Anyone attending Disneyland DVC Tower Grand Opening?

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
I would love to see and hear first hand accounts from people who know the majesty and experience of staying at these amazing Disney hotels particularly in Walt Disneyworld and how the new Disneyland DVC compares. From the outside looking in, even the Grand Californian still looks more special than this new tower. Even though Disney is really drumming up the hype with all these classic touches they have in store , mural, and the lobby to tug on our heartstrings.

I know Paul and the DVC crew will be there, as well as the other well known outlets like WDWNT and Micechat but I would love to see coverage and reviews from actual people who cant afford staying EVERYWHERE and trying EVERYTHING and don’t have special Disney access to appease. I’ll keep my eye on the socials to see if there are lesser known people going and report here. Anyone here attending?

Edit: This is what I’ve found so far for coverage:
https://x.com/dvacationer/status/1706768969326301222?s=46

https://x.com/thedvcshow/status/1706432124667011348?s=46

https://x.com/just_ask_danny/status/1706166493149618254?s=46

Last edited:
Were checking in, preferred view which I assume faces the Monorail pool. Grand California is a great hotel, no question, but the rooms were designed a couple decades ago, anticipating a more modern look. From what I see, we give up balconies for bigger windows with more sunlight. Its more of the vegas look, which should give more of a wow factor when entering. We will see......

Were checking in, preferred view which I assume faces the Monorail pool. Grand California is a great hotel, no question, but the rooms were designed a couple decades ago, anticipating a more modern look. From what I see, we give up balconies for bigger windows with more sunlight. Its more of the vegas look, which should give more of a wow factor when entering. We will see......
All 1 and 2 bedrooms are preferred and half face either pool. So probably 50/50 chance of facing Monorail.

I'm not a fan of the "theme"...I mean, what theme?!? 🤷‍♀️ It's quite disappointing. The grand villa is the worst, every room has a different theme, you don't even know where you are.

I'm not a fan of the "theme"...I mean, what theme?!? 🤷‍♀️ It's quite disappointing. The grand villa is the worst, every room has a different theme, you don't even know where you are.
The "theme" is The Disneyland Hotel. The "theme" is the history of the very first Disney hotel anywhere. The original Disney hotel, the one Walt walked through with Jack and Bonita Wrather. It doesn't need a bunch of junk hung all over it to pretend you're somewhere else or in some other time. You're in the Disneyland Hotel. We don't need a Grand Floridian, because the original is already here, down in Coronado. The same goes for a national park lodge. We've got one of those up in Yosemite. We also don't need a "Polynesian" themed hotel as the one in Florida was designed by a bunch of guys up in Glendale who had likely never even been to Hawaii or anywhere in Polynesia, and was modeled after Southern California Tiki culture/bars. Oh, and the original Trader Sam's is here too.

More to the theming, the existing 3 towers carry on the mid century modern design language that has existed at the hotel since its inception in the 1950's. The new tower meshes perfectly with that theming (and they've even refreshed some of the traditional theming that had lost its distinctive look in the other three towers while they were at it). The garden studios are a direct homage to the original rooms (called the North and South Garden rooms) of that original mid century, 2-story hotel. As the hotel grew and the towers were built, one by one, that mid century styling was maintained. It sometimes fell victim to popular trends in the 70's and 80's, but it has always had that MCM backbone lying just under the veneer, and it shines through again now. The redevelopment of the west end of Downtown Disney into a very strong Mid Century motif further reinforces the overall design continuity.

The animation theming of the rooms is also an homage to the rich tradition of Disney here in Southern California. Disney animation was born here, set new standards for technical advances in animated filmmaking here, won awards here, and established the legacy that every single other Disney endeavor around the world owes its existence to. Without Burbank and Glendale and the amazing history of Disney animated filmmaking, absolutely nothing else anywhere would exist today. To showcase that amazing legacy, from the Steamboat Willie splash pad to the Tiana guest rooms, and everything in between celebrates that legacy and is well-earned and long-overdue. The multi-colored panels adorning the sides of the tower (with informative plaques at the base of each) depict the animation color palettes for many of the classic animated films, announcing to the visitor even from a distance that the tower is a first and foremost a celebration of the entire history of Disney animation, carefully enclosed in a fitting mid century modern display case. I think it is perfectly themed.

Last edited:
The "theme" is The Disneyland Hotel. The "theme" is the history of the very first Disney hotel anywhere. The original Disney hotel, the one Walt walked through with Jack and Bonita Wrather. It doesn't need a bunch of junk hung all over it to pretend you're somewhere else or in some other time. You're in the Disneyland Hotel.

The existing 3 towers carry on the mid century modern design language that has existed at the hotel since its inception in the 1950's. The new tower meshes perfectly with that theming (and they've even refreshed some of the traditional theming that had lost its distinctive look in the other three towers while they were at it). The garden studios are a direct homage to the original rooms (called the North and South Garden rooms) of that original mid century, 2-story hotel. As the hotel grew and the towers were built, one by one, that mid century styling was maintained. It sometimes fell victim to popular trends in the 70's and 80's, but it has always had that MCM backbone lying just under the veneer, and it shines through again now.

The animation theming of the rooms is also an homage to the rich tradition of Disney here in Southern California. Disney animation was born here, set new standards for technical advances in animated film making here, won awards here, and established the legacy that every single other Disney endeavor around the world owes its existence to. Without Burbank and Glendale and the amazing history of Disney animated filmmaking, absolutely nothing else anywhere would exist today. To showcase that amazing legacy, from the Steamboat Willie splash pad to the Tiana guest rooms, and everything in between seems well-earned and long-overdue. The multi-colored panels adorning the sides of the tower (with informative plaques at the base of each) depict the animation color palettes for many of the classic animated films, announcing to the visitor even from a distance that the tower is a first and foremost a celebration of the entire history of Disney animation, carefully enclosed in a fitting mid century modern display case.
We haven't seen it (from the inside) in person but it seems from all the photos and videos that it's actually more themed than most DVCs. I'm really excited. The filmstrip color stories is so cool. I love the character silhouettes around the door frames. And the D shape of the hallways. And well... Tink even flying on the building once an hour. 5 more days til our first trip there!

We haven't seen it (from the inside) in person but it seems from all the photos and videos that it's actually more themed than most DVCs. I'm really excited. The filmstrip color stories is so cool. I love the character silhouettes around the door frames. And the D shape of the hallways. And well... Tink even flying on the building once an hour. 5 more days til our first trip there!
The theming is "the legacy and history of The Walt Disney Company and Disney Animation in Southern California". As I said, it's an homage to everything that caused everything else to exist.

I had to LOL 😆 because I knew that would trigger a response from someone…popcorn::
The "theme" is The Disneyland Hotel. The "theme" is the history of the very first Disney hotel anywhere. The original Disney hotel, the one Walt walked through with Jack and Bonita Wrather. It doesn't need a bunch of junk hung all over it to pretend you're somewhere else or in some other time. You're in the Disneyland Hotel. We don't need a Grand Floridian, because the original is already here, down in Coronado. The same goes for a national park lodge. We've got one of those up in Yosemite. We also don't need a "Polynesian" themed hotel as the one in Florida was designed by a bunch of guys up in Glendale who had likely never even been to Hawaii or anywhere in Polynesia, and was modeled after Southern California Tiki culture/bars. Oh, and the original Trader Sam's is here too.

More to the theming, the existing 3 towers carry on the mid century modern design language that has existed at the hotel since its inception in the 1950's. The new tower meshes perfectly with that theming (and they've even refreshed some of the traditional theming that had lost its distinctive look in the other three towers while they were at it). The garden studios are a direct homage to the original rooms (called the North and South Garden rooms) of that original mid century, 2-story hotel. As the hotel grew and the towers were built, one by one, that mid century styling was maintained. It sometimes fell victim to popular trends in the 70's and 80's, but it has always had that MCM backbone lying just under the veneer, and it shines through again now. The redevelopment of the west end of Downtown Disney into a very strong Mid Century motif further reinforces the overall design continuity.

The animation theming of the rooms is also an homage to the rich tradition of Disney here in Southern California. Disney animation was born here, set new standards for technical advances in animated filmmaking here, won awards here, and established the legacy that every single other Disney endeavor around the world owes its existence to. Without Burbank and Glendale and the amazing history of Disney animated filmmaking, absolutely nothing else anywhere would exist today. To showcase that amazing legacy, from the Steamboat Willie splash pad to the Tiana guest rooms, and everything in between celebrates that legacy and is well-earned and long-overdue. The multi-colored panels adorning the sides of the tower (with informative plaques at the base of each) depict the animation color palettes for many of the classic animated films, announcing to the visitor even from a distance that the tower is a first and foremost a celebration of the entire history of Disney animation, carefully enclosed in a fitting mid century modern display case. I think it is perfectly themed.
🎉…what an epic tribute! I loved what I saw but your essay inspires further admiration for what DVD did on this project. A homerun turned into a walkoff grand slam bottom of the ninth victory. Bravo!
T-minus 6 for us! So regretting not trying harder to get first weekend reservations with all the unique swag! I can’t wait!

Tink even flying on the building once an hour.
And remember, Tinkerbell greeted viewers to Walt’s original TV show, Walt Disney’s Disneyland, and was the highlight of the Disneyland fireworks show from its inception.

Absolutely nothing about that new tower was done without careful thought, planning, and a nod to Disneyland history.

Last edited:
And remember, Tinkerbell greeted viewers to Walt’s original TV show, Walt Disney’s Disneyland, and was the highlight of the Disneyland fireworks show from its inception.
And that's why Tinkerbell is my favorite character. Can't watch a show every Sunday night for years and not love the character that opened the curtain to that night's subject. And to Walt, who was like an uncle to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter