity pool, will be in the area between the Wailana Pool Bar and the beach. You can see this area in BobNed's first photo. Aulani is also extending/tweaking a lot of the Aulani property that fronts the lagoon from the Wailana area across to the Ama Ama Restaurant area. There is still a walkway with stairs and a HA ramp to get from the main pool to the beach.

I'm not sure if the temporary construction walls are that intrusive when you are looking at the ocean from the main pool. Aulani's main pool area is elevated about 10-15 feet above the beach -- that is why you have to go down some steps or use a ramp to get from the resort to the beach area. Because of this elevation difference, the temporary construction walls that front the lagoon (see BobNed's third photo) are below you when you are at the main pool. I'm not sure if this photo gives the proper perspective, but it was taken from the edge of the main pool's sitting area that is closest to the beach. The walkway you see in my photo is the same walkway you can see in BobNed's third photo.

file-18.jpg

Won't you be at Aulani soon? You'll be our "flipflops on the ground" so you'll be able to report back as to what is actually going on at Aulani.

Just there 1/9/13 - 1/17/13. They have construction at two locations. The largest site is near the one tower (infinity pool and splash area) and a smaller one in front of Ama-Ama (for a beach entrance). The noise was minimal.

Just there 1/9/13 - 1/17/13. They have construction at two locations. The largest site is near the one tower (infinity pool and splash area) and a smaller one in front of Ama-Ama (for a beach entrance). The noise was minimal.

Thanks for information! Does the construction near Ama-Ama impede the view to the beach when you are eating at that restaurant?

Perhaps the photos posted by BobNed on 12/21/2012 on the Aulani Villas & Views thread will help put some of the construction walls in perspective. See Post #230, which has several photos of the construction at Aulani.

Most of the construction and new features, such as the seconds kids' water play area and new infinity pool, will be in the area between the Wailana Pool Bar and the beach. You can see this area in BobNed's first photo. Aulani is also extending/tweaking a lot of the Aulani property that fronts the lagoon from the Wailana area across to the Ama Ama Restaurant area. There is still a walkway with stairs and a HA ramp to get from the main pool to the beach.

I'm not sure if the temporary construction walls are that intrusive when you are looking at the ocean from the main pool. Aulani's main pool area is elevated about 10-15 feet above the beach -- that is why you have to go down some steps or use a ramp to get from the resort to the beach area. Because of this elevation difference, the temporary construction walls that front the lagoon (see BobNed's third photo) are below you when you are at the main pool. I'm not sure if this photo gives the proper perspective, but it was taken from the edge of the main pool's sitting area that is closest to the beach. The walkway you see in my photo is the same walkway you can see in BobNed's third photo.

file-18.jpg

Won't you be at Aulani soon? You'll be our "flipflops on the ground" so you'll be able to report back as to what is actually going on at Aulani.

BobNed's photos were the ones I remembered seeing that got us a little depressed. I never expected that when we visited there would be those barrier walls all along the walkway. Just thought the construction walls would be over by the Waianaie Building by the pool.

I'm sure we will have a great trip but those walls will just take away the feeling of being in paradise -- sitting on the beach and looking back to a wall of barriers isn't very peaceful. And strolling along the walkway at night with huge walls next to you kinda takes away from the beautiful nighttime experience we were expecting. --Sigh

When it is a trip that we probably won't be able to take again for at least another 10 years or more, you just really want everything to be perfect. Wish we would have know about the construction before we booked and booked the airfare.

But, alas, I know we are very fortunate just to be able to take a trip to Hawaii! I know our kids will have wonderful memories.

BobNed's photos were the ones I remembered seeing that got us a little depressed. I never expected that when we visited there would be those barrier walls all along the walkway. Just thought the construction walls would be over by the Waianaie Building by the pool.

I'm sure we will have a great trip but those walls will just take away the feeling of being in paradise -- sitting on the beach and looking back to a wall of barriers isn't very peaceful. And strolling along the walkway at night with huge walls next to you kinda takes away from the beautiful nighttime experience we were expecting. --Sigh

When it is a trip that we probably won't be able to take again for at least another 10 years or more, you just really want everything to be perfect. Wish we would have know about the construction before we booked and booked the airfare.

But, alas, I know we are very fortunate just to be able to take a trip to Hawaii! I know our kids will have wonderful memories.

Know how you feel. We are going the second week of May. I am hoping they finish early. They are still saying mid 2013. I guess that would be June 1. We really like walking the beach and walkways at resorts that we stay at. I just keep thinking that the walls will detract from that. Either way, we have already booked the room and flights. So we are set. But I am determined to make the best of it.

The construction is visible from AMA AMA, but I wouldn't say it impedes the view. Was just there yesterday. It's not blocking any view, but you can see it if you look down instead of out to sea. It's still unbelievably beautiful at sunset. Alas, we were disappointed in the food :(

The construction is visible from AMA AMA, but I wouldn't say it impedes the view. Was just there yesterday. It's not blocking any view, but you can see it if you look down instead of out to sea. It's still unbelievably beautiful at sunset. Alas, we were disappointed in the food :(
I agree. Just don't look down and you will be fine. We were disappointed with the food as well and felt very rushed.

We arrived on 1/18 and noise was minimal until yesterday. The jack hammering coming from the area of the infinity pool was very loud and lasted most of the day. We were sitting in the area near Off the Hook on the far side of the pool from the area the jack hammering was coming from. The noise from the construction going on near Ama Ama was minimal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter