Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

nomorethan8

Mouseketeer
Just curious. Wondering if any new word since the initial announcement of the new DVC cabins at the Fort, has been announced. Or if any prep work has been seen done at the Fort. We were there in early August and saw nothing. You would think rumors would be swirling by now, about when things are going to start. It crosses my mind that Disney has announced hotels and DVC resorts before and then not followed through and let the idea die.

There’s been some discussion about this on the DVC boards, specifically that any official word has disappeared from Disney-controlled websites. It’s possible the conversion has been delayed or even cancelled, presumably due to financial issues, but I’m not sure anyone here knows (or if they know, they’re not saying).

There’s been some discussion about this on the DVC boards, specifically that any official word has disappeared from Disney-controlled websites. It’s possible the conversion has been delayed or even cancelled, presumably due to financial issues, but I’m not sure anyone here knows (or if they know, they’re not saying).
Interesting!! IIRC that's exactly what happened when Reflections was cancelled/postponed. No official word, all reference to it simply disappeared. Then about a year later they announced it was being 'shelved' for the Poly DVC expansion.

I don't know why Disney feels they need to be so opaque. There's nothing wrong with simply saying 'We've had second thoughts about what's best for the property'.

I don't know why Disney feels they need to be so opaque. There's nothing wrong with simply saying 'We've had second thoughts about what's best for the property'.

But the cabins will need to be replaced soon since they are reaching the end (likely) of their useful life. Disney will then have to "fish or cut bait".

But the cabins will need to be replaced soon since they are reaching the end (likely) of their useful life. Disney will then have to "fish or cut bait".

How old are they? Do you think they're structurally unsound or just not worth what it would cost to 'rehab' them? I admit that I haven't paid much attention to them.

I don't really have a problem with the design of the new 'cabins' per se other than that they don't look like cabins, I like a mid-century vibe. If they keep them to the cabin loops and well screened with trees and shrubbery, that's ok by me. I just hope they don't plop 'em down where the cabins are in the 100 loop. I'd much rather they remove the cabins and make those into two more 'preferred' RV sites.

How old are they? Do you think they're structurally unsound or just not worth what it would cost to 'rehab' them? I admit that I haven't paid much attention to them.

I don't really have a problem with the design of the new 'cabins' per se other than that they don't look like cabins, I like a mid-century vibe. If they keep them to the cabin loops and well screened with trees and shrubbery, that's ok by me. I just hope they don't plop 'em down where the cabins are in the 100 loop. I'd much rather they remove the cabins and make those into two more 'preferred' RV sites.
I wouldn't think they are structurally unsound, more like ending the end of their useable life where it will be cheaper to replace rather then fix/rehab. I have stayed in the cabins quite a few times and each one always felt safe, no bouncing as you walk in it etc. I know it's been posted before in the Camping Thread but I can't remember how old the current cabins are. They were all rehabbed in 2017 (maybe 16) with new kitchens, replaced the murphy beds with pull out sleep sofas, and in the spot where they murphy beds were went a 55in HDTV and dresser drawers underneath.

My thought was Disney plans on replacing them and figured they would add the DVC tag to them and have a DVC budget pay for the new cabins instead of coming out of a different budget. Possibly by having DVC pay they get paid off sooner as well. No one knows for sure if they would have sold the cabins as DVC, like what they do at other resorts so someone could have The Fort as their "home resort" or if they just would have added the cabins to DVC inventory for all DVC'rs to book at either the 11 month or 7 month mark as a first come thing.

Yeah I didn't mean structurally unsound. But I would think that the FWC Cabins would have an estimated useful life (for taxes/depreciation purposes) of 27.5 years as a form of manufactured housing per IRS rules.

They've been rehabbed in the last decade and I first stayed in them in 2001 and they were only a few years old (the current models) then. So the cabins may be 25 years old more/less currently. Thus the end of their accounting lifetime is on the horizon. It's not here yet but we can see it in the distance coming at us.:sail:

In this day and age of financial bleeding in other aspects of Disney's empire (movie, streaming, linear tv, ESPN), Disney doesn't want to spend THEIR own money to replace the cabins if they don't HAVE to - they will "borrow" to build DVC cabins and "repay" as people buy Cabin contracts/points. Essentially OTHER PEOPLE (DVC buyers) will pay for the replacement.

I did see a blurb this summer that Disney renewed the construction permit for the staging lot near the old VSTOL strip near the Vista Blvd exit ramp at the MK Toll Booth area. It had been used and planned to support the R**************** construction which is now stalled. But Disney must have plans for the lot if they renewed the permit.

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks @Jimsig and @bama_ed . I hadn't thought about 'repair vs replace' costs. Nor about new cabins 'paying for themselves' via DVC buyers.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the replacement cabins happen or if they've 'ridden off into the sunset' along with The DVC That Must Not Be Named. For now, at least. Hopefully permanently.

I saw something somewhere in passing about a permit being renewed, too. I wonder if it's cheaper/simpler to just keep renewing it vs letting it lapse and having to go through the entire permitting process (plan reviews, EIRs, etc) again especially if they have a suspicion that a new permit wouldn't be approved. I suppose Disney always has something going on somewhere that they could use that permit for to 'improve' that area.

Thanks @Jimsig and @bama_ed . I hadn't thought about 'repair vs replace' costs. Nor about new cabins 'paying for themselves' via DVC buyers.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the replacement cabins happen or if they've 'ridden off into the sunset' along with The DVC That Must Not Be Named. For now, at least. Hopefully permanently.

I saw something somewhere in passing about a permit being renewed, too. I wonder if it's cheaper/simpler to just keep renewing it vs letting it lapse and having to go through the entire permitting process (plan reviews, EIRs, etc) again especially if they have a suspicion that a new permit wouldn't be approved. I suppose Disney always has something going on somewhere that they could use that permit for to 'improve' that area.
With the changes to the Reedy Creek Board etc. they would be crazy to let anything lapse and to keep renewing anything they can.

Yes that's it. Down by the word "Google" bottom middle. They pushed an access road from there up to Frontier Way which could access the current cabin area and also the old River Country area as it did previously.

1694826486798.png

I called it the VSTOL but back in the 70s when WDW was built, there was no V (Vertical). I worked in the industry for a time and now when you see "STOL" its usually VSTOL.

The 5-year length is interesting to me. Either Disney just asked for the maximum extension so they won't have to deal with it soon again or they really intend to use the site for 5 years. Which could be a cabin replacement with DVC and then follow that up with something on the property that's been cleared on the old River Country.

DVC appears to like to offer a range of accommodations including cabins or villas (at WL and Poly for example). The FW cabins replacement might be that side of a complete offering that might still be built on RC to offer 2BR, 1BR, and Studio rooms.

Sad. Ed

Last edited:
The only thing that seems to be under construction at the Fort right now is the Chip 'n' Dale campfire area.

Ignoring the now seemingly permanent barrier wall around what was to be Reflections that is.

Well, on the record we have a Fort DVC Cabin replacement plan and the paused River Country DVC plan.

The cabins are nearing the end of their finanacial/useful lives and will be replaced soon one way or another. The STOL location can be used for staging those ins/outs.

DVC cabins at FW won't take 5 yrs to execute the change. Two years from now at most it will be IMO. Which leaves 3+ years for a River Country redo which was also previously announced but unofficially "paused". My hope is that the Cabin DVC will eliminate the lake front cabins near Trails End that was in the original RC replacement plans. Those lakefront cabins/villas were obtrusive, ugly, and out-of-place. Nevertheless, DVC could have charged a lot of money for those eyesores (and gotten it, sadly).

I think the TE restaurant change went forward to go to a form of Quick Service becuz the River Country replacement will have the Table Service for the area.

My hope is the elimination of the Bay Lake Villas at FW near TE (replaced by the FW DVC Cabins) with a resort only on River Country is the future plan. I think that's the best we can hope for at this point.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Just curious. Wondering if any new word since the initial announcement of the new DVC cabins at the Fort, has been announced. Or if any prep work has been seen done at the Fort. We were there in early August and saw nothing. You would think rumors would be swirling by now, about when things are going to start. It crosses my mind that Disney has announced hotels and DVC resorts before and then not followed through and let the idea die.
I walked around several cabin loops yesterday and there is no sign of any construction yet.

The former STOL runway looks like it has for the last few years -- complete with a security guard at the end to keep people who've seen the vlogs about the former runway from trying to drive through there.

The cabins aren't site-built homes, they are manufactured homes so when they begin rolling off the manufacturing assembly line they'll be trucked in and replaced quickly as production allows using the same footprint, water, sewer and electrical.

If WDW really wanted to and the replacements are produced timely manner this could be finished before the Poly, but that's way too many IF's for a Disney project.

Just posted...

Disney files permits for upcoming DVC Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort

Permits have now been filed for work to begin on the new Disney Vacation Club Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

Disney announced earlier this year that the existing cabins will be converted into a new DVC property comprising 350 updated, environmentally friendly cabins.

The permit is assigned to an Orlando company that has previously done work for Disney on the All Star, Pop Century, and Yacht Club resort refurbishments.

The permit has a longer-than-usual expiration date of May 2025.

In announcing the new cabins, Disney Vacation Club said the design concepts offer a fresh take on the current cabin experience and are inspired by the resort's idyllic setting while paying homage to the resort's unique culture and heritage through the magic of Disney storytelling.

Each cabin will sleep up to six adults, including a bedroom, bathroom, living room, full kitchen, and private patio.

The planned cabins are part of a collection of improvement projects underway at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, including proposed pool and walking trail enhancements and the recently updated expanded dining experiences at Trail's End Restaurant.

The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort – A Disney Vacation Club Resort is planned to open at Walt Disney World in 2024. Disney says that additional information regarding project details, the start of sales, and rental bookings will be released later.

j

This just sent to me from a Fort Friend that was a long time CM.

"It’s moving day for some cabins!! The start of the project of cabin replacement commenced today! Starting with the 2200 loop which is vacant of guests at the fort!!"

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter